• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

From the Shadows

ColoradoTech

I have been a forum lurker for so long I feel as though I know some of you personally. I figure it is time to come out from the shadows and participate in some of these discussions.

I try to open carry as often as possible but I am still much more comfortable with concealed carry, I hope that will change over time.

The one thing I am still confused on is open carry within 1000ft School Zone. I have seen posts of people saying this doesn't apply to people with a CCW. Does anyone know of statutes (Federal or State) that back up this argument?

since9

Campaign Veteran
Hi, ColoradoTech - Welcome to the forums!

The Wikipedia entry has cites of the law, as well as the text, and copies of the BATF letters which wrongly (in my opinion) make claims contrary to the law.

The crux of the issue is:

The Gun Free School Zones Act states:
(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

ColoradoTech

That helps but I don't like how murky the language is. It could easily be read that you have to be licensed to carry in a school zone by the state, and our license grants no such thing (short of stowing it in your car while you are on school grounds). Does anyone know of someone being ticketed or arrested for such a violation (that had a ccw)?

Seth

jhco50

I am not licensed for concealed carry, but I am backed up to an elementary school. To be honest I don't pay any attention as I drive up and down the streets in my daily ramblings. Even on my scooter. (that's right, I ride a scooter :p)

JamesB

I am not licensed for concealed carry, but I am backed up to an elementary school. To be honest I don't pay any attention as I drive up and down the streets in my daily ramblings. Even on my scooter. (that's right, I ride a scooter :p)

Ain't nothin' wrong with a scooter. In the metro area it really is all you need.

40 miles per hour. 100 miles per galon. $100 per year to insure. You can park it anywhere for free. I don't see why everyone don't have one.

Gunslinger

That helps but I don't like how murky the language is. It could easily be read that you have to be licensed to carry in a school zone by the state, and our license grants no such thing (short of stowing it in your car while you are on school grounds). Does anyone know of someone being ticketed or arrested for such a violation (that had a ccw)?

Seth

A CCW issued by the state trumps the 1000' School Zone. You still cannot carry, open or concealed, on the 'real property' of the school but can have/leave it in your car with a CCW. If you have a CO CCW, don't worry about it. Even without a CCW, on your property or in your car is ok. Just don't take it out of the car. Technically, as I live within 1000' of a school, when I step on the street to get my mail carrying a pistol, I violate the law. However, as I have a CCW, that is an affirmative defense.