• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry, of any kind, At the Airport...

40s-and-wfan

What is the official word regarding this? I have a friend who will be deploying shortly and it would be fun for my wife and I to go and see him off. What are the restrictions as far as carrying at the airport? I carry damn near EVERYWHERE, but I want to make sure it's okay and I'm legal, as long as I don't go beyond the secured areas!!

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
What is the official word regarding this? I have a friend who will be deploying shortly and it would be fun for my wife and I to go and see him off. What are the restrictions as far as carrying at the airport? I carry damn near EVERYWHERE, but I want to make sure it's okay and I'm legal, as long as I don't go beyond the secured areas!!

MCA 45-8-351 outlines preemption including the airport. As in most states you are ok to open carry in non restricted locations of an airport.

T

TWG2A

OC No problem at Gallatin

I, and my Friends, have never had a problem OC at Gallatin Field airport, as long as we're outside of security gates.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I, and my Friends, have never had a problem OC at Gallatin Field airport, as long as we're outside of security gates.

Correct TWG2A, when we visited in October I carried at the airport. When we deplaned and went to baggage claim, I loaded my firearm (discreetly in my bag, re-holstered and went to car rental without any issue.

DWCook

Activist Member
I'm too paranoid about carrying in an airport. Even if I was told that its perfectly legal at my local airport, I would still feel a bit worried. Not saying I wouldn't try it, but last thing I want is Department of Homeland Security police officers running after me at full force! :) :) :) :)

DWCook

Activist Member
Just called my local Airport (Kansas City International Airport), they don't allow any weapons inside the buildings of the Airport. Not even outside the security gates, so its no go for my local airport to allow it. This goes for concealed carry also, so pretty much have to leave the firearm in the car or not bring it at all.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Just called my local Airport (Kansas City International Airport), they don't allow any weapons inside the buildings of the Airport. Not even outside the security gates, so its no go for my local airport to allow it. This goes for concealed carry also, so pretty much have to leave the firearm in the car or not bring it at all.

DWCook, I believe they have mistaken. Carry at Kansas City International Airport which is owned by the City of Kansas City and located in Missouri is regulated by state law.

State law restricted areas as defined in MRS 571.107 consists of:
MRS 571.107 said:
No driver's license or nondriver's license containing a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a concealed carry endorsement or permit issued by another state or political subdivision of another state shall authorize any person to carry concealed firearms into:

(8) Any area of an airport to which access is controlled by the inspection of persons and property. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of the airport shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

(9) Any place where the carrying of a firearm is prohibited by federal law;

-Plus-

The airport map on Open Carry Dot Org shows MO as Airport carry OK.

-Plus-

Handgun Law shows airport carry is OK outside of restricted areas.

Unfortunately, I suspect that you have fallen victim of someone that is probably told to say no weapons allowed even though by law they are. I am not a lawyer, so please verify all facts independently.

Looking at information I have found, I would without hesitation fly to and carry at the Kansas City International Airport. Of course, I would likely post in the MO sub-forum so I could get an understand from people to live and know the law of MO. I would suggest you bring this up in that forum as well to confirm my post.

Last edited:
T

TWG2A

Looks like airport workers are attempting to interpret the laws of this land.

That is unacceptable. Please force them to admit they are wrong by showing them the facts.

kcgunfan

Who told you that? What policy, rule or law was the basis for that opinion? What authority exists to make that policy, rule or law valid?

The gun laws are a little muddled in MO. I would guess that the Airport is relying on this state law:

RSMo 571.107.1.(6)

(6) The general assembly, supreme court, county or municipality may by rule, administrative regulation, or ordinance prohibit or limit the carrying of concealed firearms by endorsement holders in that portion of a building owned, leased or controlled by that unit of government. Any portion of a building in which the carrying of concealed firearms is prohibited or limited shall be clearly identified by signs posted at the entrance to the restricted area. The statute, rule or ordinance shall exempt any building used for public housing by private persons, highways or rest areas, firing ranges, and private dwellings owned, leased, or controlled by that unit of government from any restriction on the carrying or possession of a firearm. The statute, rule or ordinance shall not specify any criminal penalty for its violation but may specify that persons violating the statute, rule or ordinance may be denied entrance to the building, ordered to leave the building and if employees of the unit of government, be subjected to disciplinary measures for violation of the provisions of the statute, rule or ordinance. The provisions of this subdivision shall not apply to any other unit of government;

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c500-599/5710000107.htm

This may or may not apply to open carrying. It's not been tried as far as I know, and I'm not willing to be a test case, even though I have my CCW endorsement.

Edit: the gun laws are muddled in MO, not KCMO, KCMO is perfectly clear with respect to their laws.

Last edited:

kcgunfan

The statute you quoted says nothing concerning OC. Are the laws in MO so "muddled" that words can be inserted into them at any time? If so, who gets to do the inserting? Why are you not willing to be a test case? There is no penalty except denial of entry. How will anyone know what is possible without someone testing it?

Again, I'm only speculating. That's really the best fit. Why am I not willing to be a test case? Simply put, I am a widower with 2 small children. I take my 2A rights seriously, but not as seriously as raising my children.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk