• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Toyota in Georgetown

Comm

Any know if the Toyota plant is considered "Foreign soil" and does not allow weapons in your car? I have a friend who just got his CCW and just got a job there, and during his ordination, told the people that any kind of weapon was not allowed in their parking lot because of it being considered foreign soil, and does not have to honor State law.
I told him to just not tell anything to anyone, and leave it in the glove box, but he's new, and doesn't want to carry his weapon in his car.

djstaehlin

Campaign Veteran
From what I've found, the Toyota manufacturing facility in Georgetown, Kentucky is in a foreign trade zone, the U.S. version of international free trade zones. This one is specifically Foreign Trade Zone 29E.

See http://www.ced.ky.gov/kyedc/pdfs/usftznky.pdf

That document lists the main benefits of a foreign trade zone, but they appear to be duty, tariff, and tax related.

Customs and Border Protection has a site with a great deal of information about foreign trade zones.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/cargo_security/cargo_control/ftz/about_ftz.xml

I didn't see anything specifying restrictions on firearms, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were such restrictions.

Hope this helps or at least gives you a start on further research.

bigdodge25

Yes it is a foreign trade zone...My dad works there and they do not tolerate weapons

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Wow. I had no idea such a thing existed. So, if this crap is true, then I have a problem with them proudly proclaiming "Made in USA."

flb_78

Foreign Trade Zones are not foreign soil. Im not aware of any regulations that prevent the legal carrying of firearms in these zones.

Basically it's a way to avoid taxes on imported items until they're fully assembled.

http://ia.ita.doc.gov/ftzpage/tic.html

Duty-free treatment is accorded items that are processed in FTZs and then reexported, and duty payment is deferred on items until they are brought out of the FTZ for sale in the U.S. market. This helps to offset customs advantages available to overseas producers who compete with domestic industry.

Last edited:

Comm

I found this on another site...

Foreign trade zones are a matter of customs and taxes only. These have no special status as regards any of the other laws of the US, state or local jurisdiction except by a "rider" to their FTZ approval. On the other hand, Toyota can make whatever rules it wants about employee conduct so long as these are not in conflict with the existing laws and rights. It might well be that Toyota can ban a worker from bringing privately owned tools into the plant, but they would need to show "good and appropriate purpose" to prevent you from keeping a toolkit in your car. Since KY has a "parking lot law" there is no status that Toyota can employ to offset said law.

Thanks for the replies... looks like you can have a weapon in your car and they cannot do anything about it.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I'm curious who the managers are that were lying to you. Are they foreign nationals, or Americans?

I'd discreetly pass the word around (maybe printed) so all your co-workers know the truth.

hotrod

FTZ only exist to allow foreign corporations the ability to ship product in and out of the country and pay duty on the assets as they ship them. They do not protect any corporation from being sued from failing to follow Kentucky law as applied by KRS 237. Do not let them frighten you.

Last edited:

Brian D.

Any know if the Toyota plant is considered "Foreign soil" and does not allow weapons in your car? I have a friend who just got his CCW and just got a job there, and during his ordination, told the people that any kind of weapon was not allowed in their parking lot because of it being considered foreign soil, and does not have to honor State law.
I told him to just not tell anything to anyone, and leave it in the glove box, but he's new, and doesn't want to carry his weapon in his car.

No offense meant, honest, but I have to ask: Did this whole thing about 'foreign soil' set off any sort of "BS detector" inside your mind? Think it through: Supposing somebody in the plant or out in the parking lot falls and breaks their leg, for example. How could city, county, or even privately owned EMS make a response there? Pretty sure that the EMT's and medics are certified to work in Kentucky, not Japan. Same with the local & county fire, police, etc.

Sometimes it helps to step back and look at a bigger picture.

And honestly, would you expect an orientation for new hires to encourage firearms on the property?

slocav

I work there as well. Just leave it in the glove box and don't tell anyone its there and don't leave shells out in the car... People trade and sale guns all the time in there lots... Just don't tell anyone you have it...

Comm

No offense meant, honest, but I have to ask: Did this whole thing about 'foreign soil' set off any sort of "BS detector" inside your mind? Think it through: Supposing somebody in the plant or out in the parking lot falls and breaks their leg, for example. How could city, county, or even privately owned EMS make a response there? Pretty sure that the EMT's and medics are certified to work in Kentucky, not Japan. Same with the local & county fire, police, etc.

Sometimes it helps to step back and look at a bigger picture.

And honestly, would you expect an orientation for new hires to encourage firearms on the property?

I know, and had it been me in there, I would have been fired, before I even started work! ;)
Like I said this is a friend of mine, who is just started there, and just got his CCW. I told him about this forum, and he needed to get on here and learn all about our gun laws.

hermannr

Yes it is a foreign trade zone...My dad works there and they do not tolerate weapons

I beg to differ. This is not an embassy, it is a vehicle plant...they do not have any choice in the matter...they have to abide by state law, trade zone or not.. trade zone gives them import, export and tax considerations, nothing else.

Last edited:

bigdodge25

I beg to differ. This is not an embassy, it is a vehicle plant...they do not have any choice in the matter...they have to abide by state law, trade zone or not.. trade zone gives them import, export and tax considerations, nothing else.

Thanks for clarifing.

slocav

That is good advice, but it does nothing to help the poor guy that gets caught with a gun and loses his job like Michael Michell did at the University of Ky. That man has gone thru hell for no reason, and someone at Toyota will too, someday. The law says "No employer, public or private.......". Why is that so hard to understand?

Believe me I agree with the no employer but with the trade zone that tosses in another part to the equation.... But if they don't know its there then no harm no foul. But if for some reason you need to pull it on property I'd rather lose my job than possibly my life.

carracer

Regardless of the laws...rules...regulations. If they don't want you to have a firearm on the property, parking lot or anywhere else within the property lines, if they find out you will be fired. They will just make up something, or the classic, "the company is going in a different direction at this time and you services are no longer needed."

Comm

Regardless of the laws...rules...regulations. If they don't want you to have a firearm on the property, parking lot or anywhere else within the property lines, if they find out you will be fired. They will just make up something, or the classic, "the company is going in a different direction at this time and you services are no longer needed."

And this is where we need to corner them on "their policy" by taking them to court and suing them. I know most people may not have that privilege, but it needs to be done. Just like Michael Mitchel working for UK. It has been over 2 years since they fired him, and he fought them all the way to the Supreme court. We are still waiting on a decision, but hopefully this decision will set a standard that other companies will take note, and hopefully stop their invasion on our rights. HB 280 was going to help with this, but it looks like that bill will die this year, and we'll have to do it again next year.

hotrod

And this is where we need to corner them on "their policy" by taking them to court and suing them.

The sad part is, until you are fired, you do not have standing to sue. I would like to know if anyone can document a firing because of having a firearm in their vehicle.