• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Novi Gun Shows

Mitchell

Is open carry allowed in the gun show?

Sorry, no you are not. At the front door you will be asked to unload and zip tie your action at the door. The vendor sets the rules.

Voice your opinion if you wish.

maustin195

Sorry, no you are not. At the front door you will be asked to unload and zip tie your action at the door. The vendor sets the rules.

Voice your opinion if you wish.

If open carry is not allowed then how do all the people carry rifles on slings without cases?

detroit_fan

I've never understood why gun owners put up with this crap. We make it a point to not patronize businesses that infringe on our right to carry, but then go to a gun show and allow them to disarm us? So Starbucks is more 2A friendly than a GUN show? Am I the only onw that sees a major problem with that? If all the gun owners took a stand and refused to go to gun shows with this policy I bet it would change real fast, but as long as people are willing to keep allowing them to do it I see no way it will get better. just my .02(not that anyone asked :))

maustin195

They too are zip tied open. Carry all you want but will be told to open your chamber drop the mag and get zip tied.

That is still open carry even though it is unloaded. Concealed carry also even though unloaded. The question by the OP was can you open carry . The answer is yes can with a CPL and no ammo. A CPL is needed because of their Liquor License.

Last edited:

OC4me

All gun shows (that I've ever been too) have that rule (no loaded firearms). It is not an anti-gun rule, it is a safety rule. A gun show is basically one big show & tell event. That means people talking guns, fondling, pointing, putting fingers on triggers, etc.

Just carry concealed if you want to have a loaded gun (and keep it concealed).

Last edited:

detroit_fan

All gun shows (that I've ever been too) have that rule (no loaded firearms). It is not an anti-gun rule, it is a safety rule. A gun show is basically one big show & tell event. That means people talking guns, fondling, pointing, putting fingers on triggers, etc.

Just carry concealed if you want to have a loaded gun (and keep it concealed).

If a store asked you to do that upon entering and said it was a "safety rule" would you feel the same way?

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
If they refuse lawful carry, vote with your feet. The only way we'll see change is we actually grow a backbone and walk the talk.

Vote with your feet and your wallet. Do not patronize hypocrites! No guns, no money!

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
There are promoters that do allow OC at their events - please support them if you can

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ston-Gun-Show-September-4-2010&highlight=show

The promoter mentioned in this link went out of his way to visit a OC event on 8-8-2010 & invite us to attend his shows (most are held in Clarkston, MI a few miles north of Great Lakes Crossing Mall. He also does some shows at the Taylor Trade Center in Taylor, MI. Along with some shows in Redford, MI.

http://www.ww2collector.com/gunshow.htm

*Note* before attending any Taylor shows please contact the promoter as my experience is the folks that run that place are shall we say prone to suffering from rectal cranial inversion from time to time. :eek:

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
I've never understood why gun owners put up with this crap. We make it a point to not patronize businesses that infringe on our right to carry, but then go to a gun show and allow them to disarm us? So Starbucks is more 2A friendly than a GUN show? Am I the only onw that sees a major problem with that? If all the gun owners took a stand and refused to go to gun shows with this policy I bet it would change real fast, but as long as people are willing to keep allowing them to do it I see no way it will get better. just my .02(not that anyone asked :))

The reason they make you unload is because they DON'T KNOW YOU!

Gun shows attract a HUGE amount of morons. They like to take their loaded guns out of the holster to show people and try holsters.

IF stupid hurt or IF we could fix stupid in the future I'm sure they would change their policy about loaded guns but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

detroit_fan

Gun shows attract a HUGE amount of morons. They like to take their loaded guns out of the holster to show people and try holsters.

IF stupid hurt or IF we could fix stupid in the future I'm sure they would change their policy about loaded guns but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Does meijer know me when I walk in the door? Meijer attracts a huge amount of morons too i'm sure, but they don't ask everyone to disarm just because they don't know them and they might be stupid. Isn't it the same thing?

As long as people are willing to disarm they will continue the policy I'm sure, but if gun owners united and stood up to them it would be gone really fast. Hard to have a gun show if all your gun loving customers are refusing to go because of your policy. jmo

OC4me

If a store asked you to do that upon entering and said it was a "safety rule" would you feel the same way?

Big difference between a gun show and a store. A very common activity at gun shows involves the physical handling of guns, which means that sooner or later someone is going to handle their 'loaded' weapon. A prime example (borrowed from above), would be trying out a holster, etc.

As a show promoter, I can definitely see why they have the rule. If you don't see the point, that is fine.

And no, it would not be ok for a store (other than a gun store - for the same reason mentioned above) to cite a 'safety rule'. I'll spend my money somewhere else in that case.

Last edited:

detroit_fan

Big difference between a gun show and a store. A very common activity at gun shows involves the physical handling of guns, which means that sooner or later someone is going to handle their 'loaded' weapon. A prime example (borrowed from above), would be trying out a holster, etc.

As a show promoter, I can definitely see why they have the rule. If you don't see the point, that is fine.

And no, it would not be ok for a store (other than a gun store - for the same reason mentioned above) to cite a 'safety rule'. I'll spend my money somewhere else in that case.

agree to disagree I guess. personally this policy i why i never spend a dime at the shows. if they feel gun owners are too stupid to not handle a loaded weapon in a safe manner than that's their problem. to me it's a business just as other stores and i don't spend money at stores that infringe on my right(privilege) to carry. i think it sets a terrible example for other stores to follow.

SpringerXDacp

Does meijer know me when I walk in the door? Meijer attracts a huge amount of morons too i'm sure, but they don't ask everyone to disarm just because they don't know them and they might be stupid. Isn't it the same thing?

As long as people are willing to disarm they will continue the policy I'm sure, but if gun owners united and stood up to them it would be gone really fast. Hard to have a gun show if all your gun loving customers are refusing to go because of your policy. jmo

IMO, the unloaded policies will never change when you continue to have vendors, patrons and even security having ND's -- what seems to be a monthly occurrence at shows across the US -- regardless of the number of gun owners to stand up against the policies. Yet, at the same time, not attending gun shows kinda plays into the Brady Bunch campaign.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

So, similar to gun stores that allow loaded CC and OC????

ISMOID

MOC Charter Member - Dearborn Heights, Michigan, U
I carried in the Taylor Town Center gun show today, I know that Dean does not have an issue as long as you leave your loaded firearm alone while in the show (isn't that just common sense?)

Almost didn't get into the Novi show, while entering the lady sitting there asked if I had any firearms, I told her that I wasn't answering that. She wasn't going to let me in until I answered. I basically said it to be a smart-ass.
The Novi show had so many people you could barely move through there.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Good points

Your points here are very valid in my honest opinion. The problem is getting people to stand up. This forum is loaded with very well meaning folks who never attend any kind of OC/CC Pro 2A events. That's ok, I do understand life is hectic. But the catch is doing nothing is in fact doing something in the negative. Most people are out of their comfort zone when it comes to standing up for their rights. Sad but true in as far as I've seen to date.

Meijers / Wal-Mart etc... are great examples of corporate lip service. They say we follow state law BUT we leave the choice to individual store managers (sometimes not even a general manager) to decided if a citizen should be stripped of their rights to self protection and freedom of expression. Now if a group of 25 -50 OCers and supporters showed up with picket signs, on the public sidewalks next to the entrance drives of individual stores that have chosen to trample civil rights of law abiding citizens; you can bet the folks at corporate would be tripping over themselves to change their policy once the news cameras started showing up. It's all about $$$! That's the only thing that really matters anymore....again, sad but true in my humble opinion.

Last edited: