• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone know of a local police/sheriff department

Verd

Campaign Veteran
willing to take non-resident conceal carry permits by mail, instead of in person?

I live in Missouri, which honours Washington's permits, and my job will not allow me to openly carry a firearm even though i work at night and deal with all the drunks from the 3 bars that are within a 5 minute walk of where I work (and it costs WAY too much to get a permit in Missouri, at least for me, since no one in my area does the class on my days off meaning I would need to take off 2 days to take the class... and so on).

Trigger Dr

If you are a resident of Missouri, I do not believe that the Wa CPL would be acceptable for you. I think you would have to be a non resident for it to work.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
If you are a resident of Missouri, I do not believe that the WA CPL would be acceptable for you. I think you would have to be a non resident for it to work.

I had to reread your post a few times as he was asking about a non resident not a resident license.

Last edited:

Verd

Campaign Veteran
If he is a resident of Missouri with out a permit then a Washington Non Resident Permit would be correct.

This is what I am asking about. The site says I have to apply at a local law enforcement agency, but I cannot make the drive to Washington to do it in person, hence my question of knowing any agencies that will do it by mail or fax (since I can get fingerprinted by my local police and send that to them, did it for non-resident Florida but they stopped the workaround in their training requirements).

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
This is what I am asking about. The site says I have to apply at a local law enforcement agency, but I cannot make the drive to Washington to do it in person, hence my question of knowing any agencies that will do it by mail or fax (since I can get fingerprinted by my local police and send that to them, did it for non-resident Florida but they stopped the workaround in their training requirements).

I believe Washington does not accept applications through the mail but in person only, but being a non resident you can apply at any location city or county but they have up to 60 days to process. It likely would be easier for you to just apply in your home state.
Here is the RCW http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.070

Verd

Campaign Veteran
Nope, not easier in the least.

$100-$200 for the class (8 hours + 100 rounds to fire, but these requirements have recently been doubled) x2 since my wife needs to be able to carry as well.
Saturday only classes, meaning I have to take off 2 days of work costing me $200 and $100 for my wife, plus babysitting expenses (discount, sometimes, if couples take the training together)
Drive time, meals, gas, ect.

It all adds up. Last time I did the math, I was spending over $650 which was the amount I spent on both are open carry firearms and more than I spent for 2 weeks on the beach in Florida for vacation with my family.

EDIT: Dur, you mean easier in regards to the drive time. Yeah, it would be, but that is why I am asking to see *shrug*

Last edited:

1245A Defender

well,,,

why washington?
check out handgunlawus.com
lots of states issue non resident permits, cheaply and simply, by mail.
missouri honors all out of state and non resident permits.

a point some tried to make is that, some states will not honor your out of state non resident permit, if you are a resident of that state.
for instance, i am a resident of washington, washington honors a utah non resident permit, but not mine!

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
a point some tried to make is that, some states will not honor your out of state non resident permit, if you are a resident of that state.
for instance, i am a resident of washington, washington honors a utah non resident permit, but not mine!

This is what I would be concerned about. I suggest Verd you verify your state laws, to make sure with you being a resident of the state that they will honor a non-resident permit from you...

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Nope, not easier in the least.

$100-$200 for the class (8 hours + 100 rounds to fire, but these requirements have recently been doubled) x2 since my wife needs to be able to carry as well.
Saturday only classes, meaning I have to take off 2 days of work costing me $200 and $100 for my wife, plus babysitting expenses (discount, sometimes, if couples take the training together)
Drive time, meals, gas, ect.

It all adds up. Last time I did the math, I was spending over $650 which was the amount I spent on both are open carry firearms and more than I spent for 2 weeks on the beach in Florida for vacation with my family.

EDIT: Dur, you mean easier in regards to the drive time. Yeah, it would be, but that is why I am asking to see *shrug*

Easier is not always the best nor practical in accomplishing a tasked as this. Since Washington State I do not believe will let someone out of state to mail in their application so that option would be off the table.

Not wanting to obtain your home of residency concealed pistol license the only other options.
  • Find another state that would accept a mail in non resident application that Washington will honor a non resident license.
  • Pack up the family and drive to Washington and apply for the license and then drive home and wait the 60 days and then return to Washington to work for a period of time so you can conceal carry. (no cost of baby sitters but the gas prices or airline tickets, food, hotels....)
Easier! lol I would not think so and are you getting my drift? Your choice to avoid getting a license from your home state due to cost and time may cost you more in the long run.

It would be easier and cheaper at home.

It would have been nice if the national right to carry bill had passed.

Last edited:

hermannr

Unfortunately, as easy as it is to get a permit in WA, fill out the application, get your fingerprints electronically checked, (that is why you have to be physically present in the state) pay your $55.25...and depending on the county, wait up to 60 days. With Okanogan county, you would probably have your permit waiting in the mail when you got home.

No Sheriff will allow someone else to take those finerprints for a permit issued by them...

Vitaeus

link to applicable RCW:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.070

"(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours."

nothing in the RCW disallows a mailed in application, but I agree I would be surprised that any sheriff would allow a mail in application, in my opinion.

hermannr

Well, I just read through RCW 9.41.070, and I find no positive REQUIREMENT in the RCW that you apply in person...so...

I sent an Email to Sheriff Rogers and asked him if he would entertain an application from out-of-state by mail, Why why not, did I miss something in RCW 9.41.070?

We'll see if he replys. Okanogan County is about as 2A friendly a county as exists in WA, so....we'll see.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I also have not seen it written in the RCW's but it does have it on the application as seen here http://www.ci.bothell.wa.us/Site/Content/Public Safety/Police/CPLApplication.pdf

On page 2 at the top

You can use this form to apply for a concealed pistol license. To submit your application you must;
take any of the following items to your local law enforcement agency;

blah blah blah....

Or at this link http://www.ci.blackdiamond.wa.us/Depts/Police/Docs/WA_CPL_Application__.pdf at the top of the page.

FIR-652-007 seems to be a form prepared by the State of Washington.

dadada

Well, I just read through RCW 9.41.070, and I find no positive REQUIREMENT in the RCW that you apply in person...so...

I sent an Email to Sheriff Rogers and asked him if he would entertain an application from out-of-state by mail, Why why not, did I miss something in RCW 9.41.070?

We'll see if he replys. Okanogan County is about as 2A friendly a county as exists in WA, so....we'll see.

I'd love to see how they're going to check your ID through the mail.

hermannr

The fingerprints should be enough ID. Certified from some LE outfit in your local area. Preferably electronicly captured,\

I can see methods that COULD work, the question is, will the local Sheriff allow it? He is not required to accept applications by mail, and I know they want to get those electronic fingerprints...makes their job easier,,, can't do that unless you are present.