Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Novi Gun Shows

  1. #1
    Regular Member GlockIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Warren, Michigan
    Posts
    45

    Novi Gun Shows

    Is open carry allowed in the gun show?
    Id rather look at my ugly Glock than shoot your fancy S&W.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockIt View Post
    Is open carry allowed in the gun show?
    Sorry, no you are not. At the front door you will be asked to unload and zip tie your action at the door. The vendor sets the rules.

    Voice your opinion if you wish.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by AAMitch View Post
    Sorry, no you are not. At the front door you will be asked to unload and zip tie your action at the door. The vendor sets the rules.

    Voice your opinion if you wish.
    If open carry is not allowed then how do all the people carry rifles on slings without cases?

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by maustin195 View Post
    If open carry is not allowed then how do all the people carry rifles on slings without cases?
    They too are zip tied open. Carry all you want but will be told to open your chamber drop the mag and get zip tied.

  5. #5
    Regular Member detroit_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    I've never understood why gun owners put up with this crap. We make it a point to not patronize businesses that infringe on our right to carry, but then go to a gun show and allow them to disarm us? So Starbucks is more 2A friendly than a GUN show? Am I the only onw that sees a major problem with that? If all the gun owners took a stand and refused to go to gun shows with this policy I bet it would change real fast, but as long as people are willing to keep allowing them to do it I see no way it will get better. just my .02(not that anyone asked )
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by AAMitch View Post
    They too are zip tied open. Carry all you want but will be told to open your chamber drop the mag and get zip tied.
    That is still open carry even though it is unloaded. Concealed carry also even though unloaded. The question by the OP was can you open carry . The answer is yes can with a CPL and no ammo. A CPL is needed because of their Liquor License.
    Last edited by maustin195; 02-18-2012 at 11:21 AM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northwest Kent County, Michigan
    Posts
    757
    All gun shows (that I've ever been too) have that rule (no loaded firearms). It is not an anti-gun rule, it is a safety rule. A gun show is basically one big show & tell event. That means people talking guns, fondling, pointing, putting fingers on triggers, etc.

    Just carry concealed if you want to have a loaded gun (and keep it concealed).
    Last edited by OC4me; 02-17-2012 at 05:18 PM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member detroit_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by OC4me View Post
    All gun shows (that I've ever been too) have that rule (no loaded firearms). It is not an anti-gun rule, it is a safety rule. A gun show is basically one big show & tell event. That means people talking guns, fondling, pointing, putting fingers on triggers, etc.

    Just carry concealed if you want to have a loaded gun (and keep it concealed).
    If a store asked you to do that upon entering and said it was a "safety rule" would you feel the same way?
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

  9. #9
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    If they refuse lawful carry, vote with your feet. The only way we'll see change is we actually grow a backbone and walk the talk.

    Vote with your feet and your wallet. Do not patronize hypocrites! No guns, no money!
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Taylor, Wayne County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,047

    Thumbs up There are promoters that do allow OC at their events - please support them if you can

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...highlight=show

    The promoter mentioned in this link went out of his way to visit a OC event on 8-8-2010 & invite us to attend his shows (most are held in Clarkston, MI a few miles north of Great Lakes Crossing Mall. He also does some shows at the Taylor Trade Center in Taylor, MI. Along with some shows in Redford, MI.

    http://www.ww2collector.com/gunshow.htm

    *Note* before attending any Taylor shows please contact the promoter as my experience is the folks that run that place are shall we say prone to suffering from rectal cranial inversion from time to time.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

    “Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

  11. #11
    Regular Member dougwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,445
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    I've never understood why gun owners put up with this crap. We make it a point to not patronize businesses that infringe on our right to carry, but then go to a gun show and allow them to disarm us? So Starbucks is more 2A friendly than a GUN show? Am I the only onw that sees a major problem with that? If all the gun owners took a stand and refused to go to gun shows with this policy I bet it would change real fast, but as long as people are willing to keep allowing them to do it I see no way it will get better. just my .02(not that anyone asked )
    The reason they make you unload is because they DON'T KNOW YOU!

    Gun shows attract a HUGE amount of morons. They like to take their loaded guns out of the holster to show people and try holsters.

    IF stupid hurt or IF we could fix stupid in the future I'm sure they would change their policy about loaded guns but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

  12. #12
    Regular Member dougwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,445
    Walking through the door....

    "Sir, do you have any firearms?"

    "No, guns are scary!"

    continue walking....

    Then...DON'T BE A FRICKIN MORON AND PULL YOUR LOADED FIREARM OUT DURING THE SHOW!

  13. #13
    Regular Member detroit_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by dougwg View Post
    The reason they make you unload is because they DON'T KNOW YOU!

    Gun shows attract a HUGE amount of morons. They like to take their loaded guns out of the holster to show people and try holsters.

    IF stupid hurt or IF we could fix stupid in the future I'm sure they would change their policy about loaded guns but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
    Does meijer know me when I walk in the door? Meijer attracts a huge amount of morons too i'm sure, but they don't ask everyone to disarm just because they don't know them and they might be stupid. Isn't it the same thing?

    As long as people are willing to disarm they will continue the policy I'm sure, but if gun owners united and stood up to them it would be gone really fast. Hard to have a gun show if all your gun loving customers are refusing to go because of your policy. jmo
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northwest Kent County, Michigan
    Posts
    757
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    If a store asked you to do that upon entering and said it was a "safety rule" would you feel the same way?
    Big difference between a gun show and a store. A very common activity at gun shows involves the physical handling of guns, which means that sooner or later someone is going to handle their 'loaded' weapon. A prime example (borrowed from above), would be trying out a holster, etc.

    As a show promoter, I can definitely see why they have the rule. If you don't see the point, that is fine.

    And no, it would not be ok for a store (other than a gun store - for the same reason mentioned above) to cite a 'safety rule'. I'll spend my money somewhere else in that case.
    Last edited by OC4me; 02-18-2012 at 04:08 PM.

  15. #15
    Regular Member detroit_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by OC4me View Post
    Big difference between a gun show and a store. A very common activity at gun shows involves the physical handling of guns, which means that sooner or later someone is going to handle their 'loaded' weapon. A prime example (borrowed from above), would be trying out a holster, etc.

    As a show promoter, I can definitely see why they have the rule. If you don't see the point, that is fine.

    And no, it would not be ok for a store (other than a gun store - for the same reason mentioned above) to cite a 'safety rule'. I'll spend my money somewhere else in that case.
    agree to disagree I guess. personally this policy i why i never spend a dime at the shows. if they feel gun owners are too stupid to not handle a loaded weapon in a safe manner than that's their problem. to me it's a business just as other stores and i don't spend money at stores that infringe on my right(privilege) to carry. i think it sets a terrible example for other stores to follow.
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Burton, Michigan
    Posts
    3,361
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    Does meijer know me when I walk in the door? Meijer attracts a huge amount of morons too i'm sure, but they don't ask everyone to disarm just because they don't know them and they might be stupid. Isn't it the same thing?

    As long as people are willing to disarm they will continue the policy I'm sure, but if gun owners united and stood up to them it would be gone really fast. Hard to have a gun show if all your gun loving customers are refusing to go because of your policy. jmo
    IMO, the unloaded policies will never change when you continue to have vendors, patrons and even security having ND's -- what seems to be a monthly occurrence at shows across the US -- regardless of the number of gun owners to stand up against the policies. Yet, at the same time, not attending gun shows kinda plays into the Brady Bunch campaign.

  17. #17
    Regular Member griffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Okemos, MI
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    if they feel gun owners are too stupid to not handle a loaded weapon in a safe manner than that's their problem.
    Unfortunately ever so often stupid gun owners prove them right at gun shows.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

  18. #18
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,445
    Quote Originally Posted by dougwg View Post
    The reason they make you unload is because they DON'T KNOW YOU!

    Gun shows attract a HUGE amount of morons. They like to take their loaded guns out of the holster to show people and try holsters.

    IF stupid hurt or IF we could fix stupid in the future I'm sure they would change their policy about loaded guns but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
    So, similar to gun stores that allow loaded CC and OC????
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  19. #19
    Regular Member ISMOID's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    MOC Charter Member - Dearborn Heights, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    237
    I carried in the Taylor Town Center gun show today, I know that Dean does not have an issue as long as you leave your loaded firearm alone while in the show (isn't that just common sense?)

    Almost didn't get into the Novi show, while entering the lady sitting there asked if I had any firearms, I told her that I wasn't answering that. She wasn't going to let me in until I answered. I basically said it to be a smart-ass.
    The Novi show had so many people you could barely move through there.

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Taylor, Wayne County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,047

    Lightbulb Good points

    Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    Does meijer know me when I walk in the door? Meijer attracts a huge amount of morons too i'm sure, but they don't ask everyone to disarm just because they don't know them and they might be stupid. Isn't it the same thing?

    As long as people are willing to disarm they will continue the policy I'm sure, but if gun owners united and stood up to them it would be gone really fast. Hard to have a gun show if all your gun loving customers are refusing to go because of your policy. jmo
    Your points here are very valid in my honest opinion. The problem is getting people to stand up. This forum is loaded with very well meaning folks who never attend any kind of OC/CC Pro 2A events. That's ok, I do understand life is hectic. But the catch is doing nothing is in fact doing something in the negative. Most people are out of their comfort zone when it comes to standing up for their rights. Sad but true in as far as I've seen to date.

    Meijers / Wal-Mart etc... are great examples of corporate lip service. They say we follow state law BUT we leave the choice to individual store managers (sometimes not even a general manager) to decided if a citizen should be stripped of their rights to self protection and freedom of expression. Now if a group of 25 -50 OCers and supporters showed up with picket signs, on the public sidewalks next to the entrance drives of individual stores that have chosen to trample civil rights of law abiding citizens; you can bet the folks at corporate would be tripping over themselves to change their policy once the news cameras started showing up. It's all about $$$! That's the only thing that really matters anymore....again, sad but true in my humble opinion.
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 02-18-2012 at 10:47 PM.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

    “Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Such hypocrites ... people who get mad at other business for not allowing carrying see a gun show in a different light.

    Just an observation ...

  22. #22
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXDacp View Post
    IMO, the unloaded policies will never change when you continue to have vendors, patrons and even security having ND's -- what seems to be a monthly occurrence at shows across the US -- regardless of the number of gun owners to stand up against the policies. Yet, at the same time, not attending gun shows kinda plays into the Brady Bunch campaign.
    I disagree- the policies will continue as long as people are willing to compromise their safety for a few almighty bucks.

    For me, no guns, no money. No store or show is so important that I will willingly compromise my safety, or that of my family, by willingly leaving myself defenseless. I carry a sidearm for a reason, and its not to make a political statement.
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  23. #23
    Regular Member detroit_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    Your points here are very valid in my honest opinion. The problem is getting people to stand up. This forum is loaded with very well meaning folks who never attend any kind of OC/CC Pro 2A events. That's ok, I do understand life is hectic. But the catch is doing nothing is in fact doing something in the negative. Most people are out of their comfort zone when it comes to standing up for their rights. Sad but true in as far as I've seen to date.

    Meijers / Wal-Mart etc... are great examples of corporate lip service. They say we follow state law BUT we leave the choice to individual store managers (sometimes not even a general manager) to decided if a citizen should be stripped of their rights to self protection and freedom of expression. Now if a group of 25 -50 OCers and supporters showed up with picket signs, on the public sidewalks next to the entrance drives of individual stores that have chosen to trample civil rights of law abiding citizens; you can bet the folks at corporate would be tripping over themselves to change their policy once the news cameras started showing up. It's all about $$$! That's the only thing that really matters anymore....again, sad but true in my humble opinion.
    Well said, and I agree 100%
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •