Thread: WI only recognizes non resident VA CCW

WI only recognizes non resident VA CCW

I was perusing handgun law.us and found this anomaly. WI only recognizes VA non resident permits, not resident permits. The reason given is that only non resident permits are subject to a full NICS check, while only VA databases are checked for resident permits.

I don't know of any other state basing reciprocity on this stipulation.

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/...eciprocity.asp
    Last edited by swinokur; 02-19-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    I was perusing handgun law.us and found this anomaly. WI only recognizes VA non resident permits, not resident permits. The reason given is that only non resident permits are subject to a full NICS check, while only VA databases are checked for resident permits.

I noticed this too the other day and thought it was pretty weird. At least you can OC, although apparently not in a car?
    Last edited by Sangre; 02-19-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sangre View Post
    I noticed this too the other day and thought it was pretty weird. At least you can OC, although apparently not in a car?
    That's my read from the info here on OCDO.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    It has something to do with the background check that Wisconsin requires for reciprocity. The VSP does one check for NR permits and the local checks done for res. permits aren't good enough for Wisconsin.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Yes. Their web site states that because no NICS check is done for resident permits and WI does, they won't honor VA resident permits. Weird. I don't know of any other state doing this.

Moderator / Administrator
    Yes. Their web site states that because no NICS check is done for resident permits and WI does, they won't honor VA resident permits. Weird. I don't know of any other state doing this.
    What makes no sense is that even if non-resident Va. CHP applications go thru as NICS check, failing the NICS check for any federal disability that is NOT also a Va. disability does NOT result in denial of the non-resident CHP!

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Sangre View Post
    WI only recognizes non resident VA CCW
    VA does not issue CCW's
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    It has something to do with the background check that Wisconsin requires for reciprocity. The VSP does one check for NR permits and the local checks done for res. permits aren't good enough for Wisconsin.
    you're slacking Jim, you should be informing people that the Utah permit class you offer will allow those of us who are VA residents to obtain reciprocity lol

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    you're slacking Jim, you should be informing people that the Utah permit class you offer will allow those of us who are VA residents to obtain reciprocity lol
    LOL....well, we do advertise that Wisconsin is one of the states you get with a Utah permit.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Thumbs up VA NOT being a Lautenberg amendement state (that goodness!!!!!!)

Might have something to do with VA NOT being a Lautenberg amendement state (that goodness!!!!!!)
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin