• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

USDA Food Police rejects preschooler's brownbag lunch, provides 'chicken nuggets'

PistolPackingMomma

Ahh, what is "well-done home schooling," surely not the race card? The essential principle of home schooling is eliminating tyrannical mandates.

The essential principle of home schooling is to effectively EDUCATE your child in a manner adaptive to their personalities, rather than running them all through the same meat grinder with only one way of learning. Added bonus; teaching them actual facts and knowledge, and how to USE it, rather than the 'government approved' curriculum.

JoeSparky

Centurion
The essential principle of home schooling is to effectively EDUCATE your child in a manner adaptive to their personalities, rather than running them all through the same meat grinder with only one way of learning. Added bonus; teaching them actual facts and knowledge, and how to USE it, rather than the 'government approved' curriculum.

Agreed with the addition of, teaching the students to think critically. Why and how not just facts. Indoctrination is what is done in too many PUBLIC schools. I remember experiencing it when I was in 4th grade in So. California. Shame on MRS. Gruener for that! It is a shame that I still remember her name and the indoctrination that she did... but nothing else! 1965-66 school year was a LONG time ago!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Public school has many benefits for growing kids, especially needed social development, but school was never meant to be hands-off to the parents.

"Needed social development"? The homeschooled children I've met did very well with their social skills. Friendliest, most outgoing, self-confident, bunch I've ever met.

Some talk as though home-schooled kids are never let out of the house and have no friends. They never go to the public pool, the playground, the skatepark, Boy Scouts, play video games with the neighbor kids, etc., etc., etc.

I'm always wondering what exactly are these vague and amorphous so-called "social skills" that can only be learned in public schools.

babarock

It is these things plus more.

We were teaching Tori to read, mathematics and to observe the science and world around her constantly.

While she was mastering +-*/, same age neighbor's daughter was learning how to glue glitter and pasta on a paper plate. While she was using Algebra to learn how to think logically, same age neighbor's daughter was failing two apples and you give one to the less fortunate how many are left? While the neighbor's daughter is trying to write sentences that are readable in English, Tori is a published poet and has chosen to learn Japanese as a second language because she likes Japanese animation.

And while maintaining a A average, she has earned a Second Degree Black Belt in American Karate, will test this fall for her third Degree, has successfully competed in tournaments around the Southeast, has earned the highest belt possible in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu until she turns 16. She is also a paid instructor and mentors students as they work toward getting their Black Belt. She is also a fine marksman with multiple firearms. We expect she will complete her high school studies two years early and can then decide which mountains she wants to master. The only thing off the table is President of the United States, but then I'd just as soon she picked an honorable job.

As for the 'Ahh, what is "well-done home schooling," surely not the race card?' comment, beats me as to what you're referring. Tori is Chinese, her teachers, companions, fellow students and kids she teaches - literally span the globe in their origins.

ncwabbit

got to love the twist of this story that went viral where a 4th grader's teacher misrepresented the story as the child did not have a dairy product w/their lunch. the Hoke school board (http://ladyliberty1885.wordpress.co...-teachers-fault-oh-and-conservative-bloggers/) has stated the teacher did 'not cooperate' with their investigation!

she resigned!!(.http://www.nccivitas.org/2012/chick...n-tears-under-questioning-before-resignation/)

bottom line, teacher flat out lied about the circumstances!! Unfortunately, not sure it will prevent her from getting another teaching position.

wabbit

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
"Needed social development"? The homeschooled children I've met did very well with their social skills. ....

I did not mean to imply that homeschooling cannot provide social development, but it is not automatic as it is with public school.

sudden valley gunner

"Needed social development"? The homeschooled children I've met did very well with their social skills. Friendliest, most outgoing, self-confident, bunch I've ever met.

Some talk as though home-schooled kids are never let out of the house and have no friends. They never go to the public pool, the playground, the skatepark, Boy Scouts, play video games with the neighbor kids, etc., etc., etc.

I'm always wondering what exactly are these vague and amorphous so-called "social skills" that can only be learned in public schools.

Promiscuity and drug use.....lol.....:eek:

Jack House

Pretty much every homeschooled individual I've spoken with agrees that homeschooled children tend to have, at the least, a slight disadvantage with social skills as opposed to kids that go to school, beit public or private.

I was homeschooled and a lot of my friends were as well. Homeschooling isn't the only thing that can be bad for a kid though, and whatever disadvantages there might be for your child, do not necessarily outweigh the advantages.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Pretty much every homeschooled individual I've spoken with agrees that homeschooled children tend to have, at the least, a slight disadvantage with social skills as opposed to kids that go to school, beit public or private.

I just find that hard to believe. I'm not in disbelief that homeschooled people reported this to you. I'm in disbelief that it is true.

We can list off social skills very quickly. There just are not very many of them.

1. Ability to communicate.

2. Playful banter.

3. White lies.

4. Negotiate transactions.

What's left?

I'm betting homeschooled are feeling a little shortchanged; but, in truth are not. Meaning, its perception thing.

As I think of it further, how many more friends can you have in public school that you wouldn't in homeschool. I mean, how many more friends from who you can actually learn one piece of one of those four listed items above?

A public schooled may feel more inclusion, more belonging to something. But, that is not social development, nor a social skill.

PistolPackingMomma

It is these things plus more.

We were teaching Tori to read, mathematics and to observe the science and world around her constantly.

While she was mastering +-*/, same age neighbor's daughter was learning how to glue glitter and pasta on a paper plate. While she was using Algebra to learn how to think logically, same age neighbor's daughter was failing two apples and you give one to the less fortunate how many are left? While the neighbor's daughter is trying to write sentences that are readable in English, Tori is a published poet and has chosen to learn Japanese as a second language because she likes Japanese animation.

And while maintaining a A average, she has earned a Second Degree Black Belt in American Karate, will test this fall for her third Degree, has successfully competed in tournaments around the Southeast, has earned the highest belt possible in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu until she turns 16. She is also a paid instructor and mentors students as they work toward getting their Black Belt. She is also a fine marksman with multiple firearms. We expect she will complete her high school studies two years early and can then decide which mountains she wants to master. The only thing off the table is President of the United States, but then I'd just as soon she picked an honorable job.

I think that's great, and I completely agree with you! I started in public school, then my mom decided to home school us, and when I was sixteen I attended a local university as an honor student for one semester (paying for my own credits) while working a job, finishing my regular school work and taking a twice weekly Israeli fight class. The next year I worked two jobs and attended a vo-tech school, in addition to finishing up high school. And that's not to mention the dance classes (ballet and swing), volunteering and acting in a local community theatre, making amateur adventure films with my friends, hiking, etc.

The social life as well as the education and the ability to translate that to the real world is invaluable, and something I'm grateful my parents did. I'm going to home school my kids too.

As for the 'Ahh, what is "well-done home schooling," surely not the race card?' comment, beats me as to what you're referring. Tori is Chinese, her teachers, companions, fellow students and kids she teaches - literally span the globe in their origins.

That wasn't me, that comment was left by Herr Heckler Koch. I have no idea what he meant, and I suspect he doesn't either.

I did not mean to imply that homeschooling cannot provide social development, but it is not automatic as it is with public school.

My experience with public school is that you learn how to fake it, but you don't actually learn how to sincerely interact.

I don't agree with that. I think homeschooling gave me the ability to increase my social skills with a greater range of ages and maturity levels, rather than only hanging out with people my own age.

I was homeschooled and a lot of my friends were as well. Homeschooling isn't the only thing that can be bad for a kid though, and whatever disadvantages there might be for your child, do not necessarily outweigh the advantages.

This I do agree with it.

We can list off social skills very quickly. There just are not very many of them.

2. Playful banter.

3. White lies.

What's left?

The ability to bully people into caving to peer pressure and glorifying the idol of popularity.

OC for ME

Smoking out behind the gym?....Ain't gunna be able to do that at home. Skipping class to head to Micky-D's?....Nope, mama ain't gunna put up with that. A wee bit of drinking, to get ready for the big test in 'X'? Mama will sniff that little transgression out right quick and in a hurry. Not to mention the 'boys & girls' aspect, though I did mention 'it' though, didn't I. The occasional bully to deal with. A new teacher in homeroom next year. A different 'school administration' to get used to. Oh, yeah, getting passing grades too while navigating all of the above.

Yep, all those important life skills that kids must learn in public school, and private school too I guess.

Jack House

I just find that hard to believe. I'm not in disbelief that homeschooled people reported this to you. I'm in disbelief that it is true.

2. Playful banter.

3. White lies.

What's left?

I'm betting homeschooled are feeling a little shortchanged; but, in truth are not. Meaning, its perception thing.

As I think of it further, how many more friends can you have in public school that you wouldn't in homeschool. I mean, how many more friends from who you can actually learn one piece of one of those four listed items above?

A public schooled may feel more inclusion, more belonging to something. But, that is not social development, nor a social skill.
There are more subtle things which homeschool kids are likely to miss out on. I can't really think of any examples at the moment, I should be sleeping.

I think that's great, and I completely agree with you! I started in public school, then my mom decided to home school us, and when I was sixteen I attended a local university as an honor student for one semester (paying for my own credits) while working a job, finishing my regular school work and taking a twice weekly Israeli fight class. The next year I worked two jobs and attended a vo-tech school, in addition to finishing up high school. And that's not to mention the dance classes (ballet and swing), volunteering and acting in a local community theatre, making amateur adventure films with my friends, hiking, etc.

The social life as well as the education and the ability to translate that to the real world is invaluable, and something I'm grateful my parents did. I'm going to home school my kids too.
There are definitely many advantages to homeschooling. For me, one of them was being able to learn at my own pace, as opposed to the arbitrary pace imposed by the local school system. I think I mentioned it before, but when I was in public school in Austin, some of the classes I was in, was equal to about the 5th grade level. When I transferred to Frost Elementary in Georgetown, they had no such program. So I was forced back into 2nd grade work for all classes. Which obviously is not a good thing. I can definitely see how homeschooling would be the superior option for people that move a lot. As schools will not have the same curriculum or same timeline. So you might spend half a year studying one subject, only to move schools and find out that the new school teaches that subject in the second half, thereby wasting half a year of school. That happened to me at Frost, besides essentially being sent back a few grades, the other classes were opposites of each other. Caused a lot of problems for me at that school. School is boring enough as it is, force someone to relearn something they have already mastered is so much worse. Add to that I have ADHD and the results aren't pretty. ;)

I don't agree with that. I think homeschooling gave me the ability to increase my social skills with a greater range of ages and maturity levels, rather than only hanging out with people my own age.
Everyone certainly has different experiences. For me, most of my time being homeschooled, meant that I spent most of my time with kids younger than me.

I totally recommend homeschooling. But there are a lot of people that think it's a simple matter of throwing a text book in front of a kid and telling them to learn, that's where problems arise.

Stanley

I have a friend that was home schooled.

She was severely behind on social development. Though this could have been due to her parents or whatever.

On the flip side, her actual education seems to have been top notch. She's probably the smartest, most knowledgeable person I know.

She smoked a tough 4 year nursing program with a 4.0. Not exactly an easy feat.

I would be willing to homeschool just based on her experience.

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

There are more subtle things which homeschool kids are likely to miss out on.

True; the question is, is it to their benefit or disadvantage to miss out on those things?

There are definitely many advantages to homeschooling. For me, one of them was being able to learn at my own pace, as opposed to the arbitrary pace imposed by the local school system. I think I mentioned it before, but when I was in public school in Austin, some of the classes I was in, was equal to about the 5th grade level. When I transferred to Frost Elementary in Georgetown, they had no such program. So I was forced back into 2nd grade work for all classes. Which obviously is not a good thing. I can definitely see how homeschooling would be the superior option for people that move a lot. As schools will not have the same curriculum or same timeline. So you might spend half a year studying one subject, only to move schools and find out that the new school teaches that subject in the second half, thereby wasting half a year of school. That happened to me at Frost, besides essentially being sent back a few grades, the other classes were opposites of each other. Caused a lot of problems for me at that school. School is boring enough as it is, force someone to relearn something they have already mastered is so much worse. Add to that I have ADHD and the results aren't pretty. ;)

I think pace is a big part of it, but it's also learning style. I'm very much a hands on learner; I have great reading comprehension, but I do even better when it's something I can touch and explore. Imagine a kid like me in a class where all we're given is text books. I had a great time learning about Helen Keller because we not only read her story and watched the movie, but then my mom had us pretend to be blind and deaf for an hour, and recorded us re-enacting the story. It was an awesome learning experience!

Everyone certainly has different experiences. For me, most of my time being homeschooled, meant that I spent most of my time with kids younger than me.

That's true.

I totally recommend homeschooling. But there are a lot of people that think it's a simple matter of throwing a text book in front of a kid and telling them to learn, that's where problems arise.

Agreed. And that doesn't cut it. No one is going to know your kids better than you do, but some people just aren't cut out to home school, which is why I'm a big proponent of tutors (if affordable) or co-op schooling with other parents in your area. We tried that one summer with several families, and each mom taught a subject she was particularly good at, and we were grouped according to our ages, just like a public school.

Jack House

I think pace is a big part of it, but it's also learning style. I'm very much a hands on learner; I have great reading comprehension, but I do even better when it's something I can touch and explore. Imagine a kid like me in a class where all we're given is text books. I had a great time learning about Helen Keller because we not only read her story and watched the movie, but then my mom had us pretend to be blind and deaf for an hour, and recorded us re-enacting the story. It was an awesome learning experience!
Definitely hands on for me too. When I went to school for leadership training, I did far better as head of my two departments, as opposed to the actual classes. :lol: