• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can a person Open Carry while having a Concealed Carry permit on his/her person?

LOERetired

If a person holds a concealed carry permit and has it on his/her person while open carrying, could the person get ticketed for not having the firearm concealed?

I was told that if you have a concealed carry permit on you while open carrying that you could get in trouble for not having the firearm concealed, is this true, anyone know?

Cowboyridn

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
If you have your driver's license in your possession, are you allowed to be a mere passenger in a motor vehicle?

H

Herr Heckler Koch

You can get a ticket for most anything. There is no such state law.

bigdaddy1

No, you can not get a ticket for specifically open carrying a firearm with your concealed carry permit. In fact since I do not have a CC firearm yet I only open carry. If I'm in a school zone I can still open carry due to my permit.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
If a person holds a concealed carry permit and has it on his/her person while open carrying, could the person get ticketed for not having the firearm concealed?

I was told that if you have a concealed carry permit on you while open carrying that you could get in trouble for not having the firearm concealed, is this true, anyone know?

Cowboyridn

Don, this is exactly the gibberish I predicted would be spouted as soon as CWL's were issued in Wisconsin. There are several LEO's that think this way which is just dumb.

Snip: CCW AND OPEN CARRY
If I get a CCW license does that affect my ability to openly carry a firearm?
No. Unless expressly provided, the licensure statute does not limit an individual’s right to carry a firearm that is not concealed. Wis. Stat. § 175.60(2)(c).

Link: https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/175/60/2/c

From the actual statute: (c) Unless expressly provided in this section, this section does not limit an individual's right to carry a firearm that is not concealed.

LOERetired

Thanks

Thanks,

Don, this is exactly the gibberish I predicted would be spouted as soon as CWL's were issued in Wisconsin. There are several LEO's that think this way which is just dumb.

Snip: CCW AND OPEN CARRY
If I get a CCW license does that affect my ability to openly carry a firearm?
No. Unless expressly provided, the licensure statute does not limit an individual’s right to carry a firearm that is not concealed. Wis. Stat. § 175.60(2)(c).

Link: https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/175/60/2/c

From the actual statute: (c) Unless expressly provided in this section, this section does not limit an individual's right to carry a firearm that is not concealed.

rimmer

From what I read, You can open carry anywhere that you can conceal carry in Wisconsin. Unless of course, one or the other is posted at a business.
Oscar

JJC

Cowboyridn

Where did you get this misinformation?

JJC

LOERetired

Misinformation

From a guy while I was out shooting my firearm in Portage, he was not a good source of information, but, I thought I would put it out on this site and see what was the truth, and sure enough, the people on this site are awsom, the question was answered very quickly and with sited statutes, I thank you all......you're a wealth of information and expierience.

Where did you get this misinformation?

JJC