• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Polling place carry

Chaingun81

I recently moved from Fairfax to Prince William County and my new polling location does not appear to be a school. Does that mean I can OC/CC there? Anyone else voting there and knows the rules? Here is the location info:

DEVELOPMENT SERVICES BUILDING

5 County Complex Court
Woodbridge VA 22192

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
If it is not a school or a courthouse and is a county or state owned building I see no reason why you should not be able to carry there. Carry in local government buildings is covered by Virginia's preemption law.

Cite.

I served as an election official here in Fairfax County for the November election. It was in a library and I carried the entire time without incident. Unfortunately, when I serve in March for the Republican primary, I will be in a school, so no carry for me.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
If it is not a school or a courthouse and is a county or state owned building I see no reason why you should not be able to carry there. Carry in local government buildings is covered by Virginia's preemption law.

Cite.

I served as an election official here in Fairfax County for the November election. It was in a library and I carried the entire time without incident. Unfortunately, when I serve in March for the Republican primary, I will be in a school, so no carry for me.

Didn't you do a very detailed writeup of your Polling Place experience SD?
If it was you, might be good to link it for the new folks.

Last edited:

Chaingun81

Thanks for the responses guys. From everything I'm seeing this building is publicly owned and does not fall into a list of prohibited places, so I should be ok. So I guess my question was more of a sanity check to see if I'm overlooking something and also to see if there is anyone here who votes at the same location and has first hand experience carrying there.

va_tazdad

Never had a problem

In 2009, 2010, and 2011 I voted with my Taurus 45 OC. The little old ladies got wide eyed, but nobody said anything. I vote in a "Community Center" not a school.

I am not sure how they work it in NOVA any more as I escaped there in 1983. I moved to Richmond for a quieter and slower pace for my life and my children, but now my middle daughter and her husband have bought a house up there.

What they were thinking I will never know.