• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alright carry quesitons here...

tynimiller

Got a couple so bare with me:

#1 So I work for the local government (a County Assessor's office to be precise) and ever since July and carrying on our property is legal I've always wondered as an employee I can as well correct? Or would my employee handbook/guidelines be able to over ride my ability to practice my right to bear arms. We do not have metal detectors or posted security at our building so it isn't one that falls in that category. Any assistance would be great!

#2 Wife works at a school as a teacher and I frequently find myself going there to help with this or that and my handgun typically is with me but stays locked out of sight in my truck...legal or illegal on school ground?

#3 When carrying open or concealed in any private establishment all the owner can do is request you to leave right? They cannot press charges as long as you oblige correct?

cce1302

First, get familiar with this:

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/

Got a couple so bare with me:

#1 So I work for the local government (a County Assessor's office to be precise) and ever since July and carrying on our property is legal I've always wondered as an employee I can as well correct? Or would my employee handbook/guidelines be able to over ride my ability to practice my right to bear arms. We do not have metal detectors or posted security at our building so it isn't one that falls in that category. Any assistance would be great!
Chapter 11.1 is the state law that covers this.

"Political subdivision regulation of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories prohibited
Sec. 2. Except as provided in section 4 of this chapter, a political subdivision may not regulate:
(1) firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories;
(2) the ownership, possession, carrying, transportation, registration, transfer, and storage of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories; and
(3) commerce in and taxation of firearms, firearm ammunition, and firearm accessories."

Read the chapter to familiarize yourself with the exceptions. County offices do not qualify for an exception, but a county courthouse does, so if you have to go to the courthouse, you should disarm.
#2 Wife works at a school as a teacher and I frequently find myself going there to help with this or that and my handgun typically is with me but stays locked out of sight in my truck...legal or illegal on school ground?
Chapter 9 is where you need to look. Right now, it says it is a felony to possess a firearm on school property. The exception is
"(3) A person who:
(A) may legally possess a firearm; and
(B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function."

There is a bill in this senate session (SB0180) to make it legal to have a firearm locked in a vehicle on school property.

http://www.in.gov/apps/lsa/session/...ssion=1&request=getBill&doctype=SB&docno=0180

#3 When carrying open or concealed in any private establishment all the owner can do is request you to leave right? They cannot press charges as long as you oblige correct?

That is correct. There is no law that states that a "no guns" sign means anything other than that it is the preference of the owner that you not carry. If they tell you to leave, you must leave or you are trespassing.

Oh, and Welcome to OCDO from South Bend! :D

Last edited: