• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Restaurant carry in TN

wilsondeacon

I live in NC and have a CHP and frequently travel in TN because of relatives there.

Can someone provide me with the current status of carry inside restaurants in TN? Concealed and Open Carry? And in restaurants that serve alcohol? And in restaurants that have "no guns" signs?

Thanks in advance, but after doing a number of word searches, I could not find these answers and thought that someone in TN could provide them quickly.

Fallguy

SB3012 passed in the legislator on 05/05/10.

The Governor vetoed the bill on 05/18/10

The Senate overrode the veto on 05/27/10

The House overrode the veto on 06/04/10 and it became law (Public Chapter 1009)

http://state.tn.us/sos/acts/106/pub/pc1009.pdf

It completely repealed 39-17-1305 so there is no law against carry ANYWHERE that alcohol is served so long as the place is not posted per 39-17-1359.

It also changed 39-17-1321 to make it illegal to consume alcohol if you are within the confines of a building that serves alcohol.

Oh Shoot

... And in restaurants that have "no guns" signs?...

Statute compliant gun signs have the force of law, Class B 'meanor, $500 fine only. Certain verbal language and/or a simple gunbuster sign of any size.

Non-compliant signs haven't been tested, matter of fact we can't find anyone who has been charged with merely carrying past a sign period, yet.

I wouldn't open carry past even a non-compliant one, though, know whut I mean, Vern?

- OS