Thread: Cincinnati State College Owned Airport Rights

Question Cincinnati State College Owned Airport Rights

So I am and have been a student of Cincinnati State's Aviation Maintenance Program for a while now, and have a question that has been driving me nuts for months. My program requires me to attend classes at their airport campus that is owned by the college itself. The parking lot for students has a sign as you enter it stating "No Guns Allowed on Premises", however as a legal CCW holder I believe that I am allowed to leave my firearm locked inside my car during classes. Am I correct in this assumption?

Also being that it is at a private airport, I wonder what sort of extra issues I may run into.

Thanks!

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    If it is part of the college then lock it up in your car. If is is not college property then it is a civil matter, still lock it up in your car.....

Where is that at????? Blue Ash Airport???? Cincinnati Municipal Lunken Airport?????

Until someone more native comes along...

This is a good site to start researching carry laws:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Click on the state you're interested in & it'll pop up a PDF:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf
    which has links on the top of the first page to various .gov resources for you to confirm what they'll tell you in the PDF.

In the PDF they talk about prohibited places. I think both of the following cover your situation, showing that you'd be OK leaving it in your locked car.
    Sec. 2923.126 (B) Prohibited Places.
    Universities, unless locked in a motor vehicle or in the process of being locked in a motor vehicle...
    Government facilities that are not used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles...
    When they're talking about "keep out" signs, they quote a bit of code that applies to private property, which it sounds like this isn't:
    O.R.C. 2923.126(C)(3) allows the owner or person in control of private land to post a sign in a conspicuous place that prohibits persons from carrying concealed firearms on that property.
    In fact, there's a bit on pg. 9 saying that airport parking lots are specifically OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    If it is part of the college then lock it up in your car. If is is not college property then it is a civil matter, still lock it up in your car.....

Where is that at????? Blue Ash Airport???? Cincinnati Municipal Lunken Airport?????

To answer your question, this is out at the Harrison Airport in Harrison Ohio. It is a small airport, much smaller than Lunken with only 1 1600ft runway, a small FBO (Fixed Base Operator), a fuel farm, a few small T-Hangars and the school on the far west end.

Quote Originally Posted by Code-J View Post
    To answer your question, this is out at the Harrison Airport in Harrison Ohio. It is a small airport, much smaller than Lunken with only 1 1600ft runway, a small FBO (Fixed Base Operator), a fuel farm, a few small T-Hangars and the school on the far west end.
    I67 Airport
    10004 West Road, Harrison, OH 45030
    (513) 367-1201 ‎

That property is owned by:

CINCINNATI STATE TECHNICAL
    & COMMUNITY COLLEGE
    3520 CENTRAL PKY
    CINCINNATI, OH 45223

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    I67 Airport
    10004 West Road, Harrison, OH 45030
    (513) 367-1201 ‎

That property is owned by:

CINCINNATI STATE TECHNICAL
    & COMMUNITY COLLEGE
    3520 CENTRAL PKY
    CINCINNATI, OH 45223
    Yup that's the place. Thanks for following up with the address.

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    They said "premises," not "property." The first refers to a building, or buildings. The second refers to buildings and real estate.

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    They said "premises," not "property." The first refers to a building, or buildings. The second refers to buildings and real estate.
    That is incorrect. Ohio law when referring to the term "premises" means buildings and land.
    And Ohio law when referring to the term "property" means real and personal property. That means buildings and land.....

Colleges cannot keep you from locking up your firearm in your car when parking on their land. Even private colleges.
    Last edited by color of law; 02-22-2012 at 09:23 AM.