Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some help with a School Project...any help is greatly appreciated.

Final Project posted...

Fellow OC'ers,

I have been assigned a college project where I have to find 10 references either websites, books, articles etc.
    that I can use for my "Open Carry" project paper. I have already used this forum, MCRGO, and a 2 news articles pro 2A. in regards to the right to carry. I am having trouble coming up with more references. I have done all of my papers on Open Carry being one the best ways to carry (in my opinion that is, I do understand sometimes CC is the way to go). And so to make it more difficult I presume, they are making me write a paper on both views of OC. I had a feeling my choice of paper might backfire on me one day but made it through 2 quarters of class before it did at least. I guess this makes me look at the anti's views on OC and write about that.

Any help would be great, I have most of the paper already done, so I am not asking for anyone to do the work for me, even a "hey check this site out" type of thing would be great. Hope to hear some ideas. Carry On!

Glock214
    Last edited by Glock214; 03-09-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock214 View Post
    Fellow OC'ers,

I have been assigned a college project where I have to find 10 references either websites, books, articles etc.
    that I can use for my "Open Carry" project paper. I have already used this forum, MCRGO, and a 2 news articles pro 2A. in regards to the right to carry. I am having trouble coming up with more references. I have done all of my papers on Open Carry being one the best ways to carry (in my opinion that is, I do understand sometimes CC is the way to go). And so to make it more difficult I presume, they are making me write a paper on both views of OC. I had a feeling my choice of paper might backfire on me one day but made it through 2 quarters of class before it did at least. I guess this makes me look at the anti's views on OC and write about that.

Any help would be great, I have most of the paper already done, so I am not asking for anyone to do the work for me, even a "hey check this site out" type of thing would be great. Hope to hear some ideas. Carry On!

Glock214

For anti-stuff check out the Brady's handgun Control site. Also check stuff from the California sites as they had lots of discussion on anti OC views.

Also many Police forums have an anti OC view as well.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Thank You for the information, I appreciate it!
    I'm really starting to not like this paper anymore lol.
    It was easier to write when I was doing the all pro 2a side of the right to carry. This anit 2a stuff is not cool at all.
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    For anti-stuff check out the Brady's handgun Control site. Also check stuff from the California sites as they had lots of discussion on anti OC views.

Can you use persons/interview?

I'd be happy to have an interview with you.

Phillip Hofmeister
    President
    Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
    PHofmeister@miopencarry.org
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

On the pro side have you looked at http://gunfacts.info/

Much great free info.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Banned
    Open carry is REQUIRED by michigan law for carry in certain zones, schools being one of them. Next time someone argues against open carry, remind them that it is often a requirement under state law.

You might do well to watch the videos with Me and Venator about the Waterford schools, lots of good insight to how things are twisted. There are 7 episodes, not including the audio of the event that sparked the assault on our rights, and a hard to hear discussion with attorney Steve Dulan.

My favorite part was the principal explaining how my empty holster scared people. Still makes me chuckle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlkFutwKyJI
    Last edited by stainless1911; 02-16-2012 at 04:11 PM.

Yes Q, we can use authority figures, and persons who are experts or have extensive knowledge on the topic.
    That would be awesome! I will compile some questions for you, and send you an email.
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Can you use persons/interview?

I'd be happy to have an interview with you.

Phillip Hofmeister
    President
    Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
    PHofmeister@miopencarry.org

Thanks Bronson!

I have not actually, but I am going to check it out here in a moment.
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    On the pro side have you looked at http://gunfacts.info/

Much great free info.

Bronson

Stainless1911,

Thank you!
    I will be checking out those videos you mentioned at school tonight to add to my paper. Also thanks for that first line, I never thought about it that way. I love this forum, I learn something new everyday!
    Thanks again Stainless!

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Open carry is REQUIRED by michigan law for carry in certain zones, schools being one of them. Next time someone argues against open carry, remind them that it is often a requirement under state law.

You might do well to watch the videos with Me and Venator about the Waterford schools, lots of good insight to how things are twisted. There are 7 episodes, not including the audio of the event that sparked the assault on our rights, and a hard to hear discussion with attorney Steve Dulan.

My favorite part was the principal explaining how my empty holster scared people. Still makes me chuckle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlkFutwKyJI

Banned
    Any time. If you have questions, I'll do my best to help.

I wish I could take credit for that line, I too, learned it here.

Venator,

Thanks for the ideas, I was stumped for a long while. I even thought about Interviewing a Police Officer after I read your reply. I was thinking....Hmmmm...should I interview him/her while OC'ing? lol. I don't think that would go over very well so I decided against it. lol

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post

On the anti side there is the Gun Victims Action Council http://gunvictimsaction.org/

Steel your mind and gird your loins before entering.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

On the anti side there is the Gun Victims Action Council http://gunvictimsaction.org/

Steel your mind and gird your loins before entering.

Bronson
    I have been reading these zealots (how they refer to us so i was just passing on the kind words) Website alot lately. I am just amazed with their thinking. It actually states that we would be safer if only criminals had firearms (insert smiley face with eyes popping out). If youre ever in need of a good laugh check out the "Fact Sheet" they have posted.
    Last edited by WilDChilD; 02-16-2012 at 05:01 PM.

The challenge to young Glock214 is to take those opposing views and put together a cogent scholarly paper refuting their assertions.

I would recommend he seek the advice/help of Dr. Todd for such a daunting task.

Bronson

For the other side I'd make the CC arguments that you'll be the first shot, attention *****, that kind of stuff.

This might help in your defense of the 2nd amendment and it's meaning:
    http://www.usrepeals.org/ca/unabscnd.htm

This might help part of the anti side:
    http://forusa.org/sites/default/file...-gun-flyer.pdf
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Thank you everyone who has chipped in with some much needed information, I greatly appreciate all the help. I have so much information right now in front of me that I am at a loss for words. I already had a 3 page paper typed up ready for a final draft for my professor. I thought, well why not go to the OC guru's for some final insight. I am trying to get an A+ paper, and turn an anti 2a professor into a pro 2a professor. His words "I want you to change my views on the need for carrying a gun openly."

I am almost there, he read one draft early in my paper, and we’ll see what the final draft will do. I hope to see him OC'ing this summer lol.

Glock214

Carry On!

Banned
    Best way to do that, is to go OC with him. Or have him attend a MOC demo.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Best way to do that, is to go OC with him. Or have him attend a MOC demo.

I will invite him to one that I know I am able to attend as well, and see what happens.
    I have yet to go to one, and I can't wait to go to one. I am hoping to go to the one in march.

The challenge to young Glock214 is to take those opposing views and put together a cogent scholarly paper refuting their assertions.

I would recommend he seek the advice/help of Dr. Todd for such a daunting task.

Bronson

I have contacted DrTodd to see if he would help or offer some advice on my project. It is a tough project, a lot tougher than I thought it would be. All of my other OC papers were pretty easy A's, well, ok not that easy, incase my professors are reading this lol. This one is now having me dig deep, well there goes my weekend lol. Ahh, I just remembered....I have to finish another OC paper regarding the slowness of some counties in Michigan issuing CPL's. (sigh) Back to work I go, any more ideas on either paper please feel free to post them. All the help I can get I will appreciate it.

Carry On!

Glock214

Banned
    This is a good assignment for you, it will help you defend our rights.

turn an anti 2a professor into a pro 2a professor. His words "I want you to change my views on the need for carrying a gun openly."
    One of my favorite professors in college held views on most everything that were the polar opposite of mine. He was one of my favorites because he was always fair and could look past his own personal views and grade my work on the substance and construction. I remember the first time I received a paper back and it was covered in red ink. He was arguing against my points throughout the paper. My heart sunk. When I reached the back page he'd given me an A-. He liked how I defended my positions and the way the paper was written even though he didn't personally agree with anything I'd written. I still have much respect for him.

Bronson

One of my favorite professors in college held views on most everything that were the polar opposite of mine. He was one of my favorites because he was always fair and could look past his own personal views and grade my work on the substance and construction. I remember the first time I received a paper back and it was covered in red ink. He was arguing against my points throughout the paper. My heart sunk. When I reached the back page he'd given me an A-. He liked how I defended my positions and the way the paper was written even though he didn't personally agree with anything I'd written. I still have much respect for him.

Bronson
    Not all profs can do that. Sounds like a good guy.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    For the other side I'd make the CC arguments that you'll be the first shot, attention *****, that kind of stuff.

Don't forget small pee-pee... scardy cat.... billy bad a## wanna bt....

OP you should dig up that article of the waffle house robbery that was prevented by 2 OCers because they sent in a scout to case the joint, and ended up getting caught by police while waiting for OCers to leave in order to commence with the robbery.
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

The anti side would be fun actually, just find the most insane ridiculous comments of the anti's and show them for what they are, nut jobs, and trust me there is a long history of the Anti's making really profoundly stupid comments to the point it chills other anti's.

Thank You for the information, I appreciate it!
    I'm really starting to not like this paper anymore lol.
    It was easier to write when I was doing the all pro 2a side of the right to carry. This anit 2a stuff is not cool at all.
    Thanks again!

Banned
    If someone asks what you are compensating for, just reply without hesitation, "You."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast