Thread: Primary Income of a Business

Primary Income of a Business

My google foo is weak at best, so I'm posting this for someone with better skills than I to confirm this info I was given.

Issue: Continued discussion of what the primary income of any business is. Over 50 percent is consistently referred to. Even though there is no printed statute with a percentage cited in it.

Background: A relative had a conversation about opening a "bar & grill" with a business attorney. He told him to open it as a "grill & bar" instead.

Explanation of reasoning: On the business license application it is required you state what your "primary" sales and income will be derived from?
    Your "primary" sales will be listed "first" in the name of your business license.
    i.e. ; Bar & Grill; primary is bar liquor sales.
    Grill & Bar: primary is grilled food

The attorney also told him it makes a difference with your liability insurance as to what your "primary" sales will be. A bar has a higher liability rate than a grill.

Summation: Would it be feasible to look at the business license of any business in question and see what the "primary" source is listed as?
    Would this be a valid defense if it were challenged?

Can anyone provide me with some "facts" regarding this info?

Thank You
    JB

Banned
    "facts" no, but I think youre on to something.

I would look at this from an accountants or a tax collectors point of view.

This is the only site I know of:

http://www2.dleg.state.mi.us/llist/

It provides business name & ID, type of license(s), violations, and YTD purchases.

How does the liability insurance play out for establishments that do not have Bar & Grill in the name? e.g. Modoggies, Down The Hatch, Nathan J's, etc?

The business name doesn't come into play.
    It has to do with "what" your business is selling as your primary sales for requesting your type of business license.
    The liability requirements are higher on a "bar" than a restaurant that sells alcohol.

I had this discussion about a year ago over on MGO in regards to a certain restaurant in Downtown Rochester. its a very big grey area, I just took the chance and concealed.
    -NRA Member, GSSF Member, GeorgiaCarry Member, Glock Certified Armorer, Glock 30SF, STI Elektra, M&P9c, NAA Black Widow .22 WMR
    -“I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.”—Mahatma Ghandhi