• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I am worried about OC, should I do it?

franco0341

The 2nd amendment...

I apologize ahead of time if it seems like a rant...when you type in www.opencarry.org you see the headline, "A right unexercised is a right lost."

I was a little weary at first to open carry but since I've done it now a good month, I've had no incidents or confrontations, it's gotten 'easier' every time. (I was asked to leave my gun in my vehicle at the Sahara/Ft. Apache BofA branch politely, I didn't have time to argue with her so I complied). I feel that we can educate the public that it is legal to Open Carry in Nevada and that no one should be alarmed with law-abiding citizens exercising their 2nd amendment rights. Keep in mind, we've somewhat lost our 4th amendment via the 'PATRIOT' act and our 5th and 6th recently through the NDAA signing on New Year's Eve when everyone was out partying and not paying attention to the news. We are lucky to live in a state that still values the 2nd amendment to a good extent. As far as a CCW goes, I don't want to get one because money and time are at a premium for me. Not to mention, attempting to conceal my full sized 1911 might look like I have a tumor and would be uncomfortable. I also agree with the deterrent argument that a criminal might think twice about robbing a place if he saw there was an armed citizen in there, better to prevent a situation in my book. Those are my $.02

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I was a little weary at first to open carry but since I've done it now a good month, I've had no incidents or confrontations, it's gotten 'easier' every time. (I was asked to leave my gun in my vehicle at the Sahara/Ft. Apache BofA branch politely, I didn't have time to argue with her so I complied).

...As far as a CCW goes, I don't want to get one because money and time are at a premium for me. Not to mention, attempting to conceal my full sized 1911 might look like I have a tumor and would be uncomfortable...

Welcome! You'll find several of us at the Nevada Shooters forum, as well.

Keep in mind, we don't want to "argue" with representatives of private property. We do not have a Right to carry in their store. In time, we are making it more normal to open carry, and stores are warming up to us not being an issue. If possible, you can return (unarmed) and close your account, telling them why. I bank at Wells Fargo and Chase. Neither of my branches have a problem with it. I've had the manager of Chase personally welcome me and ask about guns (this is where my business banks, so he knew I'd be the guy to ask!) He's from another state (Chase only opened branches in NV a couple of years ago) and had lots of questions.

If time is your most important criteria, E-mail me about a CCW class on your own schedule. If you host, and bring a few paying friends or coworkers, I'll hook you up on a private CCW class. While I'm an advocate of open carry, the state's permission slip is good to have when you need options.

I routinely carry a 1911, sometimes open, sometimes concealed. It's all about the holster. That said, there are easier choices for concealed and accessible.

yotetrapper

I've OCed in almost every branch of BofA here in Reno and never had an issue. I did get a long stair from the armed guard at the Mill/395 branch but I just replied with a "hows it going" and a smile and the manager at the Prater/McCarren branch made an effort to maintain a conversation with me the entire time I was in line. I think if you were to go back unarmed and converse with the manager you could get it straightened out.

franco0341

If time is your most important criteria, E-mail me about a CCW class on your own schedule. If you host, and bring a few paying friends or coworkers, I'll hook you up on a private CCW class. While I'm an advocate of open carry, the state's permission slip is good to have when you need options.

I routinely carry a 1911, sometimes open, sometimes concealed. It's all about the holster. That said, there are easier choices for concealed and accessible.

I appreciate the offer and I'll consider it for the future. Right now I don't have a spare $110 + whatever a class might cost (heard $90+).

DooFster

Yeah they surely do scare the **** out of you to open carry at the gun store. I planned on open carrying for sure until I took the class. The class scared me after he told me the stores about the cops detaining you etc. Being that the guy was an ex-cop in Las Vegas, I figured he would know ebtter.

After the good scaring I got brave again, so I will try it out as soon as I get my holster.

BTW. if the cops stop me is it best to give them all my information if they ask? I know you don't legally have to, but what do you guys do?

This is really interesting because I have carried openly BOTH times I've been to The Gun Store and both times I've had no issues. In fact they encouraged me to do it. There was a store rep outside signing people up for shooting and he asked me if I was using my gun for shooting and asked if I was loaded. I told him I wasn't shooting but was loaded. "OK...sounds good... Have a nice day and thanks for coming! The store is right through that door..."

The Big Guy

Maybe as they have taken so much flak over the issue they've changed their ways? We can only hope. Next time I'm over that way I'll give it a go and see what happens.

TBG

28kfps

I was in the gun store over two years ago. Wanted to shoot in the range. I was told that I had to empty my firearm before coming in and could not reload it until I left. I have not been back since.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
It is one of the closest gun shops to where I live, and I'm sorry I still have no desire to go there and find out. I've PERSONALLY never liked the place. They do have one exceptional employee/instructor there, though.

I'm actually glad it exists. It is great for tourists and free CCW classes if you don't mind getting what you pay for.

Last edited:

The Big Guy

I was in the gun store over two years ago. Wanted to shoot in the range. I was told that I had to empty my firearm before coming in and could not reload it until I left. I have not been back since.

Hmmmm! They require you to unload at their front door and reload at their front door on the way out. Some sharp mouthpiece would have a heyday with that should ones firearm discharge and hit someone. I think they would zero right in on that policy.

TBG

28kfps

Hmmmm! They require you to unload at their front door and reload at their front door on the way out. Some sharp mouthpiece would have a heyday with that should ones firearm discharge and hit someone. I think they would zero right in on that policy.

TBG

Though it was over two years ago and I do not remember some of the details, I can say they did not use those words unload and reload at the front door.