• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flying into BWI Transfer

NMGlock26

I plan on flying into BWI and transfering planes there. Any issues with Maryland? I know to stay away from Chicago and New York. Maryland is very anti gun. I checked the NRA website and hand gun law us and it looks ok. Usually a transfer is no problem unless you get stuck there for some reason and have to declare, like the guy arrested in Chicago last year. We all know about the federal law allowing transportation to your destination that certain states dont care about. Thanks in advance for any info.

JoeSparky

Centurion
I plan on flying into BWI and transfering planes there. Any issues with Maryland? I know to stay away from Chicago and New York. Maryland is very anti gun. I checked the NRA website and hand gun law us and it looks ok. Usually a transfer is no problem unless you get stuck there for some reason and have to declare, like the guy arrested in Chicago last year. We all know about the federal law allowing transportation to your destination that certain states dont care about. Thanks in advance for any info.

Please understand that I've never flown into this part of the country BUT,
assuming that YOU don't have actual physical control or contact with your checked baggage at any time after you check it until you are in a jurisdiction where it is legal for you again to possess it should not be a problem. I have run into a transfer or two in my limited flying where one airline REQUIRED me to get my baggage and RECHECK it again into the system of the transferred to airline.... Seemed very stupid way to do business to me but that is my recollection.

swinokur

Activist Member
If you don't take possession of the bag, you should be ok. FOPA actually states "carry and possess". The MD AG says you can not "carry" in MD so FOPA is a gray area.

According to the attached letter, you are protected.

Last edited:

Dreamer

I would re-schedule my flight so that the transfer was at Dulles or Reagan National, for 2 reasons.

First, if you should be required to actually take possession of your checked bags whlle in BWI, you are arguably violating MD law. Everyone who has been paying any sort of attention to MD law knows that the AG, the MSP and the Governor firmly believe that the State of MD and it's municipalities are not bound by ANY federal law--even FOPA and LEOSA, and they are willing (and in fact eager) to prosecute people who don't break the law for the sheer sadistic joy of terrorizing and victimizing the public in the Courts.

Second, I will not spend a single penny in MD if I can avoid it. Every penny spent in MD is more money in the coffers of a State that is vehemently against fundamental human rights. Financial support is complicity in their crimes.

Good luck with your flight.

Last edited:

Sig229

I would re-schedule my flight so that the transfer was at Dulles or Reagan National, for 2 reasons.

First, if you shoul dbe required to actually take possession of your checked bags whlle in BWI, you are arguably violating MD law. Everyone who has beenpaying any sort of attention to MD law knows that the AG, the MSP and the Governor firmly believe that the State of MD and it's municipalities are not bound by ANY federal law--even FOPA and LEOSA, and they are willing (and in fact eager) to prosecute people who don't break the law for the sheer sadistic joy of terrorizing and victimizing the public in the Courts.

Second, I will not spend a single penny in MD if I can avoid it. Every penny spent in MD is more money in the coffers of a State that is vehemently against fundamental human rights. Financial support is complicity in their crimes.

Good luck with your flight.

I agree with above.
However, I used to fly into BWI from Denver on a monthly basis with firearms and never had a problem.
A few times I had a MD Transit Cop gave me some dirty looks as I walked away from the counter or luggage claim with firearm cases (sometimes three at a time) but never was stopped.

But you never know what you're going to get in Maryland. Yes they are very anti-gun and you may be unlucky and get a young MD Transit cop who wants to make a name for himself and completely ruin your life.

Eeyore

If you are violating the law, then so are the tens of thousands of US military that fly thru BWI to/from the desert. Afternoons in concourse E, you can see a line of over 100 of us, all toting Pelican cases full of--gasp--assault weapons (cue footage of stampeding crowds, screaming women, naked Vietnamese child fleeing burning village, and maye a few huge gasoline explosions for good measure). We are even REQUIRED to get there the day prior, which means we have to spend a night in a hotel, baby-sitting our weapons the whole time.

After being away from home for 15 months, including 12 months in Afghanistan, traveling for 3-4 days straight, 18+ sleepless hours in an airplane, a 9.5-hour time change, and more layovers and bag-dragging between me and home, God help the poor SOB who tries to hassle me for daring to transport my [government-issued] weapons thru their pathetic, puny little state.

"Don't make me angry, Mr. McGee. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."

Dreamer

If you are violating the law, then so are the tens of thousands of US military that fly thru BWI to/from the desert. Afternoons in concourse E, you can see a line of over 100 of us, all toting Pelican cases full of--gasp--assault weapons (cue footage of stampeding crowds, screaming women, naked Vietnamese child fleeing burning village, and maye a few huge gasoline explosions for good measure). We are even REQUIRED to get there the day prior, which means we have to spend a night in a hotel, baby-sitting our weapons the whole time.

Actually, MD Code provides specific exemptions for on-duty military personel. They are not under the same restrictions as citizens with regard to possession, transport, and carry of "regulated firearms". So you are NOT violating the law by staying overnight in a hotel with your M-16 or M-4 or Beretta while awaiting a flight...

Last edited: