• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to respond to questions by LEOs

sawah

There is a methodology also.

Know your laws for your area
Be polite
Deflect questions calmly with questions ("Am I required to answer that, officer?", "May I wait until I see an EMT/go to the hospital?" (in the case of a shooting)
Have a lawyer on speed dial (IOW be efficient, be confident and practiced)
Do not touch your firearm even if told to hand it to the officer. Say 'I respectfully decline to touch my firearm'
Don't just say 'nothing', but inform the officer "I'm going to wait, my lawyer told me not to talk. Am I required to answer that? Why am I being detained".
If he says 'do you know why I stopped you', do NOT say a reason. Say 'why did you stop me, officer?'

But as to any facts of the case, nothing you say will ever help your case, so don't start painting yourself into a corner. Even innocent comments other than "I was in fear for my life, I need to see a doctor" could be held against you.

Especially don't say 'I shot him. Say 'send an ambulance, someone is injured'. If you can, during the incident have 911 on the phone and put the phone where it will register you say 'stop, go away, I don't want any trouble', and things of that nature.

You might even go so far as to compile your thoughts onto a card that you could read and which has your attorney's name and phone. Have your atty review what you might say if you want to be rigorous about it.

IMO, just as we should practice and rehearse scenarios, we would be remiss to omit rehearsing and practicing the aftermath when you will need help staying cool.

PistolPackingMomma

That's excellent! I love how the Sargent finally relents when she realizes he's not going to incriminate himself or cooperate in any way not required by law.

:monkey:

sawah

I believe LEOs even practice doing traffic stops and learn how to make leading questions and how to gauge your intent, both in the classroom and on the street. They also learn when to give it up, gracefully as possible while still retaining plausible behavior (i.e. not looking foolish, or being caught in a lie). To use the leading question they have to "imply" that you must tell them, they will "imply" that they're doing it the nice way, they will "imply that if you don't give it up you'll get the 'hard way'", then "imply" after discussing things on the radio, that they're letting you off easy because you look like a nice person.

The trick is to do the dance while staying civil, not giving up your rights, being vague, but not setting yourself up or sounding smart or evasive. That's why it's good to deflect a question with a polite question.

For example:
"Do I have to answer that, officer"
'It would go better for you if it did'
"Do you mind if I ask my lawyer first, I have his number on my phone. May I call him?"

Here you're leading away from his request while making reasonable requests. If the officer starts getting upset, it's best to keep saying 'My lawyer told me not to say anymore until they get here'.

By all means, if legal have your recorder running know if you're in a one-party state.

Fallschirjmäger

Yeah, she went from "We just need to know if you've had anything to drink tonight. You just have to answer that question and you'll be on your way" to "You have a nice night, sir" in twenty-one seconds flat.

Last edited:

Ken56

Way to go. Know the law, know your rights. Don't be victimized by those who are protecting and serving while violating your rights.

Mo

Banned
Read the comments. Look at the vast difference between the supporters and the haters. The supporters can actually articulate an intelligent argument. The haters say the typical weak minded "you're a moron" or the spoon fed soundbite they've been told "trying to keep streets safe".

I'm so glad my head isn't in the sand like so many people.

Good thread, mspgunner.

mspgunner

Read the comments. Look at the vast difference between the supporters and the haters. The supporters can actually articulate an intelligent argument. The haters say the typical weak minded "you're a moron" or the spoon fed soundbite they've been told "trying to keep streets safe".

I'm so glad my head isn't in the sand like so many people.

Good thread, mspgunner.

WHAT it really comes down too is know what to say, know what not to say. People put their feet in their mouths.
Sure you "can" answer, but "NO" you do not have too.

If you do speak, choose your words very carefully!

peterarthur

WHAT it really comes down too is know what to say, know what not to say. People put their feet in their mouths.
Sure you "can" answer, but "NO" you do not have too.

If you do speak, choose your words very carefully!

I never answer questions, I only ASK them. If you only ASK questions, you CANNOT lie and you cannot make a "statement". Questions are safe and expedite the meeting to it's conclusion. Shows them you know your rights and you are not going to play footsies with them.