• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New, where to start?

cap-n-ball

Well as my handle implies my handguns (at the present time) are cap and ball blackpowder pistols. One 1861 Navy Colt .36 caliber, an 1862 Spiller&Burr .36 caliber and an 1858 Remington Army .44. I have been open carrying off and on for awhile now but primarily around home and certain small stores in the Salisbury area. Around here seems people kinda freak if they see a gun, especially a hogleg with an eight inch barrel hanging on your left hip in a crossdraw holster. Growing up on a farm, hunting and guns were a way of life and being a former member of the Army National Guard (16 years in Ohio and about 2 years in North Carolina) I'm very familiar with firearms. I have been reviewing the site for a few weeks now since a member of another forum told me about this site. Even though in some ways blackpowder guns don't fall under the classification of firearms according to Federal Government regulations alot of state laws still apply to the carrying of such from what I've been able to learn about them over the past couple of years. Now I'm getting ready to make a trip to Illinois within the next few days and I'll have at least one of the pistols with me when I go and I already know I'm really going to have to hide it well when I get to Ill.. What problems could I face inTennesee as I never travel with it concealed? It's always in plain sight and within easy reach. So far in the one time I was stopped by the NCSP I had the Navy Colt in the holster laying against the transmission tunnel of my car in front of the seat. All the patrolman asked me was if it was loaded, as I replied it was. No problems there. If any of y'all ever get around the Salisbury Airport area (I am at the Wilco station@ Airport Road and Highway 29 on a regular basis) and see a guy with a black cowboy hat with a hogleg hanging on his left hip in that area, it's me.

ArmySoldier22

For concealed carrying through TN, you'll be good. They honor NC's permit. In order to open carry in TN however, you have to have a permit as well. This is where it gets a little foggy for me, because I'm not sure if NC's CHP covers open carry as well in TN. But if you keep it covered, you'll be good.

Illinois.. good luck lol. I'm originally from there, and I absolutely hate going back to that place. It's a nightmare for carriers since there is no form of carry, and as I'm sure you know, people up there have a different mentality then down here. It's hard to find somebody who's Not an ass up there, and that especially goes for LEOs. Not sure why that is, but that was one of the first things I noticed when I moved away. People are so much nicer down here lol. So if you do hypothetically carry, be careful, because those idiots would try to hit you with everything possible. Good luck though! If and when I go back to visit family, I may have to make the same decision about keeping myself protected.

Last edited:

cap-n-ball

Army, right now I don't have my CC, misplaced my military records so going to have to send for copies before I can get it. I've completed the course with no problems. Last time I went to Ill. I made sure I didn't break any highway laws as to not get pulled and stuffed my .44 in the trunk under some stuff after I got to Ill. Only reason I'm going there is to see my Dad, he moved there about 5 years ago. I don't like the idea of travelling these days without something in the car. After I get my permit I'm planning on getting a Cimarron Titan Derringer chambered for .410 shells for pocket carry and a Uberti Cattleman in either .45 or .357 for carry in a shoulder holster.

ArmySoldier22

Army, right now I don't have my CC

I was in your same situation as far as carrying goes then about 7 months back. Didn't have a CHP, so I had to lock it up going through Tennessee. If I remember right for Illinois, as long as the weapon is cased and not easily accessible, like in your trunk, then you're good to go. I also believe that the ammo has to be stored in a separate non easily accessible area, like the glovebox "yeah, I know, it's like an arms reach away, but it somehow counts lol". I could be wrong, but that's what I was always taught growing up there when it came to transporting firearms. But as far as I know where Tennessee is concerned, open carry is only allowed with the concealed permit.

I can't say whether I may or may not have decided to carry, or whether or not I may or may not have felt like ******** myself every time a cop even looked at me. I don't think Illinois' legal system would have any problem trying to convict somebody of using a concealed weapon, even in self defense.. Thanks a lot Chicago. That state makes me glad I live in NC, even with the restrictions we do have.

Last edited: