Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: I am worried about OC, should I do it?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    11

    I am worried about OC, should I do it?

    Finally I found a holster that I will use for my gun.

    However, now that it is becoming a reality to Open carry I am getting really nervous about doing it. My CCW instrutor told me what happens to Open carriers, the cops will all come at you at gun point and you know the rest.

    I have fears of stores kicking me out etc. and being embarrassed while the manager is yelling at me.

    I also read about customers yelling at Open carriers in the store.

    I really want to do it, I moved to vegas temporary and really want the experience before I move to my gun banning state in the north east. My CCW application is a month away also.

    SO how bad will it be when I open carry? I am 30 years old, and will be wearing jeans etc. I will not look like law enforcement or a bounty hunter. I live in North las vegas between boulder highway and Nellis. and will shop around stores there. Lots of mexicans where I live.

    I don't go to many places around here, I shop mostly at walmart neighborhood store for food, also get fruit & vegtibles at an "el super" supermarket because walmart selection sucks. This is bascially a mexican supermarket and they all look at me wierd because I am usually the only white guy in the store. Would you guys open carry in a mexican supermarket?
    I take the occasinal stop at a fast food restaurant.

    What are my odds for confrontation? I will not open carry in places that are known to give you trouble like casinos, DMV, etc.
    Last edited by Las Vegas shooter; 02-18-2012 at 01:03 AM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member ThatOneChick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Side *Represents*, Utah, USA
    Posts
    118
    I'm not in Nevada so, I don't know how it is there. However, I OC 100% of the time and have had civilians and police stop me several times. I'd recommend finding someone to "adopt" you on your first OCing experience. It helps a lot to have someone who's done it and is comfortable with it to be there with you, answer questions, etc.

    If that's not possible then, go to a place that you frequent a lot and know the employees and are on friendly terms with them. In my case, I hang out at diners a lot, it's my quiet time. So, I knew the employees very well and they all knew me. Once I got my permit and started carrying, I went there, hung out for a couple hours, talked with all the employees. It wasn't a big deal to them, they asked a few questions. Me? I was pumped and wanted to brag and talk guns the whole time lol.

    I've had officers approach me and were very friendly and accommodating. I've also had officers scream and freak out on me. I hope you are aware of your rights if you are stopped by an officer. You have the choice to talk up a storm with them or you can refuse to answer any questions (Outside of things that are mandatory. Here, if you're being detained, you have to identify).
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. --Douglas Adams

    Unless cited, any comments are my personal opinion and may not hold any weight or be correct.

  3. #3
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneChick View Post
    I'm not in Nevada so, I don't know how it is there. However, I OC 100% of the time and have had civilians and police stop me several times. I'd recommend finding someone to "adopt" you on your first OCing experience. It helps a lot to have someone who's done it and is comfortable with it to be there with you, answer questions, etc.

    If that's not possible then, go to a place that you frequent a lot and know the employees and are on friendly terms with them. In my case, I hang out at diners a lot, it's my quiet time. So, I knew the employees very well and they all knew me. Once I got my permit and started carrying, I went there, hung out for a couple hours, talked with all the employees. It wasn't a big deal to them, they asked a few questions. Me? I was pumped and wanted to brag and talk guns the whole time lol.

    I've had officers approach me and were very friendly and accommodating. I've also had officers scream and freak out on me. I hope you are aware of your rights if you are stopped by an officer. You have the choice to talk up a storm with them or you can refuse to answer any questions (Outside of things that are mandatory. Here, if you're being detained, you have to identify).
    Actually, I think you only have to VERBALLY IDENTIFY IF it is a LAWFUL detention. I recognize the problems you and I or anyone else would have in determining at the time of occurrence if what was happening was truly "LAWFUL"!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  4. #4
    Regular Member ThatOneChick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Side *Represents*, Utah, USA
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    Actually, I think you only have to VERBALLY IDENTIFY IF it is a LAWFUL detention. I recognize the problems you and I or anyone else would have in determining at the time of occurrence if what was happening was truly "LAWFUL"!
    Well, verbally or DL or whatever, if I'm being detained, I have to identify. Whether it's a lawful detention or not, I can fight that in court. At the time of such a theoretic incident, I'm not going to fight against an officer and be shot/tazed/beaten/whatever. Always, always, always comply with police so if they're in the wrong, you can survive to take them to court.
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. --Douglas Adams

    Unless cited, any comments are my personal opinion and may not hold any weight or be correct.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas NV, ,
    Posts
    1,763
    What ccw instructor told you this? I am serious I would like a name because that person needs to be corrected.
    Last edited by Vegassteve; 02-18-2012 at 05:40 AM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Las Vegas shooter View Post
    Finally I found a holster that I will use for my gun.

    However, now that it is becoming a reality to Open carry I am getting really nervous about doing it. My CCW instrutor told me what happens to Open carriers, the cops will all come at you at gun point and you know the rest.

    I have fears of stores kicking me out etc. and being embarrassed while the manager is yelling at me.

    I also read about customers yelling at Open carriers in the store.

    I really want to do it, I moved to vegas temporary and really want the experience before I move to my gun banning state in the north east. My CCW application is a month away also.

    SO how bad will it be when I open carry? I am 30 years old, and will be wearing jeans etc. I will not look like law enforcement or a bounty hunter. I live in North las vegas between boulder highway and Nellis. and will shop around stores there. Lots of mexicans where I live.

    I don't go to many places around here, I shop mostly at walmart neighborhood store for food, also get fruit & vegtibles at an "el super" supermarket because walmart selection sucks. This is bascially a mexican supermarket and they all look at me wierd because I am usually the only white guy in the store. Would you guys open carry in a mexican supermarket?
    I take the occasinal stop at a fast food restaurant.

    What are my odds for confrontation? I will not open carry in places that are known to give you trouble like casinos, DMV, etc.

    Truthfully your odds of conffontation are pretty low as long as you simply go about your business with a confident air. Notice I did not say Cocky attitude.

    The chance of being confronted by a cop, unless there is some reason other than the gun, is very low.

    I shop in a local Mex grocery all the time. Never a word or sideways glance.

    I don't think you will have any problem at the DMV now either. In fact, you might even get expedited service (don't count on it).

    Make sure you know your rights and what is and is not required of you.

    It still is a good idea to carry a small recorder with you. I think that is a good idea these days even if you are not packin'.

    TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  7. #7
    28kfps
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Las Vegas shooter View Post
    Finally I found a holster that I will use for my gun.

    However, now that it is becoming a reality to Open carry I am getting really nervous about doing it. My CCW instrutor told me what happens to Open carriers, the cops will all come at you at gun point and you know the rest.

    I have fears of stores kicking me out etc. and being embarrassed while the manager is yelling at me.

    I also read about customers yelling at Open carriers in the store.

    I really want to do it, I moved to vegas temporary and really want the experience before I move to my gun banning state in the north east. My CCW application is a month away also.

    SO how bad will it be when I open carry? I am 30 years old, and will be wearing jeans etc. I will not look like law enforcement or a bounty hunter. I live in North las vegas between boulder highway and Nellis. and will shop around stores there. Lots of mexicans where I live.


    I don't go to many places around here, I shop mostly at walmart neighborhood store for food, also get fruit & vegtibles at an "el super" supermarket because walmart selection sucks. This is bascially a mexican supermarket and they all look at me wierd because I am usually the only white guy in the store. Would you guys open carry in a mexican supermarket?
    I take the occasinal stop at a fast food restaurant.

    What are my odds for confrontation? I will not open carry in places that are known to give you trouble like casinos, DMV, etc.
    Read the postings on where did you OC and how did it go. I carry 99% of the time all over Las Vegas, some in AZ and Utah, Lake Mead, The strip, and Fremont. Law enforcement confrontation is unlikely. It has been 2 years for me and has not happened to me as of yet however do to reading a boatload of Info from knowledgeable OCers on this web site, I believe I will be able to handle it and go home without much of an issue.
    Meet up with some of us a PTs 6:00 pm this evening for dinner, look at the Dinner at PTs posting for info
    Last edited by 28kfps; 02-20-2012 at 02:43 PM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Remmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    Read the posting on where did you OC and how did it go. I carry 99% of the time all over Las Vegas, some in AZ and Utah, Lake Mead, The strip, and Fremont. Law enforcement confrontation is unlikely. It has been 2 years for me and has not happened to me as of yet however do to reading a boatload of Info from knowledgeable OCers on this web site, I believe I will be able to handle it and go home without much of an issue.
    Meet up with some of us a PTs 6:00 pm this evening for dinner, look at the Dinner at PTs posting for info
    http://forums.opencarry.org/forums/s...Dinner-at-PT-s

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Las Vegas shooter View Post
    ... My CCW instrutor told me what happens to Open carriers, the cops will all come at you at gun point and you know the rest.....
    Well, you guys can rest easy that it wasn't me!
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Las Vegas shooter View Post
    ... I live in North las vegas between boulder highway and Nellis....
    I don't think you live in North Las Vegas. What you describe sounds more like unincorporated Clark County, but possible the city of Las Vegas, depending on exactly where.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I don't think you live in North Las Vegas. What you describe sounds more like unincorporated Clark County, but possible the city of Las Vegas, depending on exactly where.
    Your right, I think I am in sunrise manor. The southern part of it.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Las Vegas shooter View Post
    My CCW instrutor told me what happens to Open carriers, the cops will all come at you at gun point and you know the rest.
    You went to The Gun Store, didn't you . . ?

    Go ahead and carry. If the weather is nice, carry openly, if not, carry concealed.

    Go through the various topics on this forum and you will learn a lot more about it than your idiot instructor knows.
    Last edited by DVC; 02-20-2012 at 11:17 AM.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Vegas
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC View Post
    You went to The Gun Store, didn't you . . ?

    Go ahead and carry. If the weather is nice, carry openly, if not, carry concealed.

    Go through the various topics on this forum and you will learn a lot more about it than your idiot instructor knows.
    Exactly my thoughts. At that course someone asked about the legality of OC, and the instructor was saying you would have your face on hot concrete in the middle of the summer, blah blah blah. "Is open carry legal? No. It's just not illegal." He didn't like me very much when I told the whole class that I had been OC every time I had left the house since I had moved here a year ago, even on the strip and in strip casinos, and had never once been stopped by an officer or asked to leave.

  14. #14
    28kfps
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowed_stranger View Post
    Exactly my thoughts. At that course someone asked about the legality of OC, and the instructor was saying you would have your face on hot concrete in the middle of the summer, blah blah blah. "Is open carry legal? No. It's just not illegal." He didn't like me very much when I told the whole class that I had been OC every time I had left the house since I had moved here a year ago, even on the strip and in strip casinos, and had never once been stopped by an officer or asked to leave.
    I guess this really does not need to be answered however, he did in fact tell those in a class open carry is NOT legal? How along ago? How many in the class that may have heard his incorrect answer? Did he correct the statement after you told him of your OC experience?

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Vegas
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    I guess this really does not need to be answered however, he did in fact tell those in a class open carry is NOT legal? How along ago? How many in the class that may have heard his incorrect answer? Did he correct the statement after you told him of your OC experience?
    This was a few months ago. I summed it up how I felt best described it, but what happened was, when someone in the class asked if open carry was legal, he asked the class if it was legal. Most said yes. He then said that 'it's not legal OR illegal. There is no law saying you can do it, but there is no law saying you can't.' He has apparently never heard of the 10th amendment. He then went on to say that Arizona has an open carry law, so the 911 dispatchers ignore calls about OC, but here they will have you face down on the concrete at gunpoint in 100+ degree weather while they verify that you are good to go. I then mentioned to the class that I had been open carrying every time I had left the house for the last year, and he gave me a really dirty look and changed the subject.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas NV, ,
    Posts
    1,763
    I have repeatedly emailed and spoke dace to face with bob Irwin the gun store owner about this. He assures me his instructors never do this, yet I have witnessed it myself and people I trust have as well. Bob is on the nvfac board and he continues to let this happen.

  17. #17
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,713
    How bad will it be? Well, most people won't care about your gun and you can probably just act like normal most of the time.

    That said, I feel that the chance of a confrontation by police is significant. I think it is quite unlikely on any given day, but you have to be prepared for it. Being held at gunpoint is also possible.

    However, assuming you are following all the laws, any detainment will only be a minor inconvenience and you will probably be on with your life after 5 minutes to an hour of dealing with officers who are ignorant or who simply don't like the idea of anyone other than themselves having guns.

    I've been detained a few times but this was over the course of a few years of open carry in just about every place it is legal. Also, I'm several years younger than you, and at the wide end of the state. Also, people often give me funny looks even when I'm not armed. So chances are, you will have better luck than I.

    As for the Mexican supermarket, I'd open carry there.

    As with any private establishment, there is a chance that the management will tell you they do not allow open carry. Be prepared for that too. But I wouldn't call anyone up and ask them ahead of time. Most places don't have a policy and have never considered the issue. If you call and ask the manager, you are basically pressuring him to create a policy on the spot and he might decide no guns are allowed, whereas the same manager may see you face to face and not think twice about the gun on your side. Most places don't have a problem with open carry, but some places do. Usually in the case where guns are not allowed, someone will approach you and politely tell you not to bring your gun next time, or tell you that you have to secure the firearm if you wish to continue shopping. I've never had a customer yell at me. I've never had a manager yell at me.

    I prefer to take my business where they want my money. If a business is telling me I can't bring my firearm, they clearly do not want my money.

    I have got a lot of compliments from customers and managers, and general questions about the laws and my reasoning for carrying.
    Last edited by Felid`Maximus; 02-21-2012 at 05:41 AM.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegassteve View Post
    I have repeatedly emailed and spoke dace to face with bob Irwin the gun store owner about this. He assures me his instructors never do this, yet I have witnessed it myself and people I trust have as well. Bob is on the nvfac board and he continues to let this happen.
    Yeah they surely do scare the **** out of you to open carry at the gun store. I planned on open carrying for sure until I took the class. The class scared me after he told me the stores about the cops detaining you etc. Being that the guy was an ex-cop in Las Vegas, I figured he would know ebtter.

    After the good scaring I got brave again, so I will try it out as soon as I get my holster.

    BTW. if the cops stop me is it best to give them all my information if they ask? I know you don't legally have to, but what do you guys do?

  19. #19
    28kfps
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Las Vegas shooter View Post
    Yeah they surely do scare the **** out of you to open carry at the gun store. I planned on open carrying for sure until I took the class. The class scared me after he told me the stores about the cops detaining you etc. Being that the guy was an ex-cop in Las Vegas, I figured he would know ebtter.

    After the good scaring I got brave again, so I will try it out as soon as I get my holster.

    BTW. if the cops stop me is it best to give them all my information if they ask? I know you don't legally have to, but what do you guys do?
    My two cents is there are many variables that will dictate what the best action at the time is. Others probably will reply with some basics. I suggest read the sticky where did you carry and how did it go. Also, look though past postings of confrontations. Each one different each one has something to learn from. I have been lucky for the past two years open carrying every I go in Las Vegas and no confrontations however politely asked to leave two different times. No data that I know of however it would appear the younger the OCer is the more likely of a LEO confrontation.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Las Vegas shooter View Post
    Yeah they surely do scare the **** out of you to open carry at the gun store. I planned on open carrying for sure until I took the class. The class scared me after he told me the stores about the cops detaining you etc. Being that the guy was an ex-cop in Las Vegas, I figured he would know ebtter.

    After the good scaring I got brave again, so I will try it out as soon as I get my holster.

    BTW. if the cops stop me is it best to give them all my information if they ask? I know you don't legally have to, but what do you guys do?
    That should have told a different story than what you feel you heard.

    The story appears to be, he is teaching an agenda.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  21. #21
    Regular Member franco0341's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    40

    The 2nd amendment...

    I apologize ahead of time if it seems like a rant...when you type in www.opencarry.org you see the headline, "A right unexercised is a right lost."

    I was a little weary at first to open carry but since I've done it now a good month, I've had no incidents or confrontations, it's gotten 'easier' every time. (I was asked to leave my gun in my vehicle at the Sahara/Ft. Apache BofA branch politely, I didn't have time to argue with her so I complied). I feel that we can educate the public that it is legal to Open Carry in Nevada and that no one should be alarmed with law-abiding citizens exercising their 2nd amendment rights. Keep in mind, we've somewhat lost our 4th amendment via the 'PATRIOT' act and our 5th and 6th recently through the NDAA signing on New Year's Eve when everyone was out partying and not paying attention to the news. We are lucky to live in a state that still values the 2nd amendment to a good extent. As far as a CCW goes, I don't want to get one because money and time are at a premium for me. Not to mention, attempting to conceal my full sized 1911 might look like I have a tumor and would be uncomfortable. I also agree with the deterrent argument that a criminal might think twice about robbing a place if he saw there was an armed citizen in there, better to prevent a situation in my book. Those are my $.02

  22. #22
    Activist Member swinokur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Montgomery County, MD
    Posts
    984
    ask the guys on

    www.nevadashooters.com

    they can give you the current situation. I understand it's improved after a member there filed a complaint with Metro (Tim)
    Last edited by swinokur; 02-22-2012 at 12:55 PM.

  23. #23
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by franco0341 View Post
    ...I was a little weary at first to open carry but since I've done it now a good month, I've had no incidents or confrontations, it's gotten 'easier' every time. (I was asked to leave my gun in my vehicle at the Sahara/Ft. Apache BofA branch politely, I didn't have time to argue with her so I complied).

    ...As far as a CCW goes, I don't want to get one because money and time are at a premium for me. Not to mention, attempting to conceal my full sized 1911 might look like I have a tumor and would be uncomfortable...
    Welcome! You'll find several of us at the Nevada Shooters forum, as well.

    Keep in mind, we don't want to "argue" with representatives of private property. We do not have a Right to carry in their store. In time, we are making it more normal to open carry, and stores are warming up to us not being an issue. If possible, you can return (unarmed) and close your account, telling them why. I bank at Wells Fargo and Chase. Neither of my branches have a problem with it. I've had the manager of Chase personally welcome me and ask about guns (this is where my business banks, so he knew I'd be the guy to ask!) He's from another state (Chase only opened branches in NV a couple of years ago) and had lots of questions.

    If time is your most important criteria, E-mail me about a CCW class on your own schedule. If you host, and bring a few paying friends or coworkers, I'll hook you up on a private CCW class. While I'm an advocate of open carry, the state's permission slip is good to have when you need options.

    I routinely carry a 1911, sometimes open, sometimes concealed. It's all about the holster. That said, there are easier choices for concealed and accessible.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  24. #24
    Regular Member yotetrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern Nevada
    Posts
    74
    I've OCed in almost every branch of BofA here in Reno and never had an issue. I did get a long stair from the armed guard at the Mill/395 branch but I just replied with a "hows it going" and a smile and the manager at the Prater/McCarren branch made an effort to maintain a conversation with me the entire time I was in line. I think if you were to go back unarmed and converse with the manager you could get it straightened out.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas NV, ,
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    ask the guys on

    www.nevadashooters.com

    they can give you the current situation. I understand it's improved after a member there filed a complaint with Metro (Tim)
    No Tim and his story are on here. NS is not as OC friendly as well OC.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •