• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cincinnati State College Owned Airport Rights

Code-J

So I am and have been a student of Cincinnati State's Aviation Maintenance Program for a while now, and have a question that has been driving me nuts for months. My program requires me to attend classes at their airport campus that is owned by the college itself. The parking lot for students has a sign as you enter it stating "No Guns Allowed on Premises", however as a legal CCW holder I believe that I am allowed to leave my firearm locked inside my car during classes. Am I correct in this assumption?

Also being that it is at a private airport, I wonder what sort of extra issues I may run into.

Thanks!

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
If it is part of the college then lock it up in your car. If is is not college property then it is a civil matter, still lock it up in your car.....

Where is that at????? Blue Ash Airport???? Cincinnati Municipal Lunken Airport?????

MKEgal

Until someone more native comes along...

This is a good site to start researching carry laws:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Click on the state you're interested in & it'll pop up a PDF:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf
which has links on the top of the first page to various .gov resources for you to confirm what they'll tell you in the PDF.

In the PDF they talk about prohibited places. I think both of the following cover your situation, showing that you'd be OK leaving it in your locked car.
Sec. 2923.126 (B) Prohibited Places.
Universities, unless locked in a motor vehicle or in the process of being locked in a motor vehicle...
Government facilities that are not used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles...
When they're talking about "keep out" signs, they quote a bit of code that applies to private property, which it sounds like this isn't:
O.R.C. 2923.126(C)(3) allows the owner or person in control of private land to post a sign in a conspicuous place that prohibits persons from carrying concealed firearms on that property.
In fact, there's a bit on pg. 9 saying that airport parking lots are specifically OK.

Code-J

If it is part of the college then lock it up in your car. If is is not college property then it is a civil matter, still lock it up in your car.....

Where is that at????? Blue Ash Airport???? Cincinnati Municipal Lunken Airport?????

To answer your question, this is out at the Harrison Airport in Harrison Ohio. It is a small airport, much smaller than Lunken with only 1 1600ft runway, a small FBO (Fixed Base Operator), a fuel farm, a few small T-Hangars and the school on the far west end.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
To answer your question, this is out at the Harrison Airport in Harrison Ohio. It is a small airport, much smaller than Lunken with only 1 1600ft runway, a small FBO (Fixed Base Operator), a fuel farm, a few small T-Hangars and the school on the far west end.

I67 Airport
10004 West Road, Harrison, OH 45030
(513) 367-1201 ‎

That property is owned by:

CINCINNATI STATE TECHNICAL
& COMMUNITY COLLEGE
3520 CENTRAL PKY
CINCINNATI, OH 45223

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
They said "premises," not "property." The first refers to a building, or buildings. The second refers to buildings and real estate.

That is incorrect. Ohio law when referring to the term "premises" means buildings and land.
And Ohio law when referring to the term "property" means real and personal property. That means buildings and land.....

Colleges cannot keep you from locking up your firearm in your car when parking on their land. Even private colleges.

Last edited: