• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help Selecting a Holster!

FMJ 911

Ok, here's the skinny. I know what's what, so don't pick on me!

I have a Daewoo DP-51 9mm Pistol, and I'd like to get a nice holster for it for OC. I heard the Daewoo is similar to a S&W 5906, is that true?

I've been thinking about those Serpa Holsters, I want something secure, and compact. If I want to go full-out on a Super Duper Fancy Holster, I'll save that for my Kimber .45, or S&W Model 22.

Gil223

Ok, here's the skinny. I know what's what, so don't pick on me!

I have a Daewoo DP-51 9mm Pistol, and I'd like to get a nice holster for it for OC. I heard the Daewoo is similar to a S&W 5906, is that true?

Please don't consider this "picking on" you, but in my experience, just the name "Daewoo" will create its own problems in finding a holster. Korean handguns are not exactly commonplace in gun shops, nor in the safes of handgunners. It does look quite similar to a S&W 5906, but I think your best bet for determining fit and function for your DP-51, will be to take it to a very patient dealer - one with a large selection of holsters - and just 'try-fit' the pistol until you find the one that feels right. :idea: Pax...

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
There are also a bunch of custom holster makers out there who could make one for you. Usually it can be done same day, or within a couple of days. Check out a gun show near you, and you should find a couple of holster makers. I doubt you will find a ready-made holster specifically for your model of gun. Do NOT use a holster that was not specifically designed for your gun.

Last edited:

FMJ 911

Please don't consider this "picking on" you, but in my experience, just the name "Daewoo" will create its own problems in finding a holster. Korean handguns are not exactly commonplace in gun shops, nor in the safes of handgunners. It does look quite similar to a S&W 5906, but I think your best bet for determining fit and function for your DP-51, will be to take it to a very patient dealer - one with a large selection of holsters - and just 'try-fit' the pistol until you find the one that feels right. :idea: Pax...

You have a good point. The two are slightly different. I know the Grip on the Daewoo is about 3/8" shorter than the S&W 5906, and the front end of the gun is scaled down ever so slightly. I certainly will preform Fit tests to see what works best. The Daewoo is a good gun, It may be Korean, but they knew what they were doing when they made them, and I got a good one! Can't argue with 13 Rounds of 9mm either.

Thanks for the input.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I wish I still had that Daewoo pistol my brother had a long time ago. That was a very slick design. Good shooter, too!

kemo

Have one made they are worth every dime. I had mine made and it was built for the way I wanted to carry it. Good luck on your search.

AAriondo

I have a few holsters for my G27 and G22 In the waistband and on the side. Serpa is a very good secure holster that I enjoy wearing.

Brevard13

You have a good point. The two are slightly different. I know the Grip on the Daewoo is about 3/8" shorter than the S&W 5906, and the front end of the gun is scaled down ever so slightly. I certainly will preform Fit tests to see what works best. The Daewoo is a good gun, It may be Korean, but they knew what they were doing when they made them, and I got a good one! Can't argue with 13 Rounds of 9mm either.

Thanks for the input.

:lol:

Sorry I just find it funny because I carry 15+1 in my .40. Trying to decide if I want to change the factory mag plate for the 5 to make it 20+1

Dr Phil

If you can get a Serpa that will fit, I'd recommend it. I use one for my 1911 mainly for open carry. Although they call it a concealment holster, I find I need to be wearing at LEAST a sweatshirt/hoodie, but more likely a coat to conceal with it. For open carry, it's great. absolute retention until you're ready, then it slides out like butter when you press the button.

If you're looking for something more for concealment or want it specifically for your gun, I'd go with what everyone else is suggesting and find a place that will make you a custom holster. I can't remember the name of the company, but my buddy had a kydex holster made for his Glock at a gun show a couple years ago. He carries a G17 with a Streamlight mounted on it, and they made him one that fit with the light. He loves it.

FMJ 911

:lol:

Sorry I just find it funny because I carry 15+1 in my .40. Trying to decide if I want to change the factory mag plate for the 5 to make it 20+1

Well, I understand your point, but I find 13 rounds of 9mm perfectly fine for most (if not all) defensive situations. Remember, the more rounds you are carrying in the gun, the heavier that gun will get, and I prefer handguns that are a bit on the lighter side.

Also remember, mag changes are very fast, so I could still carry 1 or 2 extra loaded 13-round magazines, and pretty much match (or at least come close) the firepower of "Super Capacity" Handguns.

My Daewoo is a "Compact" handgun, and that's how I like my Defensive Tools to be! :cool:

When it comes down to it, I'm not fighting a war with this Pistol, I'm using it to defend myself, and if I had to, Fight my way back to my vehicle where I have a rifle or shotgun stored. (Yes, I know, Long Guns are very Un-PC when it comes to open carry/personal defense, but if SHTF, I don't think it will matter very much now will it?)

FMJ 911

Ok! I went gun shopping, and decided to get a 1974 Mfg Polish P64 in 99.9% Condition. They appear to only have been fired several times (Dozen rounds or less!) and they come with a Leather "Duty" Holster. Now my question is: Do they make new Holsters for this gun? It looks similar to a Walther PPK, but the internals are different.

It would also make a good CC Gun, so I'd get a Concealed Rig for it as well.

michaelm_ski

Holster choices

Go to E-Bay and look at all the holsters they have there , you should have no problem finding something there :D . I would recommend a level 2 holster though .

MainelyGlock

Go to E-Bay and look at all the holsters they have there , you should have no problem finding something there :D . I would recommend a level 2 holster though .

+1. There's a lot of people who make holsters who run stores on eBay, and you can also find name-brand ones for much cheaper than in stores too. For instance, Cabelas sells the same Serpa holster I bought off eBay for $30 for $50 plus tax.