• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question: Has your carry habit changed since Nov.

bigdaddy1

As many have stated, I no longer concern myself with the woe's of unloading and encasing. However I have decided I must get a firearm more suited to CC, my current sidearm is too bulky. It is hard to buckle up in the car as my strong side is my right.

Jason in WI

Both licenses? :confused:

Are you referring to my police department ID as a "license"? If so, then yes, I have that plus a Wisconsin CCL. If not, please clarify.

I believe she was referring to the licensees you can get from the Law Enforcement Safety act or whatever it is. My girlfriends father was a officer/detective for a gazillion years and was going to get it but decided to just get the WI CCL because the other one had lots of restrictions and you had to re-qualify every year or something.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
As many have stated, I no longer concern myself with the woe's of unloading and encasing. However I have decided I must get a firearm more suited to CC, my current sidearm is too bulky. It is hard to buckle up in the car as my strong side is my right.

After years of car carry I finally ended up with what I consider the best for car wear and daily carry....my Glock 36. It's small, lightweight and powerful (.45 ACP) and I don't even notice it is there with my seat belt on. I use to carry it S.O.B. when I lived in Florida and even in that position it was fine for driving (but not for use in my vehicle). I've looked at the Glock 30 and probably would have gone with it instead of the 36 if I had seen it before getting the 36. Add the Pierce grip extender to it and it adds about an inch to the grip and one extra round for 7+1 capacity. I carry it in a Bianchi Evader now right side and it's "the hoot".

Miggs

I know it hasn't been long since the CCW permit has been introduced but I was wondering if anyone's carry habits, form OC to CC, changed, if so why?

Or will you continue to OC, if so Why?

I'm not wanting a debate of which is better but what I would like to know is why the change. Now, if you didn't OC before and waited until the CC law then you can give reason as to why the wait,

I'm just curious how the law has affected you. Also, wanting to know if there is an effect as to how people see OC.

I live in a State that is CC.

I believe that OCing is not that popular in my part of Wisconsin. I have never seen anyone OC except myself. I have only been bothered by someone one time. That was back before Act 35.

Last edited:

pkbites

I believe she was referring to the licensees you can get from the Law Enforcement Safety act or whatever it is. My girlfriends father was a officer/detective for a gazillion years and was going to get it but decided to just get the WI CCL because the other one had lots of restrictions and you had to re-qualify every year or something.

It's not a license it's a certification card. It's basically just a retired officers ID that says it's also valid for HR218 until [date] and what weapon it's valid for (it's weapon specific, unlike the state CCL).

I don't need it because immediately after I retired after 25 years I took a part-time gig with another agency (just to stay in the game) so I am still active law enforcement and can use my current ID.

But according to the AG office, even active law enforcement, if off duty, are not covered to be in a school zone. So I got the CCL too.

To get it I sent in the transcript from the police academy I attended, stating that I had so many hours of firearms training. This transcript was from 1982!

But that doesn't top this:
For the Wisconsin CCL a retired detective friend of mine sent in a copy of some document that indicated he had been trained with a .45 pistol while in the army! It was dated 1952!!!!!

Last edited:

jpm84092

Wisconsin Act 35 did not change my carry habits because I live in Utah now and carry concealed every day; both my Springfield XD-9 and my little back-up Kel-Tech 32. What has changed in my life is the way I travel to Wisconsin when I visit. After November 1, I no longer go through Illinois but instead head up through IA to get to Wisconsin Highway 11 and on to Janesville and then Burlington. I never have to disarm because my permit(s) are good to go in UT, WY, NE, IA, and WI.

When I visited WI in early November, I did not "rub it in" during the classes I taught that I did not have to "do the dance" driving there and back.

MKEgal

pkbites said:
Both licenses?
What Jason said - there's one only available to LEO, one available to any law-abiding citizen.
The LEO one requires yearly recert & only allows carry of a specific pistol, but you can carry anywhere in the US (except in a school, where only criminals & on-duty LEO can carry).

The regular-citizen one is restricted on where we can carry, but we can choose whatever tool suits us that day.

Didn't realize you were still employed, though, so the question is meaningless.
Never mind...

Last edited:

Packer fan

Wisconsin Act 35 did not change my carry habits because I live in Utah now and carry concealed every day; both my Springfield XD-9 and my little back-up Kel-Tech 32. What has changed in my life is the way I travel to Wisconsin when I visit. After November 1, I no longer go through Illinois but instead head up through IA to get to Wisconsin Highway 11 and on to Janesville and then Burlington. I never have to disarm because my permit(s) are good to go in UT, WY, NE, IA, and WI.

When I visited WI in early November, I did not "rub it in" during the classes I taught that I did not have to "do the dance" driving there and back.

I too travel through Iowa now bypassing Ill. I'll either travel Hwy 11 or 151 depending on who I'm stopping to visit, but I haven't been able to visit since June of last year. I'll still OC when visiting.

filhar1

MKEgal, yes, I'm a Postal Worker. I usually say "gov. worker because of the "going Postal" thing.

Rcawdor 57, yes I'm a Cowboy Action Shooter. That gun is one of a pair of Great Western IIs that I got from EMF. It's a copy of a second generation Colt with Birdshead grip and REAL case hardening done by Turnbull. Go to his web site to see some gorgeous guns. He does real bone and charcole hardening like they used to. I bought them for backups and dress guns, but I like them better than my stainless Great Westerns.

bigdaddy1

MKEgal, yes, I'm a Postal Worker. I usually say "gov. worker because of the "going Postal" thing.

Rcawdor 57, yes I'm a Cowboy Action Shooter. That gun is one of a pair of Great Western IIs that I got from EMF. It's a copy of a second generation Colt with Birdshead grip and REAL case hardening done by Turnbull. Go to his web site to see some gorgeous guns. He does real bone and charcole hardening like they used to. I bought them for backups and dress guns, but I like them better than my stainless Great Westerns.

I've often thought about getting something like one of the old peace makers. I dont know if they make one in double action though, I wouldn't want one in single action. Just my personal taste.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I've often thought about getting something like one of the old peace makers. I dont know if they make one in double action though, I wouldn't want one in single action. Just my personal taste.

Single action is the best ... awfully accurate, which is what counts.

My carry has not changed...

rcav8r

I carry more often now that I have my plastic. Until Saturday, I only had my Serpa blackhawk for my XD45, so that's what I use. Now I don't have to worry about it being under my shirt or winter coat. I don't carry every day with it.

Now that I have my cleveland IWB holster for my PT 145, I intend to use that, but I'll have to either lose some weight or get bigger pants!;)

Bushmaster

Like everyone else I no longer do "the dance" and I carry cc more then oc now. just prefer not to draw attention to myself. I also carry all the time now instead of occasionaly.