• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flying to Chicago stop over

NMGlock26

I know Chicago is a living nightmare. So has any one " heard " of any one flying into Chicago as a stop ( same plane ) to their final firearms allowed destination state? From what I have read it is

1. Do not even think about it.

2. Do not even think about it.

3. Do not even think about it.

4. Think about it, but dont try it.

I really feel for any one living in Illinois. I am just passing through. Can not even imagine living there. I thought we were the United States. Not United when it comes to gun laws.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

lockman

State Researcher
You should have no problems as out of state residents you enjoy the limited transport opportunities afforded Illinois FOID card holders. If passing through Chicago and not staying more than 24 hours you should have no problem there either. The Illinois rule at it's simplest is unloaded and in a case. Loaded ok in your home property, hotel/motel room, or any specific place that you have permission to have a firearm by the owner.

NMGlock26

I think the trouble comes in place if for some reason you have to collect your luggage and then declare to board another flight. Lets say there is a problem with the aircraft , usually the airlines will collect your checked bags and transfer them to another flight that same day. If I am delayed overnight , then plan B which I will keep quiet. I have read several posts on other web sites informing that Chicago is no problem as long as you do not declare on a layover or collect your bags.

swinokur

Activist Member
If you have to lay over, explain the issue to the airline and have them store the luggage or have them make arrangements for someone (skycap?) to do it.

Bottom line, don't take possession and you should be ok

IANAL

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
If you have to lay over, explain the issue to the airline and have them store the luggage or have them make arrangements for someone (skycap?) to do it.

Bottom line, don't take possession and you should be ok

IANAL

I can't speak for others, but I flew between Chicago O'Hare and LAX and returned with a checked firearm 2 years ago. No issues at all.

xc9subcompact

Based on everything I have read here and elsewhere, when you are stopping in Chicago and just making a plane change, unless you collect your luggage and leave the airport and stay inside the jurisdiction of Chicago, you are protected by FOPA. There is nothing in IL law that prevents a non resident of IL from traveling with a firearm, as long as it is cased IAW IL law.

I recognize a recent case where someone was faced with charges in NY (or NJ) over an issue of an unplanned overnight stay. Based on the articles that spoke of the court proceedings, here is what I would do:

If someone was faced with a situation where they were going to have to stay overnight in the limits of Chicago due to a airplane mechanical problem or WX cancellation and were going to need to retrieve baggage that contains a firearm, I suggest leaving the baggage on the carousel and summoning the police, explain to them the situation and attempt to work out a way for them or the airline to hold the firearm, which is supposed to be in a locked case anyway. (good faith attempt to comply with Chicago law) If they refused to help, I would retreive the firearm and leave the city limits of Chicago to a hotel (that probably costs way less than on in the city), then upon return when the luggage must be rechecked, there would be proof that it was kept outside Chicago during the overnight stay. FOPA would then apply.

Realize that the police in Chicago have no idea what is in your baggage and no one is going to know what you have until you come into the terminal to declare the firearm when you return. That is when you need proof you started the day somewhere outside Chicago. (if the airline agent rats you out to the cops)

Last edited:

swinokur

Activist Member
FOPA applies to states, not cities. Leaving Chicago doesn't really help in this situation IMO. Have the airline stow the luggage. It's in their custody anyway.

The case you refer to is Revell vs Port Authority of NY and NJ.

xc9subcompact

It is only Chicago that is an issue. It is 100% legal to walk into ORD.MDW and declare you are in possession of a firearm to the ticket agent, provided you came from somewhere outside the jurisdiction of Chicago. Being in possesion of a firearm in IL is OK. Traveling from some other state or to some other state makes FOPA come into play. Chicago cannot prohibit transportation of a firearm thru the City/ORD/MDW. They can try to accuse someone of staying in Chicago while in possession of a firearm where a permit is required. The proof of staying outside the jurisdiction is what gets one off the hook. That way one did not "reside" in Chicago.
It is hard NOT to come into possession of your firearm if it is inside the same luggage as your underwear and you need to go to the hotel for the night. The airline is going to dump your luggage onto the carousel if the flight turns into an overnight. Nobody is going to leav it there going around in circles all night long.

birdman46g

Ohare

FYI even though Ohare isnt in the city limits of Chicago its controled by the city of Chicago. The city has complete control of Ohare includeing the vendors and police

swinokur

Activist Member
I would think the airline has more of a vested interest in your bag's security than LE would. Hence my suggestion to have the airline secure it.

If you start outside of Chicago but in IL with a weapon in your bag, are you now not concealing the weapon?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I may goto indiana in june and might have a quick layover [an hour or two], can i get a link to illinois firearm laws?

If you have a license to conceal, this would effectively serve as a FOID since you are a visitor.
see: http://goo.gl/U7Cwr

This link has links to just about everything you'd need to know about Illinois gun law. I have traveled many times in Illinois legally with my firearm with me and, if you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

And here is one for your time in Indiana: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf

You can look up any sate's laws here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/ This website is a fairly good "go-to" reference for the US.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Even if a non resident starts his trip in IL?

Yes, if certain requirements are met, the law is covered pretty well in the 1st link posted above. Yes, it is a court case, but they detail it. Also, since you are going to go through Chicago, a look at the city's laws are wise to be sure you are good to go.
see Article II, 8-20-085, and 8-20-140 at this link, you could be exempt under any of the provisions.
http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ordinances/chicago.pdf