• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Time Open Carry

Detective Daria

Hi all! this is about my first experience open carrying in NC I am from SC and have been up here visiting my brother. I open carried into fastlane a business that works on ford cars. I wasnt wearing my jacket as I was rather hot and had brushed up on laws before coming here( or so I thought I did) so open carry was fine. As I was talking to the clerk a man stated outloud "your carrying a gun" I just looked at him and then went back to talking with the clerk, he then proceeded to say " You need to be carrying concealed" I simply stated " In NC your not required to have it CC" he continued to mutter under his breath saying hes prior law enforcement and I probably dont know what Im talking about. He also inquired probably thinking that I shouldnt have the hammer back on my 1911, I simply explained why it was safer this way then with the hammer down.

I was also open carrying in the hotel I was staying in just found out that was a no no. Wasnt aware of that one but didnt catch any flak from anyone other then the usual stares.

Maybe its just me but I find I get more stares and questions in NC as it being a traditional open carry state then georgia which is not since I open carry there also plenty of time.

bc.cruiser

Welcome, visitor. Sorry your OC experience did not go as it should. We all run into clowns like the guy at the Fastlane--I think you did well there. Apparently, the Ford folks weren't concerned. As far as the hotel was concerned, which hotel was it and what made that a no-no?
Don't give up on us, come on back.

Shimmer

Red Inn suites I was told by the manager there that i wasnt allowed to carry though I didnt see any signs..

Generally speaking, if someone in management tells you that you aren't allowed to openly carry on private property, you are obligated to listen to them, or vacate said property. You can always take it up the chain, but when asked not to carry by someone in management, its always a good idea to comply, or if given a choice, take your business elsewhere.

Detective Daria

I did leave and went to a different hotel, I just wasnt aware of any statue or anything saying I couldnt carry there in the first place. Also ran into crabtree was disappointed they had a tiny sign no concealed carry. Unlike SC where the sign has to be a certain specification for it to be legal.

ArmySoldier22

I did leave and went to a different hotel, I just wasnt aware of any statue or anything saying I couldnt carry there in the first place. Also ran into crabtree was disappointed they had a tiny sign no concealed carry. Unlike SC where the sign has to be a certain specification for it to be legal.

They're supposed to be a certain spec. here as well, but they seldom are. As far as the no concealed carry sign, open carry is still allowed unless they come up to you and tell you otherwise. No concealed means exactly that, no concealed. Even if their intentions are otherwise lol.

rotorhead

They're supposed to be a certain spec. here as well, but they seldom are. As far as the no concealed carry sign, open carry is still allowed unless they come up to you and tell you otherwise. No concealed means exactly that, no concealed. Even if their intentions are otherwise lol.

There is no state-wide guidance concerning signage- meaning they don't have to be a certain spec. The only real legal guidance is that any sign of the nature be placed conspicuously so that customers can see it upon entering the building. A store owner could write "I Don't Want Gunz Here" using a Lite-Brite or spell it out out using dried beans and Elmer's glue if they wanted to. It could be 2" square or a 12 foot diameter orb if so desired.

There could be a giant sign on the door announcing that guns are welcome inside, but if an employee asks you to take it outside, you have to comply. The laws in NC lean heavily on the property rights side when it comes to this stuff. Once you get that much tackled you can get a better grasp of the situation in NC concerning signage and places that allow for carrying and those that don't.

The NC AG's office has a pdf file that you can download which gives a pretty good idea of the do's and dont's of carrying in this state. What it doesn't do is list the specific stores and businesses and their own policies dealing with carrying on their property. For that, you'd either have to watch for signs or contact the store.

Aside from the businesses themselves and their policies, I don't listen to idiots who claim to be ex-law enforcement and then commence to spew their bile concerning their personal feelings about me carrying somewhere. If it's legal and ok with the business, I could care less what Deputy Dawg has to say about it. If the person continues to bother me, I'll call the cops and try to get him nailed on harassment or stalking charges. I don't follow people around and bug them about their choices of self-protection and I'm not going to sit there and listen to some ass-clown tell me about how he thinks I should walk around in life.

F 'em. The best way to know you're right is to know your rights.

Last edited: