• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No 1st A About 2nd A in School

stainless1911

Banned
I took Eko shooting today, we got to talking about stuff. I let her shoot the .40, and I said to her, "Now you can tell your friends you got to shoot your dads .40". She told me, "We aren't allowed to talk about guns in school".

Wait, WTF?

I said "What do you mean, you're not allowed to talk about guns in school?" She said, "Yep, we can't talk about them, or we'll get suspended". "Ohellno" I said. "You can talk about whatever you want in school, and if you get suspended, you're not in trouble". I said, it don't matter if you are 9 or 90 you have freedom of speech in this country, if you want to talk about God, guns, or anything else that doesn't hurt anybody else, you can, and if they say anything about it, I'll go down there myself and deal with it".

She said, "Oh we can talk about religion, or whatever else we want to, we just can't talk about guns". I said, "Lemme get this straight, you have a first amendment right, and you can talk about it, but you can't talk about the sacond amendment". She says, pretty much". I said, Well, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense now, does it?. She says, "Nope." I tell ya, the girl knows what's up, even though she's only in the 4th grade.

So, my 9 year old daughter, who is a pretty darn good shot by the way, can't talk to her friends or teachers when she goes out to the range, or if I bring her to one of the OC picnics with you fine people.

Rant off.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
just told her, she's sitting on my lap right now, "If you get suspended, just tell them, "Thats ok, you can suspend me, and my dad will just take me to the range".

I swear, if she does get suspended, that's exactly what's gonna happen. Daddy daughter day at the range, we're gonna go make some noise. F-that.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I talk about guns quite a bit. Not in a "glorification of violence" sort of way, more as a "tool for a job" sort of way. Is there a written policy somewhere that the district has? Or, as is most likely the case, that some anti has misapplied whatever rules exist.

I was pleasantly shocked earlier this Fall when my daughter came home and talked to me about the Bill of Rights and that their teacher said that,at least according to the Constitution, the Government can't make laws against that right. My daughter even told the class that her dad carries a gun "all the time". Some of the kids asked if I was a cop or wore it for my job.... she told me that she said "No, he's a teacher".
Last weekend, she told me that while discussing hunting in class, another student said that they were afraid of guns. My daughter said "Why, it isn't like a gun is just going to just shoot somebody if no one is there to pull the trigger". :)

Last edited:

Yance

Glad to see you getting your daughter around firearms and shooting and that she can handle herself a .40:shocker: My girl (22) just started shooting .22 and isnt too keen on 9mm yet..wait til I tell her this! :p

You know, this reminds me of the kid that got suspended for taking bites out of his pizza and getting suspended because he shaped it into a gun...

I remember being in school making paper "guns", we would fold the paper up and it would look like a gun...teacher only took them because we were being distracting to other students and all they did was throw them away lol.

The middle school I used to go to even had a shooting team back in the 40's and 50's I believe it was, things have gotten way out of hand. I certainly blame the parents for their kids taking guns to school...first, education, teach them about guns and that its not a toy and real guns should never be used as a toy and should only be handled when you (the adult) are around, second, the gun should be locked up and secured somewhere the child, A.) doesnt know where its at and B.) cant access it if they do know where its at. But its pretty ridiculous that she can talk about religion and whatever else she wants to talk about but cant talk about how her dad is teaching her gun safety and how she went shooting? What happened to the world?

Yance

I talk about guns quite a bit. Not in a "glorification of violence" sort of way, more as a "tool for a job" sort of way. Is there a written policy somewhere that the district has? Or, as is most likely the case, that some anti has misapplied whatever rules exist.

I was pleasantly shocked earlier this Fall when my daughter came home and talked to me about the Bill of Rights and that their teacher said that,at least according to the Constitution, the Government can't make laws against that right. My daughter even told the class that her dad carries a gun "all the time". Some of the kids asked if I was a cop or wore it for my job.... she told me that she said "No, he's a teacher".
Last weekend, she told me that while discussing hunting in class, another student said that they were afraid of guns. My daughter said "Why, it isn't like a gun is just going to just shoot somebody if no one is there to pull the trigger". :)

Sounds like shes paying attention..good for her!

stainless1911

Banned
All I know, is what she toldme at this point, aside from the song and dance they gave us last year. I'll find out.

I wanted her to have fun with guns, but to be able to defend herself if need be. She knows how to field strip then XD and the M&P, and can already load up to 5 rounds in a magazine, rack, aim, and fire a .40 with sufficient accuracy, and still maintain control of the weapon.

xmanhockey7

My brother one time said the word "bomb" in school. Not in a threatening way or anything just talking about bombs he had learned about from someone we know in the military. They called my mom into the school and said if he used the word again he would be expelled.

xmanhockey7

I remember being in the 5th grade (2002) and our teaching saying if we ever see someone walking around the school with a gun to tell a teacher immediately! Looking back it's amazing how antigun school was. If we had anything that even resembled a gun we couldn't have it. I also remember learning about the constitution in the 3rd grade and the only thing that was mentioned about the 2nd amendment that it allowed people to have guns. At that time I didn't understand why our founding farthers would put such a thing in the constitution or why we really need something to allow us to own guns. I also remember my liberal 7th grade English teacher saying having a reasonable restriction like a waiting period to purchase a gun was a good idea and asked someone in the class to explain why. Sorry for the rambling just figured I'd post some of my experiences.

Paul C

:eek: they do smell like atomic bombs :) it's ok cause your cousin in-laws dad OC's at the meetings he has with said teachers. .. his younger brother now... he will stand up, look you in the eye and say " You know, OC is legal in Michigan" as I found out last week when he was "educating" a Macomb County deputy;)

Blasted out with my Photon using Tapatalk

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
All I know, is what she told me at this point, aside from the song and dance they gave us last year. I'll find out.

I wanted her to have fun with guns, but to be able to defend herself if need be. She knows how to field strip then XD and the M&P, and can already load up to 5 rounds in a magazine, rack, aim, and fire a .40 with sufficient accuracy, and still maintain control of the weapon.

Just don't have her show them for "Show and Tell"... just kidding. I've met your daughter and as I recall, she is just as "independent" as mine... same age too. God bless them!

Oh, I don't doubt that she was told this. I was just wondering what the official policy is. What I've found to often be the case is that a policy against promoting "violence" or "threatening harm to others" becomes interpreted to mean "no mention of guns, bombs, etc". I would find it very difficult to be able to discuss history or current events at any grade level with no mention of the tools that are used... whether they are used for good or evil. I do know teachers and other staff who have felt that they needed to keep their hobbies... such as shooting guns, under a strict don't ask, don't tell policy. I think you might be surprised the number of school staff that have a CPL, that hunt, that shoot (IDPA, Skeet, IHMSA, etc). Last year, about 80% of my school's staff had a CPL and many others shot regularly. This year, I've found that a majority of the new staff likewise have similar avocations. I do work with a (new) person who proclaimed she didn't like guns, but that's slowly changing. In fact, just last week she said that MAYBE she would like to go to a range and actually shoot some handguns... this from someone who marched with the MillionMoms (sic). :cool: Who knows, last Anti I did that with about 5 years ago now has a CPL and carries 24/7.

I do worry, though, about what is happening in a nearby county, where school boards are demanding that staff contracts call for the possible termination of teachers partaking in any behaviors, off the job, that the school board defines as not reflecting the proper role that teachers have as educators. Could my OC get me fired?? Could my discussions here be held against me??

Last edited:

lil_freak_66

in my 6th grade(03) i was nearly suspended for having magazines from the north american hunting club on me for personal reading time, because they had "assault weapons"(a scoped winchester elk gun???) but other classmates were reading things glorifying "thug life" and illegal drugs without issue.

I do know a younger girl that defies these types of rules down in wyandotte, wearing militia shirts on occasion to school, her father is a team leader in the smvm, and she is very supportive in school of the 2A and such for being only 13, she also helped her father set up the "michigan junior militia corp" which is for people aged 5-17 and is similar to the boy scouts/ girl scouts but upped a bit.
http://michiganmilitia.com/projectone/jmc.htm
so, at least not all of the younger people are giving in to what they know is wrong, not yet at least..

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... "We aren't allowed to talk about guns in school"...

Can you get a copy of the exact written policy that the school has in this regard? I'll bet if they have one it'll be pretty easy to turn it around and bite them in the ass with it. Surely there is a history textbook somewhere on the campus. Oh, and what about what's in the library? Start a witch hunt.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
As a parent, do you have the right to sit on your children's classes?

NHCGRPR45

Just don't have her show them for "Show and Tell"... just kidding. I've met your daughter and as I recall, she is just as "independent" as mine... same age too. God bless them!

Oh, I don't doubt that she was told this. I was just wondering what the official policy is. What I've found to often be the case is that a policy against promoting "violence" or "threatening harm to others" becomes interpreted to mean "no mention of guns, bombs, etc". I would find it very difficult to be able to discuss history or current events at any grade level with no mention of the tools that are used... whether they are used for good or evil. I do know teachers and other staff who have felt that they needed to keep their hobbies... such as shooting guns, under a strict don't ask, don't tell policy. I think you might be surprised the number of school staff that have a CPL, that hunt, that shoot (IDPA, Skeet, IHMSA, etc). Last year, about 80% of my school's staff had a CPL and many others shot regularly. This year, I've found that a majority of the new staff likewise have similar avocations. I do work with a (new) person who proclaimed she didn't like guns, but that's slowly changing. In fact, just last week she said that MAYBE she would like to go to a range and actually shoot some handguns... this from someone who marched with the MillionMoms (sic). :cool: Who knows, last Anti I did that with about 5 years ago now has a CPL and carries 24/7.

I do worry, though, about what is happening in a nearby county, where school boards are demanding that staff contracts call for the possible termination of teachers partaking in any behaviors, off the job, that the school board defines as not reflecting the proper role that teachers have as educators. Could my OC get me fired?? Could my discussions here be held against me??

Yes IMO if the School Board were to determine that your posting and advocating well,, anything! Didn't fit with the world view of those board members and they have a signature saying that they could indeed rule you that way then yes I suppose they could. Could this be something along the lines as mandatory submission to a vehicle search?

Yance

Can your job really have the liberty to dictate what you do off the clock, off the property? What you do in your free time is not their business as long as you show up for work and get the job done without your activity in your personal time leaking into your workplace.

Stainless, good luck on looking into this...but just make sure you dont get in over your head and make any situations with the school any worse. Keep us up to date, Id like to hear what progress is hopefully being made.