• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Feds want to prosecute vet who called Suicide hotline in confidence

Neplusultra

Made a pile of them and no SN required. That's not an ATF regulation, it's an IRS requirement to show the manufacturing tax was paid. There is no tax for guns made for personal use but they cannot be sold without it.

There are some obscure ATF rules that hint at some type of identifier. While that's not written in stone I always put the date as in 022112pn. The pn being my initials.

To read the law get a copy of the manufacturers handbook (yellow publication if I remember right) from ATF. It's free.
Virginia law makes it a crime to remove or alter a serial number but there is no requirement there be one in the first place.

If you ever decide to sell it, you can get an ATF number and stamp it. Then it's legal to sell.

I don't know how good a machinist you are but if you can get ahold of some of the books written by Frank DeHaas, he gives very good plans for laminated receivers. I've built them up to 45/70. These are Rolling Blocks.

AR receivers are easy after you mill one the first time. Mauser style Bolt Actions are a PITA and unless you have a full machine shop and a lot of gunsmithing experience, best left alone.

Inline shotguns can be built half drunk and without glasses.

Peter, perhaps you could give Duvall's lawyer a call and inform him of the laws. My experience was that the prosecution, the judges, the LEO's *and* my lawyer had no idea what the laws actually were. I finally found them MYSELF after contacting someone I thought would know the law. Someone like you. The case ended up being dismissed. Give him a call if you would just to make sure he knows what' going on.

since9

Campaign Veteran
The case outraged veterans groups, who said that the government should not prosecute those seeking help. They feared that Duvall’s prosecution could have a chilling effect on distressed veterans at a time when they are committing suicide at a rate of 18 per day.

That figure is way too high. Do the math -- I do not believe 65,700 veterans have committed suicide in the last 10 years.

Here's an article that seems to confirm it, at least in the headlines. When you do the math on statements such as "...there are an average of 950 suicide attempts each month by veterans..." and "Seven percent of the attempts are successful...", you wind up with 2.2 suicides per day, not 18. (950*.07/30)

Regardless, as a Veteran, I am outraged! It makes no difference that the lady who took the call had the authority to call the local police. She also had the authority to handle it much differently than she did, and proximity to Va Tech should have made ZERO difference in her approach. What if he'd been next to a fish market? What the Sam Hill difference does it make? She's got a guy on the phone indicating he's suicidal. That's ALL that matters.

Oh, and for what it's worth, folks who call suicide hotlines aren't the sort of people who go on shooting rampages. There's a HUGE difference between the mentality of suiciders and the likes of Cho and Loughner.

Sangre

I've been trying to follow this case as best I can, it really bothers me :/ It looks like the U.S. Attorneys office has agreed to delay the trial for 6 months, and allow Duval to enter into some sort of diversion program to possibly have the charges dismissed. I really don't think the charges are founded in the first place, the whole thing is just :mad::mad::mad:

http://valawyersweekly.com/vlwblog/...moves-to-delay-case-against-suicidal-veteran/