• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Carry Permit in Portland

randian

They MUST issue the permit in a timely manner as the law requires them to do.
What penalty does the law specify if they don't? My bet is none, it's a toothless mandate.

You may recall Florida had the same problem with cities and counties enacting anti-gun ordinances in violation of its preemption statute, which had no penalty for disobedience. If you got arrested under a preempted ordinance you could prove it to the judge and walk away with a dismissal, but you were still going to be out money in legal fees to prove it. Last year the legislature got sufficiently annoyed and put real fines in the preemption ordinance, including fines to be paid personally by recalcitrant officials (no reimbursement shenanigans either) should they keep ignoring the legislature. They whined about how horrid and unconstitutional it was to force them to obey the law, but cities across the state nevertheless have repealed their ordinances.

boyscout399

What penalty does the law specify if they don't? My bet is none, it's a toothless mandate.

You may recall Florida had the same problem with cities and counties enacting anti-gun ordinances in violation of its preemption statute, which had no penalty for disobedience. If you got arrested under a preempted ordinance you could prove it to the judge and walk away with a dismissal, but you were still going to be out money in legal fees to prove it. Last year the legislature got sufficiently annoyed and put real fines in the preemption ordinance, including fines to be paid personally by recalcitrant officials (no reimbursement shenanigans either) should they keep ignoring the legislature. They whined about how horrid and unconstitutional it was to force them to obey the law, but cities across the state nevertheless have repealed their ordinances.

Yeah, it's toothless. I think it's more important for us to push for permitless concealed carry than pushing for giving the 30 days teeth.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
As a citizen of Virginia which I'm not how many open carriers would I see in a day or a week? Just how common is open carry there?

Discounting those events where we gather, like 200 of us at a General Assembly session or 120 at a special thank you dinner - sometimes none, sometimes on a good day 4-5. Real problem is that one's field of vision is limited by circumstances and visual acuity, especially in busy urban environments.

I see them in grocery stores, eating lunch in local burger emporiums or pumping gas. Granted that OCers are not a large segment of the population but the trend and acceptance has been noticeable. Look at the number of views and posts for VA on the main forum page will give some clue as to the interest and participation here - of course the population size effects this too.

I OC not just for the deterrent value, but because it is a great way to open dialog with others. I used to frequent a particular McD's for a 2nd breakfast and became somewhat of a regular -had numerous conversations with other gun owners and CCers over a period of time there. One morning I walked in got my food - sat down and noticed a number of others all stood up smiling - 6 other OCers in that small McDs - their way of saying thank you I guess.

BTW - the manager loved us. She'd go around and refill our coffee cups at the table.

Hope I haven't said anything in the past to make you think that I am critical of your efforts - quite to the contrary, I commend you.
I share ideas, stories and what has worked here so that others may benefit according to their needs. I am not the perfect ambassador of OC, but I am most willing to help when and where I can.

If you are ever in the area, PM me and I'll give you my cell # - we'll take the La Granda tour. :D

jonjon_jon

Now in my opinion this would smart thing to have the backcove picnic based on. Or a picnic somewhere else a politico statement demanding the the legislaters have a vote on this. If it fails again, oh well we can use this issue to gain attention for Go-Me who we are and what we're about. The news media is tired of hearing about open carry but this is a politico issue. We also should be governed under the first amendment which should protect us while we have this picnic. Heck we got to make a statement anyhow how could it be any better than this ........and we could be main stream using the fact other states have this already.

Grapeshot thank you for the reply on my other post.

Last edited:

jonjon_jon

Picnic

I would like to also mention I think a picnic in or near Augusta would be good idea. There is seven parks all within 10 miles from each other and five of them have waterfront access for people to enjoy how they see fit. Most of them have stores within walking distance for supplies....smokes food soda etc. Best of all near Maine Capital but outside the mile limit. There are also some
tables benches and gazebos set up already for public use.

Last edited:

jonjon_jon

Grats on your permit! Now you can OC loaded in your car. Feels good doesn't it?

I want to second that....congratulation. Are we going to see you at Go-Me meeting. Every member is important and every members voice should be heard!!!!!!!!!! Unlike the NRA Go-Me belongs to us! The Maine firearm owner.

Last edited:

MainelyGlock

I want to second that....congratulation. Are we going to see you at Go-Me meeting. Every member is important and every members voice should be heard!!!!!!!!!! Unlike the NRA Go-Me belongs to us! The Maine firearm owner.

Thanks! I am planning on being at the meeting on the 14th. Turning my phone off so work can't call me in :D

maxluff

Applied for CCP in Portland.

Well, today I dropped off all the pertinent CCP paperwork at the Portland PD. Let's see how long this will take...