Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know of a local police/sheriff department

Anyone know of a local police/sheriff department

willing to take non-resident conceal carry permits by mail, instead of in person?

I live in Missouri, which honours Washington's permits, and my job will not allow me to openly carry a firearm even though i work at night and deal with all the drunks from the 3 bars that are within a 5 minute walk of where I work (and it costs WAY too much to get a permit in Missouri, at least for me, since no one in my area does the class on my days off meaning I would need to take off 2 days to take the class... and so on).
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.
    If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
    Find businesses that are pro gun and those that aren't. Support Friend or Foe by using it!

• Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

I doubt you'll find one. You've got to show id and be fingerprinted. Not going to happen via mail.

If you are a resident of Missouri, I do not believe that the Wa CPL would be acceptable for you. I think you would have to be a non resident for it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Dr View Post
    If you are a resident of Missouri, I do not believe that the WA CPL would be acceptable for you. I think you would have to be a non resident for it to work.
    I had to reread your post a few times as he was asking about a non resident not a resident license.
    Last edited by BigDave; 02-16-2012 at 02:34 AM.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    If he is a resident of Missouri with out a permit then a Washington Non Resident Permit would be correct.

This is what I am asking about. The site says I have to apply at a local law enforcement agency, but I cannot make the drive to Washington to do it in person, hence my question of knowing any agencies that will do it by mail or fax (since I can get fingerprinted by my local police and send that to them, did it for non-resident Florida but they stopped the workaround in their training requirements).
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.
    If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
    Find businesses that are pro gun and those that aren't. Support Friend or Foe by using it!

Quote Originally Posted by Verd View Post
    This is what I am asking about. The site says I have to apply at a local law enforcement agency, but I cannot make the drive to Washington to do it in person, hence my question of knowing any agencies that will do it by mail or fax (since I can get fingerprinted by my local police and send that to them, did it for non-resident Florida but they stopped the workaround in their training requirements).
    I believe Washington does not accept applications through the mail but in person only, but being a non resident you can apply at any location city or county but they have up to 60 days to process. It likely would be easier for you to just apply in your home state.
    Here is the RCW http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.070

Nope, not easier in the least.

$100-$200 for the class (8 hours + 100 rounds to fire, but these requirements have recently been doubled) x2 since my wife needs to be able to carry as well.
    Saturday only classes, meaning I have to take off 2 days of work costing me $200 and $100 for my wife, plus babysitting expenses (discount, sometimes, if couples take the training together)
    Drive time, meals, gas, ect.

It all adds up. Last time I did the math, I was spending over $650 which was the amount I spent on both are open carry firearms and more than I spent for 2 weeks on the beach in Florida for vacation with my family.

EDIT: Dur, you mean easier in regards to the drive time. Yeah, it would be, but that is why I am asking to see *shrug*
    Last edited by Verd; 02-16-2012 at 05:24 AM.

well,,,

why washington?
    check out handgunlawus.com
    lots of states issue non resident permits, cheaply and simply, by mail.
    missouri honors all out of state and non resident permits.

a point some tried to make is that, some states will not honor your out of state non resident permit, if you are a resident of that state.
    for instance, i am a resident of washington, washington honors a utah non resident permit, but not mine!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

An argumentative visitor. Lovely.

No, you can't get a Washington CPL by mail.

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    a point some tried to make is that, some states will not honor your out of state non resident permit, if you are a resident of that state.
    for instance, i am a resident of washington, washington honors a utah non resident permit, but not mine!
    This is what I would be concerned about. I suggest Verd you verify your state laws, to make sure with you being a resident of the state that they will honor a non-resident permit from you...
    Last edited by slapmonkay; 02-16-2012 at 11:44 AM.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Verd View Post

$100-$200 for the class (8 hours + 100 rounds to fire, but these requirements have recently been doubled) x2 since my wife needs to be able to carry as well.
    Saturday only classes, meaning I have to take off 2 days of work costing me $200 and $100 for my wife, plus babysitting expenses (discount, sometimes, if couples take the training together)
    Drive time, meals, gas, ect.

It all adds up. Last time I did the math, I was spending over $650 which was the amount I spent on both are open carry firearms and more than I spent for 2 weeks on the beach in Florida for vacation with my family.

EDIT: Dur, you mean easier in regards to the drive time. Yeah, it would be, but that is why I am asking to see *shrug*
    Easier is not always the best nor practical in accomplishing a tasked as this. Since Washington State I do not believe will let someone out of state to mail in their application so that option would be off the table.

Not wanting to obtain your home of residency concealed pistol license the only other options.
    • Find another state that would accept a mail in non resident application that Washington will honor a non resident license.
    • Pack up the family and drive to Washington and apply for the license and then drive home and wait the 60 days and then return to Washington to work for a period of time so you can conceal carry. (no cost of baby sitters but the gas prices or airline tickets, food, hotels....)

Easier! lol I would not think so and are you getting my drift? Your choice to avoid getting a license from your home state due to cost and time may cost you more in the long run.

It would be easier and cheaper at home.

It would have been nice if the national right to carry bill had passed.
    Last edited by BigDave; 02-16-2012 at 01:01 PM.

Unfortunately, as easy as it is to get a permit in WA, fill out the application, get your fingerprints electronically checked, (that is why you have to be physically present in the state) pay your $55.25...and depending on the county, wait up to 60 days. With Okanogan county, you would probably have your permit waiting in the mail when you got home.

No Sheriff will allow someone else to take those finerprints for a permit issued by them...

link to applicable RCW:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.070

"(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours."

nothing in the RCW disallows a mailed in application, but I agree I would be surprised that any sheriff would allow a mail in application, in my opinion.

Regular Member WinchesterModel12's Avatar
    http://handgunlaw.us/states/washington.pdf

At the top of page 2 is the information you are looking for.

Maybe try another state that is closer to you.
    If guns kill people......then all of mine are defective........ UNCLE TED

Well, I just read through RCW 9.41.070, and I find no positive REQUIREMENT in the RCW that you apply in person...so...

I sent an Email to Sheriff Rogers and asked him if he would entertain an application from out-of-state by mail, Why why not, did I miss something in RCW 9.41.070?

We'll see if he replys. Okanogan County is about as 2A friendly a county as exists in WA, so....we'll see.

I also have not seen it written in the RCW's but it does have it on the application as seen here http://www.ci.bothell.wa.us/Site/Content/Public Safety/Police/CPLApplication.pdf

On page 2 at the top

You can use this form to apply for a concealed pistol license. To submit your application you must;
    take any of the following items to your local law enforcement agency;

blah blah blah....

Or at this link http://www.ci.blackdiamond.wa.us/Dep...lication__.pdf at the top of the page.

FIR-652-007 seems to be a form prepared by the State of Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    Well, I just read through RCW 9.41.070, and I find no positive REQUIREMENT in the RCW that you apply in person...so...

I sent an Email to Sheriff Rogers and asked him if he would entertain an application from out-of-state by mail, Why why not, did I miss something in RCW 9.41.070?

We'll see if he replys. Okanogan County is about as 2A friendly a county as exists in WA, so....we'll see.
    I'd love to see how they're going to check your ID through the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by dadada View Post
    I'd love to see how they're going to check your ID through the mail.
    Hmmm wonder how Utah and other States do it photocopy maybe sorry just had to add a little humor to it.

The fingerprints should be enough ID. Certified from some LE outfit in your local area. Preferably electronicly captured,\

I can see methods that COULD work, the question is, will the local Sheriff allow it? He is not required to accept applications by mail, and I know they want to get those electronic fingerprints...makes their job easier,,, can't do that unless you are present.

Thanks all.

In regards to the fingerprinting... many states that allow non-resident permits simply have you get the fingerprint forms from the state you are requesting the non-resident permit from, take said fingerprint forms to your local police, they fingerprint you and sign off on it all legal like, then you send said fingerprint forms back to the state you are requesting the non-resident permit from. Happens all the time. Of course, doesn't work if they ONLY accept electronic fingerprints.
    Last edited by Verd; 02-17-2012 at 02:41 AM.

Hej Verd! This is what I go back from the Okanogan county Sheriff's office:

"The Okanogan County Sheriff’s Office will accept an application by mail. However, in order for the license to be issued we must verify your identity, you must sign the license and if the license is an original you must be fingerprinted. "

I have asked for and acceptable form of verifying identy and obtaining fingerprints.. Will post the answer if/when I receive one.

OK Verd!

Installment #2 from the Okanogan Sheriff's office:

"The whole process is agency specific. He could have his fingerprints submitted electronically from another state, but the return would not come to us.

We would have to physically lay eyes on him to verify his identity and he would need to sign the license in our presence.

Have you contacted the Department of Licensing?"

For your holidays this summer, come to beautiful Washington state and go hiking, and apply while you are here, any sheriff's office, usually takes about 15 minutes. Maybe? if you make your application by mail, and make arrangements with the Sheriff's office, you could come in have your fingerprints done on their electronic scanner, and walk out with your CPL the same day rather than have it mailed.

BTW: while you are recreating in our great state, you can OC or CC without a license, so come, have a good time hiking, skiing, hunting, fishing, horseback riding, camping....etc....whatever turns your family crank. Way better than FL.

Oh yes, you can OC on the way here to: in ID, MT, WY (most of) CO (just not Denver)....
    Last edited by hermannr; 02-17-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Hej Verd! This is what I go back from the Okanogan county Sheriff's office:

"The Okanogan County Sheriff’s Office will accept an application by mail. However, in order for the license to be issued we must verify your identity, you must sign the license and if the license is an original you must be fingerprinted. "

I have asked for and acceptable form of verifying identy and obtaining fingerprints.. Will post the answer if/when I receive one.
    OK Verd!

"The whole process is agency specific. He could have his fingerprints submitted electronically from another state, but the return would not come to us.

We would have to physically lay eyes on him to verify his identity and he would need to sign the license in our presence.

Have you contacted the Department of Licensing?"

For your holidays this summer, come to beautiful Washington state and go hiking, and apply while you are here, any sheriff's office, usually takes about 15 minutes. Maybe? if you make your application by mail, and make arrangements with the Sheriff's office, you could come in have your fingerprints done on their electronic scanner, and walk out with your CPL the same day rather than have it mailed.

BTW: while you are recreating in our great state, you can OC or CC without a license, so come, have a good time hiking, skiing, hunting, fishing, horseback riding, camping....etc....whatever turns your family crank. Way better than FL.

Oh yes, you can OC on the way here to: in ID, MT, WY (most of) CO (just not Denver)....
    Thanks so very much for the confirmations and whatnot!

OK Verd!
    hernannr that is pretty good of you going the extra mile on this.
    Issues are still in play, once the sheriff office accepts the fingerprints how low would it take for them to process (likely up to 60 days) and then to get an appointment after everything is ran and approved to sign and verify their identity, seems to be quite cumbersome versus just obtaining a resident cpl in his/her home state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast