Thread: Hit this poll! "University police chiefs lobby against guns on campus"

Hit this poll! "University police chiefs lobby against guns on campus"

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Police-...139493023.html

"University police chiefs lobby against guns on campus"

PHOENIX -- University police chiefs from around Arizona are lobbying against the movement to allow guns on college campuses.

Chiefs from Arizona State University, University of Arizona and Northern Arizona University met with the Board of Regents Thursday in Tempe. They stood united against the bill, which is again making its way through the legislature.

"More guns does not equate to a safer campus," said ASU Police Chief John Pickens.

More at link, including poll.

Banned
    Look, if you want to carry, carry. The worst they can do is tell you to leave - at least legally.

Don't need the gov't blessing to carry - we ALWAYS had this right. Its a pre-constitutional right.

Results as of 16:30

Yes
    85% 153

No
    15% 26

Total Votes: 179

As of 2/23/12

Yes

88% 208

No

12% 28
    Total Votes: 236

I would remind the University Police Chiefs of the AZ State Constitution... Sec 2 Art 26. There is no caveate for 'universities'. Such an enumerated right does not stop at the garden gate... as it were. What exactly does make a safer campus Chief(s)? The idea is to make the individual safe... of their own violition and responsibility. Since those carrying must have CWP's anyway... they are of adult age and properly vetted. What's your problem? Being armed also ensures that during commutes they will not be unarmed. Who'se to say this isn't already being practiced? Concealed is concealed after all.

Methinks the real issue is the authority/control problem. Guns go with badges and uniforms... not Joe Sixpack. Only badges and uniforms can be trusted... that's the mindset of the authoritarian statist.

They are just remembering all the killings and blood on campus in Utah, where campus carry has been allowed for years, in contrast with the safety of the students in gun free Virginia Tech. Anyone can see the logic in their thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    They are just remembering all the killings and blood on campus in Utah, where campus carry has been allowed for years, in contrast with the safety of the students in gun free Virginia Tech. Anyone can see the logic in their thinking!
    +1.

Poll hit:

Yes
    89% 227 votes
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Angry Typical power grab

Here in MI. our legislature has given some of the Universities the power to usurp our state constitution and our preemption law. Those in charge of Wayne State {crime riddled campus in Detroit}, UofM & MSU have all had major crime issues including serial rapists etc... so the only people that have benefited from stripping students (often young women) from the means to defend themselves effectively are the criminals that would rob, rape, assault, abduct & murder the students that the Universities claim to be defending with their gun bans.

Fight for carry on campus fellow OC/CC patriots. Once the powers that be (who often have their own security details) get a dose of power they will not stop until you and your loved ones are left totally defenseless and cowering. Why should they care, as their own rules don't apply to them? Unless they are going to assign each student their own armed bodyguard there is no way they can protect each student; now is there?
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 02-23-2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: clarity edit
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Centurion
    Currently,

Yes 240
    No 28
    Total respondents 268.

I added my "HELL YES, LAWFUL ADULTS SHOULD BE ABLE TO POSSESS THE TOOLS OF SELF-DEFENSE ANYWHERE THEY ARE LAWFULLY PRESENT INCLUDING A COLLEGE CAMPUS, DORM, OR CLASSROOM!...
    They only let me select the "yes" button though!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

As of 7pm Central on Fri. 24FEB the tally is:
    90% in favor of self-defense
    10% opposed

I'd say that the 10% who are against self-protection either are criminals, or have the mental illness which leads them to believe that inanimate objects influence humans, or inanimate objects will do something without human action.

And why do the opinions of police chiefs matter, when we're talking about basic human rights?
    If they don't want to uphold the Constitution, they can find another job.

They use some of the same old illogical 'arguments':
    Quote Originally Posted by UA Police Chief Anthony Daykin
    I have a great appreciation for guns, but I've seen tragedies occur when people didn't handle guns properly, or made bad decisions about the use of firearms
    Ditto for cars, so of course he's also campaigning against students being allowed to drive on U property, right? Cars are involved in many times more deaths than firearms every year.

Quote Originally Posted by NAU Police Chief Gregory Fowler
    You're going to have accidents where people are going to get hurt. You add [guns] to that mix of youth, alcohol, drugs, and it's a terrible mix with handguns.
    Isn't the legal age to carry 18, or 21 with a cc license?
    And isn't the legal age to drink 21?

Quote Originally Posted by ASU President Michael Crow
    has said he fears a scenario in which a gunman enters a lecture hall, and several gun-toting students start firing at him at once.
    "Gun-toting" tells us all we need to know. He's an anti-rights person influenced by the Brady Bunch. They're the only ones who still use that idiotic & demeaning phrase.
    Besides, what would be wrong with that happening?
    More chance of the bad guy being stopped quickly.
    And what's the chance of having more than one LAC in a classroom?
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Little ignorant town

Just wondering if i can get a little help on a local poll here in podunk, ooops i means Surprise. Thanks

http://www.azcentral.com/community/s...rmal-poll.html

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Mandel View Post
    Just wondering if i can get a little help on a local poll here in podunk, ooops i means Surprise. Thanks

http://www.azcentral.com/community/s...rmal-poll.html
    Wow, that poll does need help. I would start a new thread on it.

Results:
    No.
    63.06%
    Yes.
    36.04%

Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    Wow, that poll does need help. I would start a new thread on it.

Results:
    No.
    63.06%
    Yes.
    36.04%

The results have flipped now:

Yes: 63.16%
    No: 35.96%
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post

Well they flipped again then;

No.
    63.48%
    Yes.
    35.65%

115 votes
    Last edited by sharkey; 02-28-2012 at 01:13 AM.

Someone needs to direct those chiefs to the Cato Institute Self-Defense paper posted up in another OCDO thread. I just commented in that thread that one of the most interesting findings in it was:
    "In fact, after Colorado’s 2003 concealedcarry law was enacted, Colorado State Uni- versity decided to allow concealed carry,while the University of Colorado prohibitedfirearms. The former observed a rapid de-cline in reported crimes, while the latter, un-der the gun ban they claimed was for safety,observed a rapid increase in crime. Crimeat the University of Colorado has risen 35percent since 2004, while crime at ColoradoState University has dropped 60 percent inthe same time frame."

I have a feeling that those University Police Chiefs in their shiny uniforms are not the type to let facts get in the way of their opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
    Well they flipped again then;

No.
    63.48%
    Yes.
    35.65%

115 votes

Hmmm, something is fishy....

Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    Hmmm, something is fishy....
    Yep. They dumped about 150 votes. hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post

Did you notice the NO was on top?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Just now:

Yes 91% 294
    No 9% 29
    Total Votes: 323

-MH
    $2 Bill - Calling Card of the 2A Movement
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
    Seriously, who is John Galt?
    Vires et honestas

Quote Originally Posted by Dahwg View Post
    Yep. They dumped about 150 votes. hmmm....
    Probably all the votes where the referring link was on a gun site.

I don't click the links on sites to go to polls, I "Copy Link Location" and then paste it in the address bar. That prevents the site from knowing where I came from to get to the poll.

Check out this article from UA about on-campus carry: http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/index...parks_conflict
    Last edited by junedog47; 03-03-2012 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by March Hare View Post
    Just now:

Yes 91% 294
    No 9% 29
    Total Votes: 323

-MH
    Surprise! The Yes/No is flipped again, and they lost another 100 votes...hum, not getting what they want I expect....

Are we all talking about the same poll? Two got linked in this thread.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

police chiefs are usually appointed cop-o-crats. iow, completely beholden to those they work for.

whatever their ACTUAL views vis a vis carry on campus are, they are likely, if they want to keep their job, to support whatever position their handlers tell them to support

Banned
    91% .....