• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to Remove Barrel Finish

MainelyGlock

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong place!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I wanted to share a very easy and harmless way to remove the finish on your gun barrel. I've done this to both of my Sigs, and it looks great! And, despite not using expensive tools or methods to do it, it functions just as it did with the finish.

Items needed:

-Gun barrel (duh)
-White vinegar
-Container of some sort
-Gun oil
-A few rags
-Metal polish

Soak the gun barrel in the vinegar. For my Sig, it took about 45 minutes. You really can't hurt anything by leaving it in longer, if you need to. After a few minutes you'll be able to see the black wearing off. Once it's done, remove the barrel and wipe off the black with either a rag, or your fingers. Run the barrel under cold water for a few minutes, then dry it as thoroughly as possible. Next, oil your barrel, wipe it clean, and apply whatever metal polish you use. I've used both Fitz and Noxon, and both work equally as well. Polish until you can't polish any more! Then apply more oil and wipe down, and you're good.

Visually, this looks MUCH better than taking sandpaper to your barrel. Once I can figure out how to post pictures on here, I'll put a few up of the process. It's very very easy, and looks good too!