• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Poll finds most back status quo - Richmond Times Dispatch

Repeater

Fundamental rights trump majority rule

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/...1-poll-finds-most-back-status-quo-ar-1700089/

I've said before, trying to repeal the one-gun-a-month law was going to be nothing but pad p.r.

Meanwhile most gun owners are disarmed everyday while they drive to and from work.

Makes no sense to me.

West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette
The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts. One's right to life, liberty, and property, to free speech, a free press, freedom of worship and assembly, and other fundamental rights may not be submitted to vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
One-gun-a-month is an infringement. Public opinion has no place on the scales of justice when a fundamental right is on the other side of the scale.

One-gun-a-month should never have been a law. The easy fix to "bad PR" is to represent the move for what it is--correcting an error.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
One-gun-a-month is an infringement. Public opinion has no place on the scales of justice when a fundamental right is on the other side of the scale.

One-gun-a-month should never have been a law. The easy fix to "bad PR" is to represent the move for what it is--correcting an error.

I understand now. Repealing one-gun-a-month should not have been a priority just like conceal carry in restaurants should not have been a priority. We overplayed our hand and stuff that should have been passed first has fallen by the wayside. Now we're on the defensive, having to explain over and over again. Meanwhile gun owners names and addresses are being leaked including those that may not want their identity known and gun owners will have to continue to travel to and from work disarmed.

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk, It costs to have principles and not play politics. After all we're dealing with politicians not men of principles.

MamabearCali

Virginians are so opposed to these changes they voted overwhelmingly for people that embody these changes last fall. Polls are easily manipulated, how a question is phrased, who you ask, what time of day you ask, what area of the commonwealth is polled. So unless Virginians are calling their representatives in droves saying "what's going on here!" I don't buy it.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
Virginians are so opposed to these changes they voted overwhelmingly for people that embody these changes last fall. Polls are easily manipulated, how a question is phrased, who you ask, what time of day you ask, what area of the commonwealth is polled. So unless Virginians are calling their representatives in droves saying "what's going on here!" I don't buy it.

You're point is valid. Heck, they probably use landlines.

I look at it like this. A lot of voters are uninformed. They can easily be led by a news article or a facebook post. The abortion thing compounds the problem. Just by reading the article you can see how they have lumped us in there with them. As much as some may or may not like that issue, as gun rights advocates we need to stay the heck away from it. It's just like I said, we overplayed our hand and if one-gun-a-month is repealed hooray, but as Virginians our liberty is still being oppressed and what should be a fundamental right to privacy is a gaping hole.