• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question: Has your carry habit changed since Nov.

Packer fan

I know it hasn't been long since the CCW permit has been introduced but I was wondering if anyone's carry habits, form OC to CC, changed, if so why?

Or will you continue to OC, if so Why?

I'm not wanting a debate of which is better but what I would like to know is why the change. Now, if you didn't OC before and waited until the CC law then you can give reason as to why the wait,

I'm just curious how the law has affected you. Also, wanting to know if there is an effect as to how people see OC.

I live in a State that is CC.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Mine Has Changed Significantly!

I know it hasn't been long since the CCW permit has been introduced but I was wondering if anyone's carry habits, form OC to CC, changed, if so why?

Or will you continue to OC, if so Why?

I'm not wanting a debate of which is better but what I would like to know is why the change. Now, if you didn't OC before and waited until the CC law then you can give reason as to why the wait,

I'm just curious how the law has affected you. Also, wanting to know if there is an effect as to how people see OC.

I live in a State that is CC.

I have been open carrying for the past few years but always had to "Do the dance" in and out of my vehicle and of course "Unload and lock em up" in the unconstitutional gun free school zones. Now my handgun doesn't leave my holster during the day and I don't worry about going through the GFSZ's. I keep it with me and I don't worry about covering it. Also, I walk my dogs several times a day and until I received the license I had to disarm and leave my gun at home because I live just over 1,000 feet from one of those "Zones" where you have to be disarmed unless you have a "license". Not anymore! The past few days have been warm in the afternoon and I have open carried around my block into and out of those "zones" while wearing my handgun openly. This Spring and Summer are going to be interesting as I ride my bicycle through the streets while openly armed. Of course my GoPro will be running the entire time....just in case.

Mlutz

I also carry more often now. More cc now because of the cold weather, but I will OC pretty much all summer.

Miggs

Open carried before the law change. Conceal Carry now that I have the CCL all the time. People who OC is whatever, not for me now but matters not to me who does.

filhar1

CC all the time now, will be OCing a lot when warm weather hits. It's interesting, cause I'm a government worker and can't park in my work parking lot, so have to carry a safe and put guns, knife, whatever in it to go to and from work. Weekends are great even though I've lost a couple of my favorite eating places.
Going shopping in Madison this weekend, we'll see how that works.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Interesting Avatar ....

If you don't mind me asking what make and model is that revolver? Looks like something for Cowboy Action Shooting. Nice!

H

Herr Heckler Koch

CCW legally at church post Act 35.

An unexpected complication is the thump from the butt snagging on the chair back as I stand. That didn't happen while we were using traditional pews (sanctuary is being renovated).

Jason in WI

I don't take off my firearm anymore when I have to drive! That really is the biggest difference for me now, I still open carry every where. I do find myself concealing ever now and again like my girlfriends family functions, they always gave me looks like my firearm was going to jump out on its own so now I sweep a shirt over it and its safe for them. I also conceal in a select few places that I go to that would probably post if people open carried but so far have not posted.

For the most part I still open carry all the time because it's just more comfortable and I'm not a criminal so I don't feel the need to hide my self defense tool. I don't really get any weird looks or hassles and for the few long glances I get it doesn't bother me. After having to load and unload my firearm in public every-time I drove somewhere, I lost my shyness about others knowing I have a firearm. Now a days putting my firearm on the belt is the same as putting my cell phone in my pocket, just another necessary accessory I hope I don't have to use.

Last edited:

ckmorley

I carry every time I leave the house. If I'm just walking up to the gas station for tobacco, I'll put on my SW .38 in a Galco paddle holster. If I'm going driving into GB for the day, I'll bring my Glock 17 in a shoulder holster. I carry concealed usually because I hate attracting attention.

ckmorley

Viper

I have open carried most of the time for the past 2 years. All the time now that I received my CCL. It sure is nice not having to do the dance getting in and out of the truck anymore.

I don't know if I will ever conceal carry even though I have a shoulder holster and an IWB holster. Maybe under the jacket when I start riding the Harley again.

Had a bite to eat at the infamous East Town Culvers last night. No one even noticed I was open carrying.

Sorcice

I didn't even know it was legal to OC out here until act 35 got approved. Since then I did the dance and then nov 1 no more dance but very careful when in the car. Got my ccl and don't leave home without it. First in super tuck now almost always in my Serpa owb with paddle attached. When summer hits I may change it up more. As mentioned above it's like grabbing my cell phone hah.

phleye

Yes it's changed. I now carry everywhere I go. Open and concealed and I love it. Summer I will probably OC more often and there are only a few instances when I CC (friends houses/parties/parents house).

pkbites

I've been able to CCW for almost 30 years now. But even as an off-duty cop I had to obey the school zone nonsense.

Now I always OC when I walk my dog or just go on my daily 3 mile walk.

deadlifter

I received my license on Dec23rd, and have yet to use it. I still open carry everywhere I go.

Like others said, now I dont have to do the dance, and I dont have to worry about my shirt or sweatshirt covering my gun.

I will continue to open carry for awareness. I have no problems talking with people who may ask questions.

MKEgal

Yes, my carry habit has changed since Nov. :uhoh:

filhar1 said:
I'm a government worker and can't park in my work parking lot
Huh? I thought even gov't agencies can't ban self-defense tools kept in privately-owned vehicles?
Or do you work for the post office (which isn't actually gov't-owned, just taxpayer-supported and has its own little part of the federal Code)?

pkbites said:
even as an off-duty cop I had to obey the school zone nonsense.
Out of curiosity, have you gotten both licenses?

gdyslin

I am a federal government worker also and it is illegal to have a gun even locked up in car in parking lot I'm afraid.

pkbites

I've been able to CCW for almost 30 years now. But even as an off-duty cop I had to obey the school zone nonsense.

Now I always OC when I walk my dog or just go on my daily 3 mile walk.

Out of curiosity, have you gotten both licenses?

Both licenses? :confused:

Are you referring to my police department ID as a "license"? If so, then yes, I have that plus a Wisconsin CCL. If not, please clarify.

One would think that federal law 218 would shield off-duty officers from the GFSZ idiocy, but I was told by no less than the State Attorney Generals office that it doesn't.

Last edited:

cheezhed

I carry a lot more as I live in a school zone. It is nice to be able to carry worry free when walking the dogs.
I had a near miss several years ago when I was being stalked by a couple of youths, if my large dog had not been
with me I think I would have been a victim. I now no longer daydream when I am out and about. I am now very aware of my surroundings.