• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flying to Chicago stop over

awnuts

It is only Chicago that is an issue. It is 100% legal to walk into ORD.MDW and declare you are in possession of a firearm to the ticket agent, provided you came from somewhere outside the jurisdiction of Chicago. Being in possesion of a firearm in IL is OK. Traveling from some other state or to some other state makes FOPA come into play. Chicago cannot prohibit transportation of a firearm thru the City/ORD/MDW. They can try to accuse someone of staying in Chicago while in possession of a firearm where a permit is required. The proof of staying outside the jurisdiction is what gets one off the hook. That way one did not "reside" in Chicago.
It is hard NOT to come into possession of your firearm if it is inside the same luggage as your underwear and you need to go to the hotel for the night. The airline is going to dump your luggage onto the carousel if the flight turns into an overnight. Nobody is going to leav it there going around in circles all night long.

Hate to say this but Ohare is part of chicago.Hence all the CPD at the airport and few know it but theres a ribbon of hard land physicaly connecting Ohare To chicago.It runs right through the western burbs and across manhiem road right into Ohare.Look at the local maps to verify.Technicaly if your in Ohare your in chicago same for Midway Airport.As for my experience traveling with a weapon at Ohare its a pain in the butt.The last time I declared the weapon I had 3 supervisors and a couple of cops watching me and they had me open the case 3 times and then follow them to the xray and conveyor.I will say heres a tip, if you see a skycap while waiting inline tell them you have a gun to declare.Each time I did I got moved to the front of the line.And if your there with your bags after a flight go on do your buisness and dont mention you got a gun. I've been there a number of times and had no probs getting out of the airport it was just coming back for my flight that sucked to get home.Also once your off the plane with your bags why say anything to anyone where your going or you got a gun in your bag? I lived in that crooked state on the northside of chicago 43 years and didnt tell anyone I had guns.

awnuts

FYI even though Ohare isnt in the city limits of Chicago its controled by the city of Chicago. The city has complete control of Ohare includeing the vendors and police

Look at a map theres a ribbon of hard land connecting the city to Ohare.It was planned long ago when built. The same for Midway Airport too.

junglebob

Yes, if certain requirements are met, the law is covered pretty well in the 1st link posted above. Yes, it is a court case, but they detail it. Also, since you are going to go through Chicago, a look at the city's laws are wise to be sure you are good to go.
see Article II, 8-20-085, and 8-20-140 at this link, you could be exempt under any of the provisions.
http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ordinances/chicago.pdf

Go to the link and you can get Chicago ordinances, as ComradeV says transporting in Illinois is not a problem for non-residents. Illinois actually has some good transport laws, some local ordinaces may not be as good. In Illinois you can transport an unloaded handgun in a case along with a loaded magazine. Yes this is "unloaded" in Illinois, it may not be in your state. This applys in your vehicle as well. The ISP website has the transport requirements. WARNING: Don't expect every ISP trooper to know the law. Solution to this problem is if stopped you never consent to a search. If they ask do you have any guns in your vehicle the best answer is "I have nothing illegal in my vehicle!" Their next question may be may be"You say you have nothing illegal,right, may I search your vehicle?" The best answer is No I do not consent to a search!"

junglebob

Go to the link and you can get Chicago ordinances, as ComradeV says transporting in Illinois is not a problem for non-residents. Illinois actually has some good transport laws, some local ordinaces may not be as good. In Illinois you can transport an unloaded handgun in a case along with a loaded magazine. Yes this is "unloaded" in Illinois, it may not be in your state. This applys in your vehicle as well. The ISP website has the transport requirements. WARNING: Don't expect every ISP trooper to know the law. Solution to this problem is if stopped you never consent to a search. If they ask do you have any guns in your vehicle the best answer is "I have nothing illegal in my vehicle!" Their next question may be may be"You say you have nothing illegal,right, may I search your vehicle?" The best answer is No I do not consent to a search!"

A brochure can be downloaded from the ISP website titled "How to legally transport your firearm in Illinois" . Unlike NJ or NY you don't get horror stories about non-residents flying in or out of OHare or Midway with firearms. Maybe you'll get a frown from that Chicago cop, so be it.