• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I conceal at work?

Dizzy

As stated in my previous post. I do not have a Concealed Weapons Permit. So, I open carry. My boss doesn't see this as something our customers would appreciate and has asked me to conceal it while at work.

Now, for the past few days, I have just been unholstering and storing my sigma in the desk drawer. But, I don't sit by that desk for the duration of my time there, and it doesn't lock. So, I'd prefer to be able to just CC while at work. Does this count under private property? As long as my boss is ok with the fact?

Moodock

§61-7-6. Exceptions as to prohibitions against carrying concealed deadly weapons.
The licensure provisions set forth in this article do not apply to:

(1) Any person carrying a deadly weapon upon his or her own premises; nor shall anything herein prevent a person from carrying any firearm, unloaded, from the place of purchase to his or her home, residence or place of business or to a place of repair and back to his or her home, residence or place of business, nor shall anything herein prohibit a person from possessing a firearm while hunting in a lawful manner or while traveling from his or her home, residence or place of business to a hunting site and returning to his or her home, residence or place of business;

(2) Any person who is a member of a properly organized target-shooting club authorized by law to obtain firearms by purchase or requisition from this state or from the United States for the purpose of target practice from carrying any pistol, as defined in this article, unloaded, from his or her home, residence or place of business to a place of target practice and from any place of target practice back to his or her home, residence or place of business, for using any such weapon at a place of target practice in training and improving his or her skill in the use of the weapons;

Based on the wording, no you cannot. You may possess a firearm at your place of business, but you cannot carry a loaded weapon on your person concealed while at work without a permit.

Sig229

I was under the impression that you could conceal on any private property if you had the owner's permission.

Possible I'm wrong.

True, however I would get it in writing from the owner. I know it would be a pain to do so, but well worth it.

If you were to ever use your weapon while on his property he would probably be VERY worried about liability and his insurance may not even cover it.

I dont care how long or how well you know the owner. When someone is in jeopardy of losing his business or at least losing his insurance, you'd be surprised how quickly someone can "forget" that he gave you verbal permission to carry a firearm at work.
Even if you are 100% legal using the firearm in self defense, that doesn't mean much to insurance companies or a civil attorney on behalf of the defendant.

Last edited:

Dizzy

See, that was my first thought. The whole 'private property' thing. Just wanted to verify that. I will get written permission from my boss. Won't be a problem at all. Thank you for clearing that up, guys!

Sig229

See, that was my first thought. The whole 'private property' thing. Just wanted to verify that. I will get written permission from my boss. Won't be a problem at all. Thank you for clearing that up, guys!

You're welcome! Glad to help.

Once you get the written permission, I would make a photo copy and keep the original at home in a safe place.
Then keep the copy in your wallet while at work. Keeping the original safe is priority.
The original is the one you are going to have to take to court if anything ever happens.

And if something does happen DO NOT give the original to the police.
They will most likely never give it back and will probably lose it during the chain of custody.
If you have to give it to anyone, give it to your lawyer. NOBODY ELSE! No matter how ignorant or threatening the detectives/police act towards you. That letter will save your ass from a whole mess of trouble and the job of the police arent to be your friends or help you.
Only your lawyer is paid to help you.

Last edited:

Dreamer

No matter how ignorant or threatening the detectives/police act towards you. That letter will save your ass from a whole mess of trouble and the job of the police arent to be your friends or help you.
Only your lawyer is paid to help you.

+1,000,000

Last edited: