• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Today's Featured Virginia Politician

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The Senate just Passed by all the House bills for the day so I have to waste some time....oh well

Today's Featured Senator:

Sen. L. Louise Lucas, D-Portsmouth, took offense to remarks by freshman Sen. Thomas A. Garrett Jr., R-Louisa. Garrett had somewhat brusquely contradicted comments by Sen. Richard L. Saslaw, D-Fairfax, regarding the pay of Virginia teachers relative to other states.
That prompted Lucas to rise from her seat, walk toward Martin's seat in the center and throw a copy of her proxy votes for future bills on the table in front of him. She then stormed out of the meeting

She is a snappy dresser though!:lol:

super-fly.jpg

Last edited:

mk4

i saw that the senate passed most of the business by for the day and adjourned.
wth?? they just want to take the rest of the day off to take in the sunshine?? :rolleyes:

crikey! there's work to be done.

mk4

and now the house has adjourned with most of the work undone... :confused:

TFred

It is not uncommon for them to take Friday afternoons off. I don't know if they usually do that with a calendar of unfinished business or not, but having the Friday afternoon free is not unusual at all.

TFred

ETA: Just one more thought... I've been paying close attention to the schedules this year, have been able to get down for observation and speaking a total of 3 times so far. You can say what you want about these folks, but they put in LONG hours. There are committee meetings scheduled from 7AM to 5PM (start times), 4 out of the 5 weekdays, plus usually Friday mornings.

Added to the fact that most of them have other full-time jobs that they are away from, and are likely trying to keep up with at least some, during the session. We may not agree with all of their positions on the issues, but I will grant them the credit for working hard.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Oh, I didn't realize it was "Abandon Your Duties Because It's Friday and Sunny" day. Guess I better call out of work now...

They work long hours by choice, unlike many others....no sympathy here

Last edited:

mk4

seems like an awful lot of business to leave unfinished considering the short session.

maybe they're worried about the snow forecast. the senate clerk made a long announcement about it, so maybe they're just allowing folks to get home tonight at a reasonable time.

ok, i'll turn off my 'cynic' mode, for now... ;-)

eta: other than to say that i'm confident that i understand what 'long hours' mean better than 99.9% of our delegates, i'm going to stay out of the debate.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I know for a fact that my delegate returns to his full time job on Friday afternoons and often spends the better part of the rest of the day catching up with his duties there.

TFred

Once again, done by choice, I have no sympathy for folks who choose to work long hours. Not all, but most of our reps are working to advance their political careers.

Those who have to work them to survive, or to defend my freedoms (soldiers) get my sympathy. If your rep fits into to the above, then I apologize for being sarcastic.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
:banghead:
wth did i get the idea that odd-numbered years were budget-session years?

Maybe because even even numbered years can be odd years. :p

The Ides of March will be on us soon enough. :uhoh: