• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Delegate Cole's HB22 just squeaked by in our Senate

Repeater

No need for Bill Bolling -- at least, not this time:

HB22
02/02/12 Senate: Constitutional reading dispensed
02/02/12 Senate: Referred to Committee for Courts of Justice
02/15/12 Senate: Reported from Courts of Justice (8-Y 6-N 1-A)
02/17/12 Senate: Constitutional reading dispensed (40-Y 0-N)
02/20/12 Senate: Read third time
02/20/12 Senate: Passed Senate (23-Y 17-N)

Repeater

Wet noodles, dental floss and cookie dough?

Say, you want to read something funny? Try this:

Democrats still have a card to play on the budget By Jeff Schapiro
After helping kill one of fellow Republican Bob McDonnell's marquee proposals — legislation making it easier to fire public-school teachersTommy Norment was taken to the woodshed: the governor's office.

McDonnell told the state Senate majority leader he was none too pleased by the defeat, the biggest since McDonnell's flop on liquor privatization. The latest was made worse by parliamentary shenanigans. Norment and another GOP senator, John Watkins of Powhatan, refused to vote. In General Assembly parlance, they walked.

That prevented a tie vote in the evenly divided Senate. It would have been broken — in McDonnell's favor — by his chosen heir, Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling. Needless to say, Republicans were annoyed, more so by Norment's gamesmanship.

Imagine 'Bob for Jobs' taking anyone to the woodshed.

The following, however, is not funny:
But while Norment's supposed friends were piling on, so, too, were his actual enemies: Democrats.

This time, they're threatening impasse on the budget, perhaps as early as Thursday, when the Senate is scheduled to vote on its version of a two-year, $85 billion spending plan. It can be avoided, Democrats say, if Norment and his caucus agree to changes in committee memberships and, possibly, chairmanships.

Democrats, whose urgency on committee make-up is heightened by the gush of hard-right legislation [like our pro-gun agenda, perhaps?], also are pressing McDonnell to back their demands. They're signaling to the governor that the Virginia budget — his budget, the fiscal foundation of his legacy — could hang in the balance.

A coming betrayal, possibly?

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

:lol:
I have a mental image of your house Repeater.
stock-photo-monitors-wall-the-picture-used-is-mine-22812340.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The betrayal is already upon us. McDonnell doesn't even have a mate to run under ( <cough> Romney <cough> ) and he's already trying to appear the moderate.

McDonnell is living proof of the "lesser of two evils" two-party argument.

Reminds me of Kaine's butt kissing stage.

Tess

Founder's Club Member

The Democrats were stating as early as Jan 14 that they were planning to hold up budget votes and votes on judgeships. (I have it recorded from the mouth of Senator Toddy Puller.)

Last edited:

Repeater

The Democrats were stating as early as Jan 14 that they were planning to hold up budget votes and votes on judgeships. (I have it recorded from the mouth of Senator Toddy Puller.)

Yes, you are correct!

Now, they appear ready to collect. And their terms are antithetical to our interests.