Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: OU student suspended

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Burton, MI
    Posts
    78

    OU student suspended

    http://www.theoaklandpress.com/artic...mode=fullstory
    i dont know if any of you get the oakland press but the story in the paper(for some reason very very different from the online version)
    the paper version in todays issue of the oakland press says that his side of the story is that he got suspended for writing the essay
    in the paper article it also has a statement from the Teacher i will now quote said article

    "...but according to an email sent by Mitzenlfeld and released to the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education a free speech advocacy group, after a Freedom of Information Act request was sent to the university, there may be another reason Corlett was suspended.
    According to the email Mitzenfled wrote ,"Due to our recent discovery that Joseph Corlett has made his gun obsession obvious to other colleagues and has managed to make himself known in negative ways to so many other females on campus, I am feeling increasingly uncomfortable and unsafe. As he has written letters to our school newspaper defending the right to carry concealed weapons on campus, I cannot feel safe knowing that he might have a weapon on him at anytime."
    Oakland University officials are not releasing comments on the situation." - End quote

    not sure if this is right to post here but i thought it was interesting as well as that the paper and online articles are quite different and the online one does not mention guns as far as i saw and only focuses on this as if it were a sexual harassment
    Comments?

    PS i was not able to watch the video online so i do not know what was said in that
    Last edited by RenkaiWulf; 02-16-2012 at 07:40 PM.

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Troy, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,292
    he shouldn't have been open carrying on campus. it's against the law.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,952
    The guy comes off as a creep.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Burton, MI
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    he shouldn't have been open carrying on campus. it's against the law.
    when did i say he was open carrying on campus i was stating that the teacher said in an email part the reason for him being suspended was "he has written letters to our school newspaper defending the right to carry concealed weapons on campus," so your not allowed to even say you think ppl should be allowed to carry on campus
    free speech my ass.
    Last edited by RenkaiWulf; 02-16-2012 at 08:00 PM. Reason: spelling

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,952
    correct.

    My kids principal told me that people were afraid of my empty holster.

    # of parents seeing me wear one?

    0

  6. #6
    Regular Member griffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Okemos, MI
    Posts
    852
    I know this guy! And his wife, too.

    He screwed me over on a quartz counter job with poor performance. I trusted him because he was recommended and I have a working relationship with his wife.
    Last edited by griffin; 02-16-2012 at 10:08 PM.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

  7. #7
    Regular Member DanM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West Bloomfield, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,920
    Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I have a working relationship with his wife.
    What's his wife like? Just curious what kind of woman stays with such a creepy kind of guy. Especially when the creep factor is that he seems to sexually obsess about every female within 100 yards of him, constantly.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

    “He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

  8. #8
    Regular Member griffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Okemos, MI
    Posts
    852
    She is the head of safety for one of the large international contractors I hire. What's she like? Well, from the article apparently she doesn't give him sex.

    Curious why this story is posted on OCDO since it has nothing to do with OCing.
    Last edited by griffin; 02-17-2012 at 12:58 AM.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Burton, MI
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    She is the head of safety for one of the large international contractors I hire. What's she like? Well, from the article apparently she doesn't give him sex.

    Curious why this story is posted on OCDO since it has nothing to do with OCing.
    Sorry if im off topic posting this here i dont know this guy nor do i care to

    my reason for posting on a Pro 2A site such as this is because of the fact that part of the reason for him being suspended was because he wrote to the school newspaper about his OPINION on the right to carry a concealed weapon on campus

    maybe this should be moved to http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/fo...oncealed-Carry (BTW same forum, dealing with concealed carry on campus)
    so if a mod would like to move or delete it feel free
    Sorry if i offended anyone here
    Last edited by RenkaiWulf; 02-17-2012 at 09:57 AM.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,952
    I appreciated the info

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Burton, MI
    Posts
    78
    thanks stainless i just figure we are all pro 1A & 2A so this should be a concern to all of us

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Troy, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,292
    Quote Originally Posted by RenkaiWulf View Post
    when did i say he was open carrying on campus i was stating that the teacher said in an email part the reason for him being suspended was "he has written letters to our school newspaper defending the right to carry concealed weapons on campus," so your not allowed to even say you think ppl should be allowed to carry on campus
    free speech my ass.
    you didn't. i guess this thread is in the wrong forum then...
    but i guess if part of his reason for suspension was weapons related, then it's ok.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

  13. #13
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,363
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...ch-20120216-ms
    Seems he may be getting the shaft. Watch this video and decide.



    See a picture here, she is cute.
    http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/3000...university.htm

    Though spelled different in a another source this may be the instructer.

    Pamela Mitzelfeld

    Title: Special Lecturer; Associate Director, Writing Center
    Office: 212 Kresge Library
    Phone: (24 370-3120
    E-mail: ptmitzel@oakland.edu
    Degrees
    M.A. Oakland University

    Major Fields
    Business Writing; Advanced Composition
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  14. #14
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,363
    Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    you didn't. i guess this thread is in the wrong forum then...
    but i guess if part of his reason for suspension was weapons related, then it's ok.

    This site does allow discussion of all rights including the 1st Amd.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  15. #15
    Regular Member griffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Okemos, MI
    Posts
    852
    Quote Originally Posted by RenkaiWulf View Post
    my reason for posting on a Pro 2A site such as this is because of the fact that part of the reason for him being suspended was because he wrote to the school newspaper about his OPINION on the right to carry a concealed weapon on campus
    But the story you posted did not say anything about a gun, firearms, or firearm carry. That's why I asked.

    This story has been popping up all over now. I had a guy in Indiana post this to a music forum I am a member of. I asked him the same thing. Apparently there are OTHER stories that do mention firearms. The one you posted is not one of them. That's what confused me.

    I have been in contact with others in the construction industry that know him or his wife. They are all talking about it. Latest rumor is he might be going on Dr. Phil. Srsly.

    Edited to add: I just noticed you added additional info after the story about him supporting CC on campus. I just read and reread the news story and couldn't figure out where a gun came into this. Also, one other story I read mentioned that he apparently talked about or wrote about sleeping naked next to his gun. There are a number of stories, and some have different or new additional info.
    Last edited by griffin; 02-17-2012 at 02:32 PM.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

  16. #16
    Regular Member griffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Okemos, MI
    Posts
    852
    Venator, thanks for posting that video. As the story comes out it does appear he may be getting the shaft. I know him as a dishonest person, though, so this doesn't change my opinion of him.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

  17. #17
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,169
    Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Venator, thanks for posting that video. As the story comes out it does appear he may be getting the shaft. I know him as a dishonest person, though, so this doesn't change my opinion of him.
    And just because one (maybe justified) views another as dishonest does not mean that the system here is not abusing him and his rights. Don't read this as a dis toward any here, thanks.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  18. #18
    Regular Member griffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Okemos, MI
    Posts
    852
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    And just because one (maybe justified) views another as dishonest does not mean that the system here is not abusing him and his rights.
    I agree.

    This guy is totally untrustworthy. I know others who also know him who feel the same way. However, that does not mean he isn't being treated unfairly in this case.

    Too bad a tool happens to be the poster child for 1A and 2A right now. I have a problem with untrustworthy people being in this position.
    Last edited by griffin; 02-18-2012 at 02:34 AM.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

  19. #19
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,169
    Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I agree.

    This guy is totally untrustworthy. I know others who also know him who feel the same way. However, that does not mean he isn't being treated unfairly in this case.

    Too bad a tool happens to be the poster child for 1A and 2A right now. I have a problem with untrustworthy people being in this position.
    Unfortunately, WE don't get to pick the ones who get to become "poster child"! LOL
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,952
    Why are they punishing the student for a paper that belongs to Oakland University? Their paper, their problem.

  21. #21
    Regular Member griffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Okemos, MI
    Posts
    852
    You've been talking to Glock214.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

  22. #22
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,321
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Why are they punishing the student for a paper that belongs to Oakland University? Their paper, their problem.
    Now this is interesting...
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,952
    lol, is it not?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •