• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Carry Permit in Portland

MainelyGlock

Today will be week two since I have taken my safety class and submitted my permit application. I just have a few questions for those of you who have a CCP in Maine, specifically in Portland if possible:

-How long was the wait time? Did PPD contact you at all? Does anything else need to be submitted besides the application itself?

-I know one of the forms required was a release for some mental health thingy. I did read it, but I don't remember the specifics. When I was younger (I'm 21 now, this was about 11-12 years ago), I got into quite a few fights at school (they all started it :D) and was required to go to therapy for my "anger problems". Two of them required (according to the school) the police. Could my permit be denied because of this?

Thanks in advance! I've already learned a ton just from reading on here the last few days.

boyscout399

Therapy is not committed to a mental institution so I would think you're all set. I also think Juvenile records are sealed. They are required to issue or deny the permit within 30 days of receiving the application.

MainelyGlock

Any updates?

My permit was issued by PPD. They called me about two or three weeks after submitting my app. My NH non-res was faster.

It's been over 30 days so far. I called yesterday, and they said to expect to wait another MONTH before it goes through. Not very happy.

MainelyGlock

She (the lady at PPD who handles all of the paperwork) said that my group of release forms went to Riverview on February 8th. How could it possibly take a month for them to supply a simple yes or no?

boyscout399

If they have not received word within 30 days for a resident permit and they have no reason to not issue the permit, the law requires that the permit be issued. I hate blatant disregard of the law on the part of police departments.

MainelyGlock

If they have not received word within 30 days for a resident permit and they have no reason to not issue the permit, the law requires that the permit be issued. I hate blatant disregard of the law on the part of police departments.

Would you mind helping me find the specific law that states this? I'll give it until Monday, then I'm going to visit the PD.

From what I understand, the release forms for the two psychiatric hospitals are only so they can tell the PD if they have admitted the applicant or not. I'm pretty sure I've never been there. Never even heard of the place until a few days ago, so I'm wondering why a simple "No" is taking 4+ weeks.

boyscout399

Would you mind helping me find the specific law that states this? I'll give it until Monday, then I'm going to visit the PD.

From what I understand, the release forms for the two psychiatric hospitals are only so they can tell the PD if they have admitted the applicant or not. I'm pretty sure I've never been there. Never even heard of the place until a few days ago, so I'm wondering why a simple "No" is taking 4+ weeks.

Statute is here near the bottom of the statute:
12. Permit for a resident of 5 or more years to be issued or denied within 30 days; permit for a nonresident and resident of less than 5 years to be issued or denied within 60 days. The issuing authority, as defined in this chapter, shall issue or deny, and reply in writing as to the reason for any denial, within 30 days of the application date in the case of a resident of 5 or more years and within 60 days of the application date in the case of a nonresident or in the case of a resident of less than 5 years. If the issuing authority does not issue or deny a request for a permit renewal within the time limits specified in this subsection, the validity of the expired permit is extended until the issuing authority issues or denies the renewal.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Therapy is not committed to a mental institution so I would think you're all set. I also think Juvenile records are sealed. They are required to issue or deny the permit within 30 days of receiving the application.

Most sealing of juvi records require the ex-juvi to request the records be expunged or sealed. Rarely is it automatic.

maxluff

Portland, Maine concealed weapons permit

Anyone have any recommendations as it relates to 'jumping thru the hoops' with the concealed carry weapon permit process in the City of Portland?

Thanks!

boyscout399

It's still a pretty simple process. Get the application. Fill it out. Submit application, proof of training, other state's permits, photo, release forms, and $35 ($20 for renewal). By law they must issue your permit within 30 days of receiving it. If it takes any longer, call daily or send me a PM. I'll go to the police station personally and ask what's taking them so long and show them the statute.

Maine CWP Training

Maine Revised Statutes §2002-A§2004
Title 25: INTERNAL SECURITY AND PUBLIC SAFETY
Part 5: PUBLIC SAFETY
Chapter 252: PERMITS TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUNS
12. Permit for a resident of 5 or more years to be issued or denied within 30 days; permit for a nonresident and resident of less than 5 years to be issued or denied within 60 days.

STATE POLICE NOTICE: Notice to concealed handgun permit applicants: Due to the high volume of applications the Weapons Division is receiving, it may take as long as 90 days to receive your permit. http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/weapons_permits.html

Not sure how a statement on a State Police web site absolves them from obeying the law? The log jam is in the states 2 psychiatric hospitals. We have six legislators working on a remedy now.

SATURDAY'S SUN JOURNAL PIECE

maxluff

Much thanks!

I appreciate the support and info!

Will let you know how things progress.

Thanks!

MainelyGlock

Just as an update, in case anyone is interested, I still do not have my permit. This Sunday will mark the 6th week since I've submitted my application.

On my fourth and most recent call to the station, I was told that the "batch" of applications that mine is with have been waiting for the Chief's signature. Since February 28th...

Portland did just get a new police chief, so I'm a little more understanding, but it's still frustrating.

boyscout399

Send me a PM. Maybe Monday we can spin to the station and demand they give you your permit. I can bring a copy of the law and force their hand.