• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to website

MainelyGlock

Hey all,
Just wanted to drop in and say hello. Finally decided to register after reading through your site for the last few days. I love it!

Just as some background info, I started open carrying after I was robbed and stabbed last summer. Never thought it would happen, but now i'm sure as hell not going to let it happen again!

I haven't been able to find anything solid so far on this, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Being from Portland, it's VERY hard to find a place to shoot that's not a gun club. I've been to a gravel pit once, in the fall, but the road to the pit has since been closed down. So, does anyone know of any (relatively) close woods/gravel/sand pits where it is legal to shoot, or where the owner does not mind?

Have a good day!

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
welcome to the forum! i'll leave the range directions to someone who is from an area closer to portland! :)

p.s. don't forget to join us on facebook: Gun Owners of Maine!

Last edited:

MainelyGlock

Haha thanks! I'm definitely willing to drive if there's a good spot. I just bought another Glock, and haven't even been able to fire it yet :(

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hey all,
Just wanted to drop in and say hello. Finally decided to register after reading through your site for the last few days. I love it!

Just as some background info, I started open carrying after I was robbed and stabbed last summer. Never thought it would happen, but now i'm sure as hell not going to let it happen again!

I haven't been able to find anything solid so far on this, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Being from Portland, it's VERY hard to find a place to shoot that's not a gun club. I've been to a gravel pit once, in the fall, but the road to the pit has since been closed down. So, does anyone know of any (relatively) close woods/gravel/sand pits where it is legal to shoot, or where the owner does not mind?

Have a good day!

Cite requested - Please provide confirmation (i.e. police report) on this incident for the edification of our readership.
There are entirely too many such claims to be accepted merely on the claim of such and this verification will speak to your veracity.

Your posts within the last 2 days indicate that you have just purchased/acquired a Taurus PT709 + a Glock 22 + a SR40 & LC9 w/laser and have two (2) Sig Sauers. Then you add: I just bought another Glock, and haven't even been able to fire it yet

Your profile states that you are employed as "Breakfast Cook and Full Time Student" and you indicate that you are 21 years old.

Please elaborate on these seemingly improbable/inconsistent bits of data. Is it possible that your girl friend posted some of this?

MainelyGlock

Hi there.

Not to be rude, but if you would like to verify my encounter by paying the $10+ for a copy of the police report, I'd be more than welcome to get one for you. In fact, with the PPD, I don't think I even need to be there. You just need to fill out a certain form. Those who read the thread can choose to believe me or not; it's up to them, and either one is perfectly ok with me :) If you're serious about obtaining one, please send me a PM and I will give you the info necessary to get a copy.

I'm not sure how those facts seem improbable. Being a breakfast cook, I work every morning, and take night classes. I work and go to school 6 days a week, not including the online classes I'm enrolled in. How is that inconsistent?

Those gun purchases you listed are accurate, aside from the LC9. I posted that I had consideredbuying an LC9. If I said otherwise, then it's an error on my part. Over the last couple of months, I have purchased a new Glock, Taurus, Ruger, and Walther, in addition to the Glock and two Sig Sauers I had already owned. Again, I'm unsure of how this is "improbable", so I would appreciate any type of explanation behind you saying that.[/I][/I]

Hope that helps!

Thanks

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hi there.

Not to be rude, but if you would like to verify my encounter by paying the $10+ for a copy of the police report, I'd be more than welcome to get one for you. In fact, with the PPD, I don't think I even need to be there. You just need to fill out a certain form. Those who read the thread can choose to believe me or not; it's up to them, and either one is perfectly ok with me :) If you're serious about obtaining one, please send me a PM and I will give you the info necessary to get a copy.
--snip--

Realistically, the burden should be on you. You made the initial reference w/o a substantiating cite. As pointed out repeatedly on this forum, we have seen many such "claims" made and they are not always factual, so do not lay the burden of of "believe me or not" on the readers.

Never have heard of a LEA charging the victim of a crime for a copy of such - nevertheless, I won't quible. A newspaper account would also have sufficed + any follow up showing arrest or similar regarding the attacker.

Make the date and location of said incident available - there are others here that can do the rest, even down to a FOIA request.

MainelyGlock

I made the reference for background information. I am very aware that I made the initial reference. Whether or not readers believe me is certainly not a burden, at least not for me. I feel bad for those seeking negative attention by falsifying claims of an attack.

Oddly enough, when I dropped off the application for my CCP a few weeks ago, I inquired about getting a copy of the case file/report, and was told that it would be $10 for the first three pages, plus $1.25 for any additional pages after that. I told them I was the victim, and the person who filed the report, but it doesn't seem to matter. Not in Portland, Maine, anyways.

Here is the news clip from the incident. Read it with a grain of salt though, as it is not 100% correct.

http://portlanddailysun.me/node/28034/18808

Your posts within the last 2 days indicate that you have just purchased/acquired a Taurus PT709 + a Glock 22 + a SR40 & LC9 w/laser and have two (2) Sig Sauers. Then you add: I just bought another Glock, and haven't even been able to fire it yet

Your profile states that you are employed as "Breakfast Cook and Full Time Student" and you indicate that you are 21 years old.

Please elaborate on these seemingly improbable/inconsistent bits of data. Is it possible that your girl friend posted some of this?

In my last post I asked you why any of this information seemed "improbable" or "inconsistent". Your reply did not contain any answer; but I am still curious. Care to elaborate?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I made the reference for background information. I am very aware that I made the initial reference. Whether or not readers believe me is certainly not a burden, at least not for me. I feel bad for those seeking negative attention by falsifying claims of an attack.

Oddly enough, when I dropped off the application for my CCP a few weeks ago, I inquired about getting a copy of the case file/report, and was told that it would be $10 for the first three pages, plus $1.25 for any additional pages after that. I told them I was the victim, and the person who filed the report, but it doesn't seem to matter. Not in Portland, Maine, anyways.

Here is the news clip from the incident. Read it with a grain of salt though, as it is not 100% correct.

http://portlanddailysun.me/node/28034/18808

In my last post I asked you why any of this information seemed "improbable" or "inconsistent". Your reply did not contain any answer; but I am still curious. Care to elaborate?

Search reveals: $10.00 for the first 5 pages, $2.00 each additional page, but yours is close enough.
http://www.portlandonline.com/police/index.cfm?c=30557&a=143820

The news clip/link makes interesting reading and provides some correlation.

Insofar as your question about improbability, I don't mind answering it at all. Very few working students have the free assets to spend that kind of money over and over on wants instead of limiting to more basics - doing so doesn't make it impossible, just very unlikely. Couple that with an unsubstantiated story and you have an inconsistency that needs clarification.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
The news article matches his story. It's enough for me. His story is believable and nowhere near as far-fetched as the double femur story. I was waiting for some kind of confirmation before commenting.

As for the guns, I bought 4-5 guns shortly after I first turned 21 and I was in college full-time and was working full-time. I bought my second gun so close to the first one that my FFL had to hold it till I got past the thirty days. (I didn't have my CHP yet.) If he has the financial ability then more power to him.

OP, forgive the skepticism on our part and please don't take offense. Grapeshot is correct when it comes to the number of false stories posted here. We have to take everything with a grain of salt until it can be corroborated. I can also see where he's coming from when he was asking about the guns. For what it is worth, Welcome to OCDO!!! Stick around and you will learn a lot!!!

MainelyGlock

I'm glad you found that info, however, I'm going by what I was told by an actual police officer. In my experience, information on the internet can often by very outdated, or entirely untrue. I trust the word of an officer (with the same information on the form) over a website.

I understand where you'e coming from. I'm not taking offense at all, but I'm still a little hazy on why all of the clarification and questioning is necessary, outside of satisfying a readers curiosity. I honestly feel bad for those who feel the need to lie about attacks. My first reaction would be to let them be, and not react at all to their story, but obviously everyone reacts differently, so I understand you wanting[/I] more information. Unfortunately, my story is very real, and the aftermath is something I still deal with today, even all these months later.

As for my financial situation: The last few summers, I have worked 2 or 3 jobs in order to be able to pay for school (currently a junior) This semester, I received a very generous scholarship that covered 100% of my tuition, and then some. So, in addition to the money I worked 78 hours a week for, I was given a refund check by my school for the difference between my tuition and the scholarship I received. This is what allowed me to purchase all of these guns. I received a Glock on my 18th birthday, and bought two Sigs via private transactions. I turned 21 in January, and have since purchased the other firearms we discussed. This is in addition to the two rifles and shotgun I own as well. After all of my bills are accounted for, I completely disregard all of the advice I've received on saving money and spend more than I should on my hobbies, with firearms being one of them. :lol:

I hope this satisfies you, Grapeshot. I am a very open and honest person, so please feel free to ask me any further questions as directly as possible. I've found that it saves time, and avoids unnecessary confusion. :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm glad you found that info, however, I'm going by what I was told by an actual police officer. In my experience, information on the internet can often by very outdated, or entirely untrue. I trust the word of an officer (with the same information on the form) over a website.

I understand where you'e coming from. I'm not taking offense at all, but I'm still a little hazy on why all of the clarification and questioning is necessary, outside of satisfying a readers curiosity. I honestly feel bad for those who feel the need to lie about attacks. My first reaction would be to let them be, and not react at all to their story, but obviously everyone reacts differently, so I understand you wanting[/I] more information. Unfortunately, my story is very real, and the aftermath is something I still deal with today, even all these months later.

As for my financial situation: The last few summers, I have worked 2 or 3 jobs in order to be able to pay for school (currently a junior) This semester, I received a very generous scholarship that covered 100% of my tuition, and then some. So, in addition to the money I worked 78 hours a week for, I was given a refund check by my school for the difference between my tuition and the scholarship I received. This is what allowed me to purchase all of these guns. I received a Glock on my 18th birthday, and bought two Sigs via private transactions. I turned 21 in January, and have since purchased the other firearms we discussed. This is in addition to the two rifles and shotgun I own as well. After all of my bills are accounted for, I completely disregard all of the advice I've received on saving money and spend more than I should on my hobbies, with firearms being one of them. :lol:

I hope this satisfies you, Grapeshot. I am a very open and honest person, so please feel free to ask me any further questions as directly as possible. I've found that it saves time, and avoids unnecessary confusion. :)

Appreciate the candid response in more detail than was necessary.

Carry on.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Okay, Grapeshot and MainelyGlock I think it's time for a group hug. :D

MG, it seems you have passed the OCDO initiation rituals. Congrats...lol

Last edited:

MainelyGlock

Unnecessary details stemming from unnecessary questions :)

I'm down for a group hug! Thanks for the welcome in your first post, by the way. I've already learned a TON from this website!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Okay, Grapeshot and MainelyGlock I think it's time for a group hug. :D

MG, it seems you have passed the OCDO initiation rituals. Congrats...lol

smiley-love0028.gif

MilProGuy

Hi there.

I'm not sure how those facts seem improbable. Being a breakfast cook, I work every morning, and take night classes. I work and go to school 6 days a week, not including the online classes I'm enrolled in. How is that inconsistent?

Those gun purchases you listed are accurate, aside from the LC9. I posted that I had consideredbuying an LC9. If I said otherwise, then it's an error on my part. Over the last couple of months, I have purchased a new Glock, Taurus, Ruger, and Walther, in addition to the Glock and two Sig Sauers I had already owned. Again, I'm unsure of how this is "improbable", so I would appreciate any type of explanation behind you saying that.[/I][/I]

Hope that helps!

Thanks

You've handled yourself in this response like a true gentleman, and seem to be much older than your 21 years.

Welcome to the forum...but fasten your seatbelt. The ride gets rough sometimes. :dude:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
You've handled yourself in this response like a true gentleman, and seem to be much older than your 21 years.
:dude:

You certainly have.... a not-so-common skill on the interwebs. Although it is sad that many of us (I) feel compelled to ask as Grapeshot did, I also am reminded that "improbable" does not mean "impossible".

Last edited:

MainelyGlock

Aw man, I wish the original post was hanging around somewhere. Anyone manage to copy it/screenshot it before it was removed? Sounds like one sorry dude to make all that stuff up. I'll be sure and remember the double-femur trick next time someone tries to rob me ;)