• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

April 1 Utah lowers its CHP fees From $60 to $51.25 - Class on Sat. March 10 At 11AM

Vanns40

Beginning April 1, 2012 the total non-resident fee for a Utah CFP will be $51.25, down from $60.00.

My next Utah class is Sat., March 10 in Tyson's Corner. If you take the course and immediately submit the application the fee for the permit is $60, however, if you hold on to the application and submit it after April 1 the fee is only $51.25.

Class fee is $85.

This class is being held at Tyson's Corner!

This class includes the Utah mandated fingerprinting (no trudging off to a police dept. and paying extra) and an addressed envelope, you bring a copy of your drivers license and VA CHP (if applicable), a passport size photo and two stamps and you're ready to drop it in the mail!

Utah now requires that if you are a resident of a "shall issue" State (VA is, MD & DC are not) you must have a home State concealed carry permit in order to obtain a Utah Permit. If you do not already have a VA permit I will provide a certificate that meets VA's requirements for training.

Class starts at 11AM and runs approx. 4 hours. This is a classroom only course and we require that you already be familiar with handguns to attend. After the Utah Class I give an "after the class", class which covers your eyes and low light/night shooting, moving while shooting and different scenarios you, hopefully, will never run into.

NOTE: Wisconsin has announced that they now recognize Utah permits but, at this time, do not recognize VA permits.

For more information call 703-828-7058 or go to: www.utahconcealedcarryclass.com

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Utah now requires that if you are a resident of a "shall issue" State...you must have a home State concealed carry permit in order to obtain a Utah Permit....

Slight correction, please.

"Shall issue" is not the criteria. If your state recognizes the UT permit, you must have your home state's permit first.

For example, Texas and Nevada are both "shall issue" states.

A TX resident must get a TX permit before he is eligible for a UT permit. TX recognizes the UT permit, and they don't want Texans carrying in TX with only a UT permit.
A NV resident is not required to get a NV permit before getting a UT permit because NV doesn't recognize the UT permit anyway.

Since VA does recognize the UT permit, this does not effect a difference for your VA audience, as yes, they will need their VA permit in hand before they can send in the UT application.

Last edited:

1911 Enthusiast

Looks like resident VA CHP holders pick up AL, GA, MN and WA for $145. Did I miss any?

Also, are there other benefits to having a UT non-resident permit (which I assume has to be renewed periodically) in addition to gaining these four states?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
And I guess WI can be added to the list of VA resident CHP holders. So is it five additional states?

When did Wisconsin recognize VA resident CHPs? I know they recognize VA non-resident CHPs, but that's because of an additional hoop needed to be gone through.

Cite, please?

stay safe.

1911 Enthusiast

I guess I didn't write that very well, did I skidmark?

What I meant to say was that someone with a resident VA CHP could add WI to the list of states they were allowed to CC in if they got a UT non-resident CFP.

Sorry I wasn't more precise.

I still don't understand the WI reasoning for not accepting VA resident CHP permits (while accepting non-resident VA permits) since VA resident applicants are screened against the federal and state database files. Our resident restrictions are even more rigorous than the non-resident restrictions! It appears to me that whomever made that WI decision doesn't understand the full extent of exactly what databases consulted before a VA resident permit is issued.

mk4

I still don't understand the WI reasoning for not accepting VA resident CHP permits (while accepting non-resident VA permits) since VA resident applicants are screened against the federal and state database files. Our resident restrictions are even more rigorous than the non-resident restrictions! It appears to me that whomever made that WI decision doesn't understand the full extent of exactly what databases consulted before a VA resident permit is issued.

do you have a cite for which dbs are checked? i've been searching, but haven't come up with an authoritative source.
tia!

Felix

do you have a cite for which dbs are checked? i've been searching, but haven't come up with an authoritative source.
tia!

I'm not 1911 but I think they are all listed on this page.

mk4

I'm not 1911 but I think they are all listed on this page.

thanks.
i've read that page extensively and believe it's specifically speaking to purchases and the vftp. i've not been able to find any page, at vsp or elsewhere, that is authoritative on the dbs checked prior to the permission slip being issued.

Felix

Guess I'd better shut up then, I thought the webpage I referenced listed the databases you were looking for. Sorry!

National and state databases are accessed simultaneously at the time of transaction. Four are maintained by the Virginia Department of State Police, accessible by the Virginia Criminal Information Network (VCIN): Virginia’s wanted and missing persons files and protective orders, Virginia’s criminal history record files, a calendar file on handgun purchases required to monitor and enforce lawful handgun limitations and Virginia’s database of adjudications of legal incompetence and incapacity, and involuntary commitments to mental institutions for inpatient or outpatient treatment.

The fifth database accessed during this check is the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) which searches the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) consisting of the Wanted Persons File, Protection Order File, Interstate Identification Index (III), Deported Felons File, US Secret Service Protective File, Foreign Fugitive File, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms’ Violent Felon File, and NICS indexes: Illegal/Unlawful Aliens File, Mental Defectives/Commitments File, Dishonorable Discharges, Citizenship Renunciants, Controlled Substance Abuse File and Denied Persons File.

oldbanger

NON-RESIDENT PROOF OF PERMIT
If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah concealed firearm permit (CFP) or has reciprocity with Utah, you must obtain a CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy of it with your application for a Utah permit.

Of the states below that have formalized reciprocity or recognition with Utah, there are some states that will only accept the Utah concealed firearm permit so long as the permit holder is a resident of Utah.

the State of Utah has formal reciprocity (written agreement) with the following states:-

Alabama
Alaska
Colorado
Florida
Georgia
Louisiana
Mississippi
New Hampshire
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
South Dakota
Texas
Virginia
Washington State
West Virginia

The following states recognize the Utah concealed firearm permit:-

Arizona
Arkansas
Delaware
Idaho
Indiana
Iowa
Kentucky
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
Tennessee
Vermont
Wisconsin
Wyoming

The following states DO NOT recognize the Utah concealed firearm permit:-

California
Connecticut
Hawaii
Illinois
Kansas
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Nevada
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
Oregon
Rhode Island
South Carolina

For a list of reciprocal states visit: http://www.publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQother.html
Residency will be determined by your state-issued identification.
If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply.

mk4

Guess I'd better shut up then, I thought the webpage I referenced listed the databases you were looking for. Sorry!

no worries, friend. thanks for trying.
i'm not finding the info anywhere. you'd think that, at a minimum, the permission slip bg check would use the vftp standards, but who knows? wi sure believes that it doesn't include a nics query for residents. confusing... :confused: