• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Md General Assembly Live Video Feed for today's Testimonies...

Dreamer

For those of you who are interested in watching the Testimonies before the MD House Judiciary Committee today, I think this link will give you the streaming video:

http://mgahouse.maryland.gov/House/....aspx?peid=5eb4367804774ccfa3126c95541e82e21d

if that doesn't work, then you're going to have to go to the main list, and find the right date and time, and choose it manually:

http://mgahouse.maryland.gov/House/Catalog/catalogs/default.aspx

You'll need to download and install "Silverstream" to watch thee videos. It's a proprietary video streaming client that the MD GA uses, and if you don't have it installed already, when you hit the links above, it should prompt you for the download...

Mr H

Thanks for coming out today and joining the fight.

It was good to speak with you afterwards, as well... and nice to put a face to the persona.

I think--as I mentioned earlier--that it was indeed an incremental step forward. It's just a matter of how big the increment is (and who is willing to listen).

Dreamer

It was good to meet you too.

I noticed a rather interesting change in the tone of the people testifying today, compared to the last 2 years.

In 2010 at the "Reciprocity" hearing, everyone testifying "for" the bill was painfully polite--cow-towing to the Chairman and the Committee, and being almost apologetic in their delivery (I'll admit, me too, since it was my first time there).

Last year, I could not attend, but watched it via the live stream. It seemed like two or three people came with a bit of an attitude, and their frustration with the Committee's "desk-drawer veto" strategy was starting to show. A few even mentioned it, I think...

This year, I'd estimate that a good 25 or 30% of the people brought a serious attitude to the table--and all I can say is that IT IS ABOUT TIME! Chairman Vallerio runs these hearings in the most rude, disrepsectful manner I think I've ever seen in a legislative setting. He naps during testimonies, he gets up and leaves when women testify, he cuts people off when they say things he doesn't like, and he ignores the "pro-bill" delegates requests to ask questions of the people testifying.

Vallario cut me off PRECISELY at 3:00 minutes. Perhaps it was because I stated that anyone who would value a Krugerrand, a bottle fo prescription drugs,or a diamond necklace more than my 2-year-old granddaughter is a sociopath (which is EXACTLY what the MSP does in practice and implementation of "good and substantial reason")

Or it may have been when I accuse the Committee of being "duplicitous, racist, classist oligarchs" for their treatment of pro-gun bills in the legislature in the past.

But I was glad that Delegate Alston directed her Q&A question to me, to let me show sone of the graphics I made to the panel, to illustrate just how "good and substantial reason" works in implementation by MSP.

424162_3415793878445_1378034894_3334223_1772118671_n.jpg

Although I didn't get to finish my presentation, I DID give copies of it to Del. Alston and Del. Smigiel. I also gave copies of all my graphics (including the "MD LEO Bad Boy list, which was 5 tabloid-sized sheets of paper, taped end to end) to Smigiel.

I was THRILLED when "Delegate Mike" started his line of questioning with the MSP reps on whether they thought that average, law-abiding citizens had a greater propensity toward violence than LEOs. The rep from MSP sort of hemmed and hawed over his answer, saying something about the difficulty to predict the future behavior of people, to which Del. Mike unfolded (with a dramatic flourish) my "Bad Boys" list, and asked him what he thought about these LEOs. He then launched into what amounted to a word-for-word repeat of the paragraph from my testimony (that I was unable to deliver, because I was cut off by Vallerio) and stated the fact that EVERY violent crime committed in MD in the last 3 years by someone authorised to carry concealed was committed by an LEO, an officer of the Court, or an elected official.

The MSP rep responded to that by saying something like "well, anyone can make up a list of names" (implying that it was made-up or fabricated), so Smigiel started reading them off, and reading their violations, asking the MSP officer if he had heard of this one or that one. Of course, the three or four he read were all VERY high-profile cases, that EVERYONE in the DC-Metro area has heard of, and MSP DEFINITELY has heard of (because they were involved in the cases).

I actually got a few pats on the back in the gallery because of that...

And when we took a break, Del. Alston saw me in the lobby, and came over to thank me for my testimony, and told me that she had made copies of my testimony and distributed them to all the members of the Committee. That made me feel REALLY good too.

And afterwards, I had probably half a dozen people come up to me and thank me for my testimony. One woman said "that guy from NC really stole the show". Several people expressed their relief that someone finally started standing up to the Committee, and speaking the Truth about this matter.

So I didn't get to PERSONALLY deliver my entire presentation, but between Del. Alston's Q&A and Del. Smigiel's sampling of the part of my testimony that wasn't allowed to be delivered, I came away from the day pretty satisfied.

The only drawback is that I'll probably be jacked by some MD LEO on some dark stretch of highway by summer. But I've got the video cams, and I'm not afraid to use them...

Last edited:

Dreamer

I'll be honest, by the end of the hearing, I was almost feeling sorry for the spokesman from MSP. He was obviously unprepared, he was obviously sent there by the Superintendent to parrot the "party line" and was in no way equipped to answer any questions from the Delegates. He mumbled, bumbled and double-talked his entire way through his testimony. It was actually pretty sad, and became pretty evident that the poor guy had been sent up the proverbial "unsanity tributary" without a paddle by the Superintendent. At one point the entire gallery actually laughed out loud at one of his answers because it was so ridiculous.

MSP should stop sending their reps to these hearings if they are going to send them so dreadfully unprepared. Its no fun fencing against unarmed opponents. And to be honest, their presentation reflects badly on all LEOs, because it is so inept, unauthoritative, and ill-prepared.

I can almost excuse the lies, slander, holier-than-thou attitude, and plotocratic demeanor displayed by the MSP's reps over the last 3 years (because this IS Maryland after all, and to be expected), but the gross level of unpreparedness presented by them EVERY YEAR is simply inexcusable. Like I said, I almost felt sorry for this guy by the end of the day.

Almost...

Perhaps next time around, the Superintendent of the MSP will come himself to defend their objection to the expansion of carry rights in MD.

I'll definitely be holding my breath for that day, because when he does, I'm sure he will arrive on a golden unicorn, with a flock of flying monkeys sprinkling his path with magical rose petals... NOT...

But then again, it always has been the practice of tyrants and oligarchs to send their minions to do the "dirty work" for them, while they reside behind the shield of illegitimate authority and power...

Last edited:

Mr H

Where the MSP officers were concerned...

I came away with the impression that the Lieutenant--for whom I did have some sympathy--has a different personal opinion than he was sent to voice for his superiors. In private life, I would put a nickel down that he was a lot more "pro" than he dared admit in-hearing.

The Corporal, however... He still has a lot of ladder-climbing to do, and is staunchly in the pockets of his keepers... so, he spouts the 'company line'.

Dreamer

Where the MSP officers were concerned...

I came away with the impression that the Lieutenant--for whom I did have some sympathy--has a different personal opinion than he was sent to voice for his superiors. In private life, I would put a nickel down that he was a lot more "pro" than he dared admit in-hearing.

The Corporal, however... He still has a lot of ladder-climbing to do, and is staunchly in the pockets of his keepers... so, he spouts the 'company line'.

I understand where you're coming from.

But they could always call in sick, if they actually had scruples...

This isn't merely about job security, or following orders, or obeying a superior. Their performance--year after year--is about tacit participation in a system they know is corrupt, they know is being run by a hadful of elitist oligarchs who LITERALLY send them--unprepared, unarmed, and not allowed to actually answer questions--to the slaughter every year i the GA, ad yet they keep coming back.

They are either complicit in the oppression of Marylanders, or they are masochists.

Either way, they are a disgrace to the flag they wear on their shoulder, and the badge they wear on their chest.

Oh, and BTW, Not only did Frank Conaway use his office to obtain a MD carry permit, but the MSP may have issued it in violation of the Lautenberg Amendment:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wBPJrxj6ovk/TwZQ48KfI9I/AAAAAAAAAKg/-CxeMaZSnSI/s1600/conaway.tiff

And it seems to be a trend in the Conaway family to beat your spouse. I'm actually quite surprised that nobody asked Frank Jr. if he had a MD permit. He had a restraining order placed on him in 2003 by his ex-wife. I'd be VERY curious to see the PIA info on permit applications by members of the Committee...

The apple doesnt fall far from the tree...

Last edited:

Sig229

Damn, Dreamer you really did well!

Maybe next time i will try to be there and tell them why I moved out of Maryland and how I applied for a CHL in MD and was denied. Even though I had a written letter from the assistant states attorney of the circuit court in Anne Arundel County supporting my need for a MD carry permit.

If we ever meet, I'll go into full detail about it.

You guys in MD keep up the good work. Like I always say, if MD allows its citizens to carry I would move back in a heartbeat.

Dreamer

Damn, Dreamer you really did well!

Maybe next time i will try to be there and tell them why I moved out of Maryland and how I applied for a CHL in MD and was denied. Even though I had a written letter from the assistant states attorney of the circuit court in Anne Arundel County supporting my need for a MD carry permit.

Thank you! It was fun, and I met some very good people there this year.

Your testimony of your adventure through the MD Permit Application process would be GREATLY appreciated, and hopefully you can make it out next time around. You need to contact MSI, because they coordinate much of the political action in MD on this issue, and are always looking for first-hand accounts of this system, and its blatant discrimination against law-abiding citizens in MD.

http://marylandshallissue.org/

Dreamer

After reviewing the video, I was able to determine the identity of the MSP reps who gave testimony against these bills.

The MSP's main spokesman was Lt. Jerry Beason, the new Commander of the Licensing Division.

The "Subject Matter Expert on Handgun Permits", identified himself only as "Cpl. Malve" (spelling may not be correct...)

Aside from the fact that their testimony was peppered with lies and distorsions of the law (including denying that they have access to other state's crime rates or permitting processes) it is possible that their testimony is a DIRECT VIOLATION of Maryland Code §15-703, unless they are SPECIFICALLY REQUESTED by the House Judiciary Committee to give testimony.

According to the law regarding lobbying in MD, if a person receives compensation equal to or exceeding $500/year while making contact with amy member of the legislative branch with the purpose of influencing legislation, they are breaking the law. I'd be interested to see how much these two officers were paid (leave, travel, meals, etc) for their trip to Annapolis...

Last edited:

Sig229

According to the law regarding lobbying in MD, if a person receives compensation equal to or exceeding $500 while making contact with amy member of the legislative branch with the purpose of influencing legislation, they are breaking the law. I'd be interested to see how much these two officers were paid (leave, travel, meals, etc) for their trip to Annapolis...

You might want to do some research, but as far as I know they get overtime while on duty and NOT involved in policing activities.
Such as court, meetings and perhaps lobbying.