• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kevin Bellingham Wal-mart anti gun

sudden valley gunner

Was there with the woman yesterday about 1/2 way through our shopping approached by Kevin and told he is the Manager and he doesn't allow guns in his store unless its uniformed police officers.

Told him the previous manager Terry had told me it's corporate policy to follow state law.

He said it is not he has discretion and he won't allow it. He is from Oregon and if Washington law is different than he'll amend the policy but he won't allow it.

He told me it is making people uncomfortable. I asked him if he is willing to loose a long time customer over a few complaints, he just shrugged. I have a feeling it was a previous employee taking advantage of the fact of having a new manager to change Terry's previous policy.

I was going to go buy the items with the wife and then she said no let's just go to Fred Meyer's instead. So I pushed the cart over to Keven who was talking to the employee's I think complained to him, and said we will not be buying our items here today, and he may want to find someone to return the items. I asked him for a card, he said all I have to know is he is Kevin the store manager.

I left. I wasn't on my best game yesterday being in a lot of pain and really not wanting to deal with people very much. So I may have been a little more succinct than I normally am.

Went to Freddy's no problem and the store manager actually passed me by and smiled on his way to another errand.

Mainsail

You did as much as you should have done. This was exactly what happened to me in Lakewood a few years ago. Contact Regional in Puyalup and let them know what happened. Tell them you were publicly humiliated by a manager who doesn't know corporate policy.

WinchesterModel12

Joe McQueen - Walmart marketing Office: 757-471-1651

Don Roseborough - Walmart Regional manager: 360-657-1192 (Washington)

Walmart Security Chief: 253-7704399 (Puyallup)

Walmart Regional marketing Office - Corey Confer or Robert Reck 570-821-6180

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Thanks WinchesterModel12. I attended the regularly scheduled Starbucks meeting of the Whatcom county chapter of OCDO this morning. Three of us. Two male one female. We discussed quite an array of topics to include the walmart thing. After we dispersed, I thought I would stop by and shop.

Got to WM and checked for new signs. Nada. Went in, got greeted and a big smile. Walked around shopping the usual areas before heading to sporting goods. Looked over the ammunition with another customer, he asked if I "shot" very often. The WM guy was very polite and even looked extra hard for additional 9mm for me. We completed the purchase and I continued to shop a bit. No worries, same as always at Wmart.

Lovenox

You did as much as you should have done. This was exactly what happened to me in Lakewood a few years ago. Contact Regional in Puyalup and let them know what happened. Tell them you were publicly humiliated by a manager who doesn't know corporate policy.

What was the outcome in your case?

Lovenox

Was there with the woman yesterday about 1/2 way through our shopping approached by Kevin and told he is the Manager and he doesn't allow guns in his store unless its uniformed police officers.

Told him the previous manager Terry had told me it's corporate policy to follow state law.

He said it is not he has discretion and he won't allow it. He is from Oregon and if Washington law is different than he'll amend the policy but he won't allow it.

He told me it is making people uncomfortable. I asked him if he is willing to loose a long time customer over a few complaints, he just shrugged. I have a feeling it was a previous employee taking advantage of the fact of having a new manager to change Terry's previous policy.

I was going to go buy the items with the wife and then she said no let's just go to Fred Meyer's instead. So I pushed the cart over to Keven who was talking to the employee's I think complained to him, and said we will not be buying our items here today, and he may want to find someone to return the items. I asked him for a card, he said all I have to know is he is Kevin the store manager.

I left. I wasn't on my best game yesterday being in a lot of pain and really not wanting to deal with people very much. So I may have been a little more succinct than I normally am.

Went to Freddy's no problem and the store manager actually passed me by and smiled on his way to another errand.

I'm a little confused, SVG. The former manager, Terry, was he making up his own policies? The way it's worded it's like it's a franchise and Terry made his own policies independent of the corporate policy and currently employees were trying to influence the new manager. PLease clarify and please keep us posted. BTW did you record? Just wondering.

RedRuger

Manager Contact Information

The Walmarts i have been in have a sign just inside each door providing customers with the name and contact information for the store manager. You might want to check and see if this matches what he told you. After you have contacted Walmart corporate you should leave a PLEASANT message on the managers phone saying that you have contacted Walmart corporate about his conduct and tell him what their response was.

amlevin

it's corporate policy to follow state law.

State Law doesn't prevent OC----But it doesn't force them to allow it either. Any way you slice it the store is private property and the Manager has discretion.

If you choose not to shop there that's fine. Just remember, Wal-Mart earned $5 Billion in 2011 which was up over 4% from the previous year. The loss of your business doesn't even register on a calculator as there aren't enough places to the right of the decimal point.

sudden valley gunner

I'm a little confused, SVG. The former manager, Terry, was he making up his own policies? The way it's worded it's like it's a franchise and Terry made his own policies independent of the corporate policy and currently employees were trying to influence the new manager. PLease clarify and please keep us posted. BTW did you record? Just wondering.

Well when I was to leave a few years ago, by a guy named Mike who got in trouble for pretending to be the manager, Terry called me after my e-mail and told me it is corporate policy to follow state law and that Wal-mart is pro 2nd amendment. I asked if there was paper work for that he said nope just carry the constitution with me and if I had any problem in Washington to call him and let him know. Well he isn't there now.

State Law doesn't prevent OC----But it doesn't force them to allow it either. Any way you slice it the store is private property and the Manager has discretion.

If you choose not to shop there that's fine. Just remember, Wal-Mart earned $5 Billion in 2011 which was up over 4% from the previous year. The loss of your business doesn't even register on a calculator as there aren't enough places to the right of the decimal point.

I know they can do what ever they want on the spot, and that a few of us not going there might not make a difference in their bottom line, especially here in B'ham were sometimes the majority of the cars in the parking lot have Canadian license plates.

A win is a win though I'd rather they follow a policy similar to Starbucks and maybe loose a few anti gun customers either way would be negligible in their profits, maybe like Starbucks increase the profits when they take a neutral stance.

Last edited:

jbone

I guess so!

Be careful of attack from hardliners. They will not understand, and may rip you a new one for not standing your ground. To them there is no viable excuse for not standing your ground with that manager, giving up and walking away regardless of how you felt that day was a blatant desertion of freedom, you rolled over to the liberal because he said BOO! After all, your post fails to mention you being asked to leave.

You know I’m just funnin with you Rob :D, why, because I understand there are situations that do allow for personal choice, and hard line does not need to apply in every situation. Good on you for making a decision and standing by it, even though you felt bad about it.

But, I see some of the hardliners aren't ripping you like the OP in another thread for making a choice. Too bad some folks some don't give the same courtesy across the board. I mean this guy stayed armed, you left without being asked, and they're licking :p your backside. :lol:
//forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?99888-approached-in-spokane-mcdonalds-playland-right-action-for-the-circumstances

Crazy how forum participants forget themselves

sudden valley gunner

Cassy Smith is not in but is the next in line up the chain from Kevin. Her assistant told me they will call back and that they will try to square Kevin away on state law.( that number is 509-663-9518) I will wait a few days and then call Kevin (different Kevin) the Regional manager (425-207-0801).

Jeff Hayes

I guess so!

Be careful of attack from hardliners. They will not understand, and may rip you a new one for not standing your ground. To them there is no viable excuse for not standing your ground with that manager, giving up and walking away regardless of how you felt that day was a blatant desertion of freedom, you rolled over to the liberal because he said BOO! After all, your post fails to mention you being asked to leave.

You know I’m just funnin with you Rob :D, why, because I understand there are situations that do allow for personal choice, and hard line does not need to apply in every situation. Good on you for making a decision and standing by it, even though you felt bad about it.

But, I see some of the hardliners aren't ripping you like the OP in another thread for making a choice. Too bad some folks some don't give the same courtesy across the board. I mean this guy stayed armed, you left without being asked, and they're licking :p your backside. :lol:
//forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?99888-approached-in-spokane-mcdonalds-playland-right-action-for-the-circumstances

Crazy how forum participants forget themselves

Jbone I don't see hardliners ripping the OP in the other thread. Most of us, I am assuming you think of me as one of the hardliners, have said we would not have covered but support the decision of the OP to cover up, like I said its his business not mine and I was not there.

What I do see is a great discussion about the incident, isn't that what this forum is about? Not everyone will handle any given situation the same way in this case there are an infinite number of ways it could be handled. Just because someone expresses their opinion does not mean they are ripping the OP, its just an opinion.

It appears that you may have some personal problems with certain individuals, please take it to PM if this is the case.

jbone

While just my observation, and not to be taken as an attack or insult by some thinner skinned members, I was just pointing out the double standard hard liners willfully display and tactlessly deny. Again, it’s just my observation.

It appears that you may have some personal problems with certain individuals, please take it to PM if this is the case.

You appear have me at a disadvantage, what in gods name are you talking about?

Last edited:

o2ryan

While just my observation, and not to be taken as an attack or insult by some thinner skinned members, I was just pointing out the double standard hard liners willfully display and tactlessly deny. Again, it’s just my observation.

You appear have me at a disadvantage, what in gods name are you talking about?

What I believe Orphan is talking about is the apparent fact that you have formed some opinions about some members based on their responses to the another topic and are attempting to ever so subtly call them out for it on this topic. He is simply suggesting that if you do have issues with specific members about how they responded, that you address it privately in a PM versus publicly in this forum. I think this would be a much more civil forum if more would address issues this way.

That being said, I should follow my own advice and send this to jbone in a PM if it were not for the ounce of value I think this conversation has for the group.

SVG, thanks for the thread and for keeping us posted on the outcome. Examples like this will help others when faced with the same issue.