• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need some help with a School Project...any help is greatly appreciated.

Glock214

@Glock214

SNIP:

Mr. Phillip Hofmeister:
“I'll give you the "party line". While someone who is concealed carrying may be able to confront and deescalate a violent situation after it has started, we can point to cases where the presence of open carriers has cause a violent situation to never exist. Persons who were caught and admitted to contemplating a robbery of a diner stated they withdrew their plans because of the presence of visibly armed citizens.

That was the only typo [add a d to the word cause] I could find. Good paper well written in my humble opinion. +1

To attach a file it just needs to be in one of the supported formats & meet the tiny size limitations of this forum. PDF may be your best bet. Try foxit pdf creator. It has a 30 day free trial.
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/PDF_Converter/

Glock,

Thank you and I did point that out to my professor also. I was advised to leave it as is, as I was quoting Mr. Hofmeister in my paper. My professor stated I would not be marked down because it was a quote.
Thank you for pointing that out to me though. I read, and re-read my paper to check for typos also. Again, thanks for the kind words, I greatly appreciate it.

Carry On!
Glock214

Glock214

Shoot, don't feel bad, it was constructive criticism, nothing more. I can't believe you were able to remember all those things. Your work here, is simply remarkable.

Thank you again, I really appreciate it.
It was a lot to remember, and a lot of trial and error as to what I wanted to include, and what to omit. Making sure I was able to convey the point across, as well as keep the readers interest throughout. I did a lot of research and reviewed many sources given to me by you all here on the forum. I had to present a PowerPoint to my class as well, and do a Q/A, which I thought I was going to be horrible at because I am not very good at public speaking. However I actually enjoyed it, I had to answer a LOT of questions regarding OC, CC, and gun laws in general. I was put on the spot a few times because I went up to simply present my PowerPoint and answer questions regarding my PowerPoint. But the class and my professor had other ideas. My 5-7 minute presentation turned into a 30 minute presentation, with come to find out, a few CPL holders in my class that had no idea how to legally carry even after obtaining their CPL. Kind of scary to think about how many CPL holders out there may be carrying, and not really know the gun laws that well. All in all, I really enjoyed it, and I am glad I was able to inform a few of my peers in class.

Carry On!
Glock214

stainless1911

Banned
It would be nice if you could talk to ALL the students, then take it on a statewide tour.

If we are ever going to get our gun rights back, it MUST be done in the educational system.

Thats where the battle is being fought against us, we should at least show up for the fight.

Last edited:

Glock214

It would be nice if you could talk to ALL the students, then take it on a statewide tour.

If we are ever going to get our gun rights back, it MUST be done in the educational system.

Thats where the battle is being fought against us, we should at least show up for the fight.

I agree, and I did my best to reach as many as I was able to. I do like that the school was open to letting me write on something that other schools may not have allowed.

Glock214

Glock214

What was your grade on this assignment?

I am still waiting on my professor to respond to my email asking him what my grade was on the final project, it also had a PowerPoint presentation with it. I will post it as soon as I get it. The grades get released in a few days, but I was trying to get it earlier if possible.

Glock214

PDinDetroit

I am still waiting on my professor to respond to my email asking him what my grade was on the final project, it also had a PowerPoint presentation with it. I will post it as soon as I get it. The grades get released in a few days, but I was trying to get it earlier if possible.

Glock214

You had good people helping you with it and you had the audience "captivated" so to speak, so I can imagine the grade should be good. What I would take away from it is knowing that you helped others understand their RIGHTS better, which always deserves an A in my book.

Glock214

You had good people helping you with it and you had the audience "captivated" so to speak, so I can imagine the grade should be good. What I would take away from it is knowing that you helped others understand their RIGHTS better, which always deserves an A in my book.

PD, and stainless,

I thank you for the kind words.
I am proud that I was able to educate my peers with my Paper/Presentation regarding Michigan Gun Laws. And hope that I may have helped to keep them out of legal issues in the future.

Glock214

stainless1911

Banned
This is why I was hoping that you would become a resident poster here, you will be a great help to a lot of people. There are a number of people who never sign up and post, but still read the forums. People say "go check out OCDO for further info", and I know that at least some of them do.

Glock214

This is why I was hoping that you would become a resident poster here, you will be a great help to a lot of people. There are a number of people who never sign up and post, but still read the forums. People say "go check out OCDO for further info", and I know that at least some of them do.

I am definitely going to continue to post, and try to help others as all of you have helped me.
I do encourage people to visit OCDO also, however I also encourage them to sign up and be part of the community.
I myself was a reader of the forum before I decided to get involved and sign up. I think I myself read for a few months before I made my first post, and must say I got greeted almost immediately with welcomes. Which made me feel that this community was a great place and I had made the right choice in signing up. And if memory serves me right, I believe you were among the first to welcome me to OCDO.

Glock214

stainless1911

Banned
I like helping the new-bs. Makes me feel good because people helped me when I was new, confused discouraged, and overwhelmed. I wound up getting f-ed over by the courts when I was very green, and people on here taught me (at their own frustration sometimes) what I needed to know.

Last edited:

Glock214

I like helping the new-bs. Makes me feel good because people helped me when I was new, confused discouraged, and overwhelmed. I wound up getting f-ed over by the courts when I was very green, and people on here taught me (at their own frustration sometimes) what I needed to know.

I know what you mean with feeling confused, and discouraged and overwhelmed at times. I believe you mentioned to me once that when you were new on the forum you had people beat the laws into your head like a hammer lol. I feel the same way sometimes, I read and re-read the laws and it does sometimes feel as though they are being pounded into my brain. However, if that keeps me out of legal issues, it's well worth it. I remember asking question, after question after question, and not once did anyone on the forum tell me to stop, or that I was dumb or anything. They always pointed me in the right direction, or answered the questions, and then welcomed more questions. Greatest forum I've ever been a part of, and I recommend this forum to anyone I encounter who seems interested in carrying a sidearm.
I revisit old posts daily to brush up on mcl's I think I don't quite have a grip on, and then begin to read, and it clicks for me, and I then feel better about carrying again. This is my daily read, I almost feel as though I practically live on the forum lol.

Glock214

Glock214

School project was an A, professor emailed me this morning. He said It was a great paper, and enjoyed reading it. Just wanted to share my grade with those who helped with it. Thanks again everyone!

Carry On!

Glock214

Glock214

Excellent news, thanks for the update.

No problem and thank you for clarifying my confusion on being able to open carry in a bar when concealed carry is prohibited. I used your explanation in my paper, and put down your screen name as a reference hope you don't mind. I wanted to give credit where credit was due. I knew that I could carry openly in a bar, however was trying to get a grasp on what protected me while doing so. And you really helped out with that. Thanks again