• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where Do You Sit? Interesting Article On Where We Sit In Public....

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Link: http://uscca.us/ccr/view_post.php?postId=646

Snip: "Just wondering how many of us actually strategically pick a "good safe spot" when seated in a public place? What constitutes a good one? What do you look for?

Personally, I always sit with my back to the wall, I keep an entrance or exit in plain sight, and always monitor what is going on around me. I am very particular that my body is positioned in such a way that I can draw unrestricted if need be, typically meaning that my strong side is opposite any potential threat area. I'm interested in what others do."

I agree.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I always have sat facing the entrance and with a wall at my back if possible.

Jack House

I always sit in the corners furthest from the doors with my back to the wall and positioned in such a way as to be able see as much of the place as possible.

I don't like having people behind me at restaurants. I don't know why, but that is how it has always been for me.

Posted using my HTCEvo via Tapatalk

Sorcice

if by myself i try to sit so im looking at the door. if possible with nobody behind me. if with other people ill usually try to do the same but cant always get to the seat first.

DocWalker

I don't know if it is the military training, the fact I have been in 3 wars, or that I'm just super paroniod but I have and will always sit with my back to the wall or in a cornor both with the least amount of people behind me. So I can see the entrance and exits and so nobody gets behind me.

I went to a truck stop and all the boths and tables were full and the waitress told me to sit at the counter..I laughed and told her I would wait, she couldn't understand why I didn't want to sit at the counter as to let everyone walk behind me the entire time.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I don't know if it is the military training, ...
Of the folks posted here so far, I only know that Cawdor and I are veterans, but we can't tell about our 'wars' - Silent Service and all that.

Everyone takes similar precautions. So maybe it has little to with military or 'wars'. But thanks.

I trained in Idaho at NRTS/INEL, lived in Pocatello, got faced in Mud Lake and at Chancy's in IF. I'm called Mister in Priest River where I visit frequently (it'll be less so when Bro., Pastor Dave, slips away).

DocWalker

Of the folks posted here so far, I only know that Cawdor and I are veterans, but we can't tell about our 'wars' - Silent Service and all that.

Everyone takes similar precautions. So maybe it has little to with military or 'wars'. But thanks.

I trained in Idaho at NRTS/INEL, lived in Pocatello, got faced in Mud Lake and at Chancy's in IF. I'm called Mister in Priest River where I visit frequently (it'll be less so when Bro., Pastor Dave, slips away).

The only reason I brought up the military training is because they stress "situational awarness", they even went as far as to tell you what seats you should be in on a plane or bus. Things like don't sit on the isle seats or in the front or back as you would be closer and a easier target for a terrorist.

I can understand anyone that OC/CC's would have a greater sense of what was going on with their surroundings. It is one of those things that we carry as to protect our family and our self so we would be hyper sensitive more so than someone that doesn't give a dam.

TyGuy

8 years turning wrenches in the Air Force. It wasn't that dangerous for me even though our aircraft took a pounding (bullet holes, engines destroyed by RPGS, etc...)

jpm84092

Semper Vigilans

Inside: I sit back to the wall with few if any persons behind me. I will have already assessed the opportunities for both cover and concealment.

Outside: I assess cover and concealment options as I walk along. I often scan rooftops (old habit) and ally openings. I am always assessing potential threats as others pass by. I avoid large public gatherings whenever possible.

Approaching home: I scan the windows for signs of break in before approaching my door.

Although I enjoy a good beer or brandy in the evening before bed as much as any red-blooded Wisconsinite (even though I now live in UT), I do not drink in public places as it takes away my edge.

Semper Vigilans is Latin for always vigilant. It is all about situational awareness.

kawisixer01

I typically am like ya'll. I sit with my back to a wall or in a corner, within sight of the doors and where i can see whats going on. If it's summer and i'm on a motorcycle I will pretty much always insist on sitting somewhere I can see the bike.

FallonJeeper

I don't need to be in a corner, or back against a wall, but I prefer to be toward the back , facing the door, and strong side away from the aisle or passing customers.

Last edited:

32HR MAG

Now I know why it's so hard find a place to sit.You guys took all the good spots.lol

You can't be aware of your surroundings if you can't see your surroundings

GreenCountyPete

A friend of mine was shot at while in his own restaurant many years ago , the shooter was outside and shot thru the big front window . luckily the window took enough out of the slug and it didn't hit him (shooter had been "asked" to leave the restaurant earlier that night), he never sat with his back to the window again. when we would go out to eat together we had specific places we would sit , and if a window was the only option usually it had set of blinds that could be turned so that no one saw in well

i had always preferred the back , or quite part of a restaurant, never liked crowds , so as i learned more about situational awareness it just made even more sense.

my wife knows i want to sit in the back against a wall when we go to a restaurant i also like fire exits , the kind that only open out near by.