• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry in ohio

dan from ohio

I have carried concealed for 7 years and want to start carrying open and I need to know about 12031 e.Do i have to carry my firearm without a chambered round[unloaded] or am I allowed to carry with a round chambered? thanks,Dan

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I have carried concealed for 7 years and want to start carrying open and I need to know about 12031 e.Do i have to carry my firearm without a chambered round[unloaded] or am I allowed to carry with a round chambered? thanks,Dan

Your question is best addressed by your state forum members. I would post the question there: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?119-Ohio

I am unsure of Ohio firearm laws however a 12031(e) check is a law in California which empowers law enforcement officers to verify your firearm is unloaded. I am unaware of any other state that has such law. I won't say ALL states because I don't know for sure, but most states allow you to open carry fully loaded.

IANAL (I am not a lawyer)

GhostOfJefferson

You can legally carry a round in the pipe, yes. California is the only place where you couldn't if you carried openly, and now you can't even carry openly there. I open carry in central Ohio without issue or people going haywire.

12031 only specifies that an officer is allowed to inspect the firearm to determine if it's loaded or not, there is no requirement that it be unloaded/unchambered, and it doesn't pertain to Ohio at all, to be frank (it's a Kali thing).

Ohio open carry is a constitutionally guaranteed right that the Attorney General has taken actual steps to inform the public exists without prior restraint, requires no license, and cannot be used as a "justifiable cause" for police to harassment in and of itself.

My only suggestion is to ensure that you present a good image and you'll find few if anybody will even care, and those that do will generally be positive (except in Canton or Cleveland, but they're being beaten into compliance with every misstep they try to take).

Last edited: