• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting my first gun.. question?

fakman88

well im newly married, just moved to charlotte NC. i am often in very rough areas, and live in a very rough neighborhood. i plan to get a gun in the next couple of weeks for protection of my wife and i, and im going to apply for a conceal carry permit, but that takes at least 90 days. until i get that, i plan to open carry. i ride my motorcycle pretty much everywhere i go. i was wondering, i have a metal lockable tool box on my bike that i plan to use with my conceal carry to lock up my gun when im going into a bar or other place where i can't carry, can i lock the gun up there when i go inside somewhere like that when im just carrying open? i wont be riding the bike with it concealed in there, just locking it up so that no one takes it and i dont have to bring it home when i go somewhere that wont allow guns. thanks.

SquareJeeper88

well im newly married, just moved to charlotte NC. i am often in very rough areas, and live in a very rough neighborhood. i plan to get a gun in the next couple of weeks for protection of my wife and i, and im going to apply for a conceal carry permit, but that takes at least 90 days. until i get that, i plan to open carry. i ride my motorcycle pretty much everywhere i go. i was wondering, i have a metal lockable tool box on my bike that i plan to use with my conceal carry to lock up my gun when im going into a bar or other place where i can't carry, can i lock the gun up there when i go inside somewhere like that when im just carrying open? i wont be riding the bike with it concealed in there, just locking it up so that no one takes it and i dont have to bring it home when i go somewhere that wont allow guns. thanks.

First off, welcome to the gun totin' world. Its going to pretty confusing at times which leads me to your question. I AM NOT A LAWYER therefore anything I say is only as I understand it but hey its better than the other posts so far. The one thing to remember about concealing a handgun is that the laws are in place for those concealing the handgun on their person or in their immediate area (i.e. glove box/center console while driving/in there waste band while carrying, etc.) if you are not on your bike or within reach of your bike and it is in a locked compartment you should be good. Another little side note after reading the laws from my understanding lets say you are in your car and you put your gun in your glove box if it is LOCKED and the key IS NOT in the lock you can store it in there because its not readily accessible its when its within reach, unsecured, and concealed is when you start running into problems. But as I don't have a bike I have never looked into the gun laws surrounding motorcycles so do your homework. And if Im wrong I am sure some of the very knowledgable members of this site will promptly correct me and send you down the right path. Until then good luck and safe travels.