Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry Permit in Portland

Question Concealed Carry Permit in Portland

Today will be week two since I have taken my safety class and submitted my permit application. I just have a few questions for those of you who have a CCP in Maine, specifically in Portland if possible:

-How long was the wait time? Did PPD contact you at all? Does anything else need to be submitted besides the application itself?

-I know one of the forms required was a release for some mental health thingy. I did read it, but I don't remember the specifics. When I was younger (I'm 21 now, this was about 11-12 years ago), I got into quite a few fights at school (they all started it ) and was required to go to therapy for my "anger problems". Two of them required (according to the school) the police. Could my permit be denied because of this?

Thanks in advance! I've already learned a ton just from reading on here the last few days.

Therapy is not committed to a mental institution so I would think you're all set. I also think Juvenile records are sealed. They are required to issue or deny the permit within 30 days of receiving the application.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Any updates?

My permit was issued by PPD. They called me about two or three weeks after submitting my app. My NH non-res was faster.

Quote Originally Posted by doorbell View Post
    Any updates?

My permit was issued by PPD. They called me about two or three weeks after submitting my app. My NH non-res was faster.
    It's been over 30 days so far. I called yesterday, and they said to expect to wait another MONTH before it goes through. Not very happy.
    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

Is Shane aware of this?

Not sure. Waiting on the paperwork back from Riverview (?)
    Once more into the fray.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

She (the lady at PPD who handles all of the paperwork) said that my group of release forms went to Riverview on February 8th. How could it possibly take a month for them to supply a simple yes or no?
    Once more into the fray.

Raymond Chandler

If they have not received word within 30 days for a resident permit and they have no reason to not issue the permit, the law requires that the permit be issued. I hate blatant disregard of the law on the part of police departments.

Quote Originally Posted by boyscout399 View Post
    If they have not received word within 30 days for a resident permit and they have no reason to not issue the permit, the law requires that the permit be issued. I hate blatant disregard of the law on the part of police departments.
    Would you mind helping me find the specific law that states this? I'll give it until Monday, then I'm going to visit the PD.

From what I understand, the release forms for the two psychiatric hospitals are only so they can tell the PD if they have admitted the applicant or not. I'm pretty sure I've never been there. Never even heard of the place until a few days ago, so I'm wondering why a simple "No" is taking 4+ weeks.
    Once more into the fray.

Raymond Chandler

Quote Originally Posted by MainelyGlock View Post
    Would you mind helping me find the specific law that states this? I'll give it until Monday, then I'm going to visit the PD.

From what I understand, the release forms for the two psychiatric hospitals are only so they can tell the PD if they have admitted the applicant or not. I'm pretty sure I've never been there. Never even heard of the place until a few days ago, so I'm wondering why a simple "No" is taking 4+ weeks.

Statute is here near the bottom of the statute:
    12.Permit for a resident of 5 or more years to be issued or denied within 30 days; permit for a nonresident and resident of less than 5 years to be issued or denied within 60 days. The issuing authority, as defined in this chapter, shall issue or deny, and reply in writing as to the reason for any denial, within 30 days of the application date in the case of a resident of 5 or more years and within 60 days of the application date in the case of a nonresident or in the case of a resident of less than 5 years. If the issuing authority does not issue or deny a request for a permit renewal within the time limits specified in this subsection, the validity of the expired permit is extended until the issuing authority issues or denies the renewal.

Statute is here near the bottom of the statute:
    Thanks a lot! I'll be sure and read this over to them when I go in. Just in case they forgot
    Once more into the fray.

Raymond Chandler

Therapy is not committed to a mental institution so I would think you're all set. I also think Juvenile records are sealed. They are required to issue or deny the permit within 30 days of receiving the application.
    Most sealing of juvi records require the ex-juvi to request the records be expunged or sealed. Rarely is it automatic.

Portland, Maine concealed weapons permit

Anyone have any recommendations as it relates to 'jumping thru the hoops' with the concealed carry weapon permit process in the City of Portland?

Thanks!

It's still a pretty simple process. Get the application. Fill it out. Submit application, proof of training, other state's permits, photo, release forms, and $35 ($20 for renewal). By law they must issue your permit within 30 days of receiving it. If it takes any longer, call daily or send me a PM. I'll go to the police station personally and ask what's taking them so long and show them the statute.

Maine Revised Statutes 2002-A2004
    Title 25: INTERNAL SECURITY AND PUBLIC SAFETY
    Part 5: PUBLIC SAFETY
    Chapter 252: PERMITS TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUNS
    12. Permit for a resident of 5 or more years to be issued or denied within 30 days; permit for a nonresident and resident of less than 5 years to be issued or denied within 60 days.

STATE POLICE NOTICE: Notice to concealed handgun permit applicants: Due to the high volume of applications the Weapons Division is receiving, it may take as long as 90 days to receive your permit. http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/license...s_permits.html

Not sure how a statement on a State Police web site absolves them from obeying the law? The log jam is in the states 2 psychiatric hospitals. We have six legislators working on a remedy now.

SATURDAY'S SUN JOURNAL PIECE
    Paul J. Mattson
    NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

www.mainecwptraining.com

(207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

Much thanks!

I appreciate the support and info!

Will let you know how things progress.

Thanks!

Just as an update, in case anyone is interested, I still do not have my permit. This Sunday will mark the 6th week since I've submitted my application.

On my fourth and most recent call to the station, I was told that the "batch" of applications that mine is with have been waiting for the Chief's signature. Since February 28th...

Portland did just get a new police chief, so I'm a little more understanding, but it's still frustrating.
    Once more into the fray.

Raymond Chandler

Send me a PM. Maybe Monday we can spin to the station and demand they give you your permit. I can bring a copy of the law and force their hand.

Accomplished Advocate shanebelanger's Avatar
    Send me a PM. Maybe Monday we can spin to the station and demand they give you your permit. I can bring a copy of the law and force their hand.
    I don't think that's the best way to go about it. PM sent.
    Shane Belanger

Gun Owners of Maine
    Please visit the Gun Owners of Maine at:
    facebook group: www.facebook.com/groups/gunownersofmaine
    facebook page: www.facebook.com/gunownersofmaine

"We want to be in a situation under maximum pressure, maximum intensity, and maximum danger. When it's shared with others, it provides a bond which is stronger than any tie that can exist." - SEAL Team Six Officer

Quote Originally Posted by shanebelanger View Post
    I don't think that's the best way to go about it. PM sent.
    Any recommendation? Should I just wait it out?
    Once more into the fray.

Raymond Chandler

Any recommendation? Should I just wait it out?
    your not going to make it go any faster if you complain about it. If anything you'll just make them resent you, and have it take longer. Instead of working against, we need to work with. We need to do our job on the legislative side of things so the police can have less to do, thus allowing them to get the job done with the man power that they have. They're doing what they can, but it takes time for the checks to come back, then it takes man power to verify those checks. If you really want to do some good, call your legislator and tell them how they need to relax the laws surrounding the permitting process so that it's less burden on police. The people who are going to go through the process aren't criminals...
    Shane Belanger

Gun Owners of Maine

"We want to be in a situation under maximum pressure, maximum intensity, and maximum danger. When it's shared with others, it provides a bond which is stronger than any tie that can exist." - SEAL Team Six Officer

The only check that takes time is the one from Riverview. Background checks can be completed in minutes nowadays, and from what I was told the Dorothea Dix Institution has a handful of staff members who's sole job is to help with the CC permits process. I'm not sure if the new police chief in Portland is going to look through every single applicant before signing off, but I do know that waiting a month for a signature is ridiculous. I don't see how calling a legislator would speed up that process, but at the same time, I'm open to anything.
    Once more into the fray.

Raymond Chandler

The only check that takes time is the one from Riverview. Background checks can be completed in minutes nowadays, and from what I was told the Dorothea Dix Institution has a handful of staff members who's sole job is to help with the CC permits process. I'm not sure if the new police chief in Portland is going to look through every single applicant before signing off, but I do know that waiting a month for a signature is ridiculous. I don't see how calling a legislator would speed up that process, but at the same time, I'm open to anything.
    not sure what your talking about with Dorothea Dix: http://bangordailynews.com/2012/03/1...7m-budget-gap/ read that. Also, yes the background check is instant, similar to the check you go through to purchase a firearm, but the others are not instant. There is a lot to this, it's not a simple fix. Calling your legislator would make them more aware of the situation, and if you do it well they will hopefully constructively go at the problem to lessen restrictions, ie only forcing the instant background check instead of all of the checks. As for your last point, if you ran a business and your as* was on the line, would you want to look over the paperwork before it went out? I'm sure the chief is in the same situation, he doesn't want something to go through his station such as a permit to carry a concealed firearm without at least looking it over.
    Last edited by shanebelanger; 03-22-2012 at 08:28 PM.
    Shane Belanger

Gun Owners of Maine

carry issue

Let me say I've read Shanes reply and totaly agree with him. Have patience in this matter. I'm curious though why you don't just open carry every where you go. If anyone asks you why you're doing this you have the perfect reply for them and any officers that questions you.
    "Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought."

- Pope John Paul II

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast