• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hit this poll! "University police chiefs lobby against guns on campus"

PavePusher

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Police-chiefs-lobby-against-guns-on-campus-139493023.html

"University police chiefs lobby against guns on campus"

PHOENIX -- University police chiefs from around Arizona are lobbying against the movement to allow guns on college campuses.

Chiefs from Arizona State University, University of Arizona and Northern Arizona University met with the Board of Regents Thursday in Tempe. They stood united against the bill, which is again making its way through the legislature.

"More guns does not equate to a safer campus," said ASU Police Chief John Pickens.

More at link, including poll.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Look, if you want to carry, carry. The worst they can do is tell you to leave - at least legally.

Don't need the gov't blessing to carry - we ALWAYS had this right. Its a pre-constitutional right.

Sonora Rebel

As of 2/23/12

Yes

88% 208

No

12% 28
Total Votes: 236

I would remind the University Police Chiefs of the AZ State Constitution... Sec 2 Art 26. There is no caveate for 'universities'. Such an enumerated right does not stop at the garden gate... as it were. What exactly does make a safer campus Chief(s)? The idea is to make the individual safe... of their own violition and responsibility. Since those carrying must have CWP's anyway... they are of adult age and properly vetted. What's your problem? Being armed also ensures that during commutes they will not be unarmed. Who'se to say this isn't already being practiced? Concealed is concealed after all.

Methinks the real issue is the authority/control problem. Guns go with badges and uniforms... not Joe Sixpack. Only badges and uniforms can be trusted... that's the mindset of the authoritarian statist.

carracer

They are just remembering all the killings and blood on campus in Utah, where campus carry has been allowed for years, in contrast with the safety of the students in gun free Virginia Tech. Anyone can see the logic in their thinking!

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Typical power grab

Here in MI. our legislature has given some of the Universities the power to usurp our state constitution and our preemption law. Those in charge of Wayne State {crime riddled campus in Detroit}, UofM & MSU have all had major crime issues including serial rapists etc... so the only people that have benefited from stripping students (often young women) from the means to defend themselves effectively are the criminals that would rob, rape, assault, abduct & murder the students that the Universities claim to be defending with their gun bans.

Fight for carry on campus fellow OC/CC patriots. Once the powers that be (who often have their own security details) get a dose of power they will not stop until you and your loved ones are left totally defenseless and cowering. Why should they care, as their own rules don't apply to them? Unless they are going to assign each student their own armed bodyguard there is no way they can protect each student; now is there?

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
Currently,

Yes 240
No 28
Total respondents 268.

I added my "HELL YES, LAWFUL ADULTS SHOULD BE ABLE TO POSSESS THE TOOLS OF SELF-DEFENSE ANYWHERE THEY ARE LAWFULLY PRESENT INCLUDING A COLLEGE CAMPUS, DORM, OR CLASSROOM!...
They only let me select the "yes" button though!

MKEgal

As of 7pm Central on Fri. 24FEB the tally is:
90% in favor of self-defense
10% opposed

I'd say that the 10% who are against self-protection either are criminals, or have the mental illness which leads them to believe that inanimate objects influence humans, or inanimate objects will do something without human action.

And why do the opinions of police chiefs matter, when we're talking about basic human rights?
If they don't want to uphold the Constitution, they can find another job.

They use some of the same old illogical 'arguments':
UA Police Chief Anthony Daykin said:
I have a great appreciation for guns, but I've seen tragedies occur when people didn't handle guns properly, or made bad decisions about the use of firearms
Ditto for cars, so of course he's also campaigning against students being allowed to drive on U property, right? Cars are involved in many times more deaths than firearms every year.

NAU Police Chief Gregory Fowler said:
You're going to have accidents where people are going to get hurt. You add [guns] to that mix of youth, alcohol, drugs, and it's a terrible mix with handguns.
Isn't the legal age to carry 18, or 21 with a cc license?
And isn't the legal age to drink 21?

ASU President Michael Crow said:
has said he fears a scenario in which a gunman enters a lecture hall, and several gun-toting students start firing at him at once.
"Gun-toting" tells us all we need to know. He's an anti-rights person influenced by the Brady Bunch. They're the only ones who still use that idiotic & demeaning phrase.
Besides, what would be wrong with that happening?
More chance of the bad guy being stopped quickly.
And what's the chance of having more than one LAC in a classroom?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Someone needs to direct those chiefs to the Cato Institute Self-Defense paper posted up in another OCDO thread. I just commented in that thread that one of the most interesting findings in it was:
"In fact, after Colorado’s 2003 concealedcarry law was enacted, Colorado State Uni- versity decided to allow concealed carry,while the University of Colorado prohibitedfirearms. The former observed a rapid de-cline in reported crimes, while the latter, un-der the gun ban they claimed was for safety,observed a rapid increase in crime. Crimeat the University of Colorado has risen 35percent since 2004, while crime at ColoradoState University has dropped 60 percent inthe same time frame."

I have a feeling that those University Police Chiefs in their shiny uniforms are not the type to let facts get in the way of their opinions.