• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting a Handgun

Firedawg314

oh ok cool...i thought suppressors were illegal even if you feel out the federal forms and i think you have to be 21 anyway...I guess I'm mostly worried about the police because most if not all don't know the law at all

"suppressors" are LEGAL... "slientsors" are ILLEGAL. But most cops don't know the difference and some come from areas like ST. City and think the laws are the same in the county.

Hostile314

You are "half" right. In St. Louis county, the laws are riddle with crap that will get you in jail, if you open carry without a CCW. I live in Florissant, and its ok to OC, but only if you have a CCW. And other counties here if you OC, you will go STRIGHT to jail.

Oh ok and florissant is one of the main areas that i be in...and I can own a handgun now even without my CCW but not allowed to carry on my person...Also where can I find ads or something to buy handguns from a private seller?

Shooter64738

"suppressors" are LEGAL... "slientsors" are ILLEGAL. But most cops don't know the difference and some come from areas like ST. City and think the laws are the same in the county.

Could you explain the difference between a suppressor, and this 'silentsor'?
Are you referring to a device that will diminish the report of a firearm? Are you referring to a flash hider, versus a sound muffler?

None of those are illegal with the proper paperwork.

Last edited:

Oramac

There is no difference for you whether you got in in MO or Maine, with the single (quite notable) exception of the fact that you are exempt from the GFSZ law ONLY when you are in the state that issued your your permit. As a matter of fact, I wish I could get a KS permit for that very reason.

All good info. The bolded part is VERY important.

Last edited:

Oramac

Could you explain the difference between a suppressor, and this 'silentsor'?
Are you referring to a device that will diminish the report of a firearm? Are you referring to a flash hider, versus a sound muffler?

None of those are illegal with the proper paperwork.

True silencers do not exist. It's just a common word used to describe a broad field of noise suppressors. Because that's all they do: suppress the noise of the firearm. You can still hear it, even if "it" is just the sound of the action cycling. The report is still there, it just isn't loud enough to be of consequence.

Fun fact: firearm suppressors were invented by a hippie. He thought guns were scaring the birds, so he built a suppressor. :D

Redbaron007

....[snip]

Fun fact: firearm suppressors were invented by a hippie. He thought guns were scaring the birds, so he built a suppressor. :D

I haven't that one in a while. I can use that on a anti-gun person I'll be seeing tonight. :lol:

Shooter64738

True silencers do not exist. It's just a common word used to describe a broad field of noise suppressors. Because that's all they do: suppress the noise of the firearm. You can still hear it, even if "it" is just the sound of the action cycling. The report is still there, it just isn't loud enough to be of consequence.

So then which one is the illegal one?
I would like to have a clarification on what Firedawg is declaring as a silencer, and how it is illegal, and how one cannot tell the difference between the silencer and the suppressor. Yet one is legal and the other is not.

Oramac

So then which one is the illegal one?
I would like to have a clarification on what Firedawg is declaring as a silencer, and how it is illegal, and how one cannot tell the difference between the silencer and the suppressor. Yet one is legal and the other is not.

At the risk of starting something, I believe that Firedawg may be mistaken. There are 2 different names for the same piece of equipment.

They are either legal, or illegal. This depends on the state you live in and the laws in that state regarding suppressors (Many laws do refer to them as silencers. This could be a source of confusion). In Missouri, last I checked, you have to get a tax stamp to own a suppressor. If I remember right, getting the stamp takes something like a year waiting period and $1000. Though this could easily have changed since I last looked into it.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Silencers and suppressors are the same thing and legal for most states, but I will not answer for yours. Some people just get their panties in a wad if you call them silencers, because they rarely truly silence (De Lisle carbine, anyone?).

The Federal registration is $200. I assumed it included the background check. There can certainly be other fees involved, however. The suppressors themselves are expensive. There may be a transfer fee from the dealer, or other fees in the state perhaps.

Shooter64738

At the risk of starting something, I believe that Firedawg may be mistaken. There are 2 different names for the same piece of equipment.

They are either legal, or illegal. This depends on the state you live in and the laws in that state regarding suppressors (Many laws do refer to them as silencers. This could be a source of confusion). In Missouri, last I checked, you have to get a tax stamp to own a suppressor. If I remember right, getting the stamp takes something like a year waiting period and $1000. Though this could easily have changed since I last looked into it.

I believe he may be mistaken as well, but I wanted to see if knows of some different legal interpretation than I do.

Missouri does give them the title of 'Firearms Silencer', which by definition is: "any instrument, attachment, or appliance that is designed or adapted to muffle the noise made by the firing of any firearm"

Others states and even the federal government call them 'mufflers', 'sound suppressors', 'suppressors', 'silencers', etc.. But then there are also the 'flash hider' and 'flash suppressor' which have nothing to do with sound suppression.

Missouri's recent law changes make acquiring one of these a little easier, and it now only costs the $200+the cost of the device. Unless you build it yourself, and then it only costs you the $200.

Oramac

Missouri's recent law changes make acquiring one of these a little easier, and it now only costs the $200+the cost of the device. Unless you build it yourself, and then it only costs you the $200.

Didn't know that. Great news! Thanks for the update.

EDIT: can anyone link the statute that applies to this?

Last edited:

I believe he may be mistaken as well, but I wanted to see if knows of some different legal interpretation than I do.

Missouri does give them the title of 'Firearms Silencer', which by definition is: "any instrument, attachment, or appliance that is designed or adapted to muffle the noise made by the firing of any firearm"

Others states and even the federal government call them 'mufflers', 'sound suppressors', 'suppressors', 'silencers', etc.. But then there are also the 'flash hider' and 'flash suppressor' which have nothing to do with sound suppression.

He has a bad habit of inserting his think so into a discussion as being law when he doesn't know what he is talking about. He has been called out on it before.

Shooter64738

Didn't know that. Great news! Thanks for the update.

EDIT: can anyone link the statute that applies to this?
(7) is the one for this. It used to require that you get an FFL of some type (most got the C&R). The FFL requirement has been dropped now and you only need to comply with federal law. Get a tax stamp and your set!

571.020. 1. A person commits a crime if such person knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:

(1) An explosive weapon;

(2) An explosive, incendiary or poison substance or material with the purpose to possess, manufacture or sell an explosive weapon;

(3) A gas gun;

(4) A switchblade knife;

(5) A bullet or projectile which explodes or detonates upon impact because of an independent explosive charge after having been shot from a firearm; or

(6) Knuckles; or

(7) Any of the following in violation of federal law:

(a) A machine gun;

(b) A short-barreled rifle or shotgun; or

(c) A firearm silencer.

Hostile314

(7) is the one for this. It used to require that you get an FFL of some type (most got the C&R). The FFL requirement has been dropped now and you only need to comply with federal law. Get a tax stamp and your set!

571.020. 1. A person commits a crime if such person knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:

(1) An explosive weapon;

(2) An explosive, incendiary or poison substance or material with the purpose to possess, manufacture or sell an explosive weapon;

(3) A gas gun;

(4) A switchblade knife;

(5) A bullet or projectile which explodes or detonates upon impact because of an independent explosive charge after having been shot from a firearm; or

(6) Knuckles; or

(a) A machine gun;

(b) A short-barreled rifle or shotgun; or

(c) A firearm silencer.

how old do you have to be because im interested in Form 1 where u can build ur own

Oramac

(c) A firearm silencer.

At the risk of being needy, where is the applicable federal law? I ran a quick google, but I'm at work at the moment and can't always see the internet correctly (damn filters).

Shooter64738

how old do you have to be because im interested in Form 1 where u can build ur own
I started building well after I was 18, so I have no personal experience in this area. However, some close associates have told me the following:
You must be 21 to purchase an NFA item from a federally licensed dealer.
You must be 18 to submit a Form 1 to build an NFA item.

In all cases you cannot violate federal law on possession of a firearm. Possessing even a piece of a suppressor, or trigger group from a full auto weapon (EVEN IF PROPERLY REGISTERED) would violate 922 if:
You became/were a felon
You were/are convicted of a crime of violence
You were/are adjudicated incompetent
Any other criteria of violation of 18 USC 922
In other words, since the ATF classes these items as firearms, even though a trigger group, or suppressor on it's own won't shoot any ammunition, it's still a 'firearm'

So in essence if you could legally own a firearm, you could make your own NFA firearm (except a full auto weapon) for your personal use.

Google search will turn up some resources for you, on making a suppressor.
Again I have no personal experience with this particular situation. Another route you might take is to form an LLC or a trust and have the trust or LLC own the NFA item.

At the risk of being needy, where is the applicable federal law? I ran a quick google, but I'm at work at the moment and can't always see the internet correctly (damn filters).

The applicable law for making of a suppressor?
The ATF Classes them all as a firearm. Suppressors, sbr, sbs, pistols, handguns, rifles, all of that is a 'firearm' The suppressor is an NFA firearm, so I would think a combination of Title II and 18 USC 922 is applicable.

NFA info is here:
http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/nfa-handbook/
making in particular is here:
http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-6.pdf

922 is here:
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/18/I/44/922
Misc. forms and general info:
http://www.atf.gov/

Last edited:

Oramac